IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Could the Chester Street facility not be used?  It is looking likely that vaxes will reduce, as will PCR testing, so perhaps re-route the vax exit to back out the front door, keeping the back area and door for PCR, or vice versa. 

Far to sensible solution. Seems obvious to me that this would be the perfect answer .

10 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

Did I imagine reading somewhere local that someone was calling to test waste water for a more accurate picture of who has what/surveillance testing?

No, you’ve not imagined it. But it’s not a who has whatsurveillance just a general incidence thing, perhaps because those asking for it don’t think the rest of us can be trusted to self report LFT.

7 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

Did I imagine reading somewhere local that someone was calling to test waste water for a more accurate picture of who has what/surveillance testing?

Some of the more vocal on Twitter have asked for this. How it is more accurate, I don't know.  It would be useful if infection levels were low, I suppose, or to monitor background levels when all other testing ceases. But I can't see the point now. 

14 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

Isle of Man, with being ern, an Island and a reasonably static population with limited movement, could have been a world leader in using this technology. The sewers are well mapped too. It's a bit 1984ish, or something.

6 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Relax, the new years day dips were popular this year. We'd have known by now

Did you not see some of the creatures emerging from the sea at Peel on NYD?

All the new variants are well amongst us now... 😁

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Some of the more vocal on Twitter have asked for this. How it is more accurate, I don't know.  It would be useful if infection levels were low, I suppose, or to monitor background levels when all other testing ceases. But I can't see the point now. 

I tend to agree.  What it is useful for is picking up new outbreaks early or identifying the presence of a new variant.  There may also be some use in picking up a spike of cases, but there's not really the accuracy to estimate levels in population that I can see.  You also need good technical skills and knowledge of from where the wastewater comes, and probably also a good record of past data.

The main advantage is that it gives early notification - people will be shedding virus even before they know they have it - but to take advantage of that you need a government that can act quick.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

Yes. It seems to be doing the rounds. I don't know what people think it would tell us. 

The situation is patently obvious. We have had a big spike in Omicron infection which seems to have plateaued and now appears to be dropping.

We don't need to start analysing sewage to tell us that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I tend to agree.  What it is useful for is picking up new outbreaks early or identifying the presence of a new variant.  There may also be some use in picking up a spike of cases, but there's not really the accuracy to estimate levels in population that I can see.  You also need good technical skills and knowledge of from where the wastewater comes, and probably also a good record of past data.

The main advantage is that it gives early notification - people will be shedding virus even before they know they have it - but to take advantage of that you need a government that can act quick.

Act quick...and do what? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Need to stop worrying about new variants and start focusing on the treatment of those that get sick. 

We need to get out of the pandemic mentality and start having an endemic approach. Because that's what it is now.

• Like 1