IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I do not think the Chamber of Commerce represents the majority of businesses on the Island.   I would love to know how many members they have, someone told me it was less than 100 ? All the big boys are members, large stores, leading hotels etc but the thousands of little businesses are not this makes their influence rather skewed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, James Blonde said:

It's weird. Are there any actual real world studies on the benefits of children wearing face coverings in the school environment? 

errrrr- no, not really. Pre covid there was a study in Singapore measuring the impact on children's breathing if they wore a mask rather like an old style gas mask to protect them from air pollution. The study group of children wore the masks for five minutes and no one died so the researchers concluded no harm was done. Post covid onset research on mask wearing in children confirms that it doesn't seem to do any harm. The pressure of inhaled and exhaled air in children is lower than adults so they more at risk of experiencing breathing difficulties if anything obstructs their breathing, which is what the research is getting at. Children younger than, say, five don't seem to have the organisational skills to wear the mask effectively so it's a bit of a waste of time trying to make them.

Masks protect other people from you gobbing dollops of phlegm on them if you sneeze or cough or burst into tears. They protect you from others doing the same to you. They therefore prevent about 80% of the virus load you are emitting getting into the air around you. Children are major vectors of covid so wearing a face mask indoors reduces their potential to infect others. 

However, they don't stop an emulsion of virus particles gradually collecting in the air in a room, they reduce it and slow down it's development meaning everyone in the room has their risk of breathing in enough virus particles to make them sick reduced. So they are a good thing. It's why surgeons wear them. It's also why the fat narky bastard who won't wear one in the supermarket is a twat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Expat. said:

errrrr- no, not really. Pre covid there was a study in Singapore measuring the impact on children's breathing if they wore a mask rather like an old style gas mask to protect them from air pollution. The study group of children wore the masks for five minutes and no one died so the researchers concluded no harm was done. Post covid onset research on mask wearing in children confirms that it doesn't seem to do any harm. The pressure of inhaled and exhaled air in children is lower than adults so they more at risk of experiencing breathing difficulties if anything obstructs their breathing, which is what the research is getting at. Children younger than, say, five don't seem to have the organisational skills to wear the mask effectively so it's a bit of a waste of time trying to make them.

Masks protect other people from you gobbing dollops of phlegm on them if you sneeze or cough or burst into tears. They protect you from others doing the same to you. They therefore prevent about 80% of the virus load you are emitting getting into the air around you. Children are major vectors of covid so wearing a face mask indoors reduces their potential to infect others. 

However, they don't stop an emulsion of virus particles gradually collecting in the air in a room, they reduce it and slow down it's development meaning everyone in the room has their risk of breathing in enough virus particles to make them sick reduced. So they are a good thing. It's why surgeons wear them. It's also why the fat narky bastard who won't wear one in the supermarket is a twat.

Some sense at last, hallelujah. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

LFTs, yesterday, 118. Today 270. £300 anybody? 

Covid sickness benefits were £460 (£230 each week of isolation) up until yesterday. Payable whether or not you got paid by your employer. Now reduced to £300 and not payable if you receive sick pay or full wage from your employer. Why would people have waited until now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s mostly the fat bastards who wear them in my experience. 

It’s not, those & other stupid losers are the ones who don’t as they think rules don’t apply to them but are first to complain when there’s any delays to hospital treatments 

4 hours ago, Cambon said:

LFTs, yesterday, 118. Today 270. £300 anybody? 

Every since March 2020, every Monday's low figures (which of course relate to Sunday) have greeted with loud cries of joy that things are getting better.

Every Tuesday there's then cries of dismay as the figures go up again.

Followed by all sorts of mad conspiracy theories as to why one of these is the true picture and the other should be ignored.

Every week.  

Every fucking week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

I find the opposite actually

To both tribes = Wear one, don’t wear one.Either  is fine by me.

Neither a virologist nor an epidemiologist, I am really out of my depth here.

So many experts on MF-  I simply don’t have a firm and definitive view, but which ever tribe you do belong to please, if we meet in the supermarket or elsewhere - just pass by me by quickly - with a fair good wee margin,  and don’t stop to splutter your expert views  and mucous at me.

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Haha 1