IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

It would seem he refuses to accept that while vaccinated people can and do get infected and transmit the virus, the are much less likely to do so. 

And that's the core problem, not just with anti-vaxxers but with a lot of discussion around Covid - and around practically everything else.  A lot of people insist on seeing everything in all-or-nothing terms.  If a vaccine doesn't provide 100% guaranteed protection, then it's no use or positively dangerous.  You see the same magical thinking in a lot of vaccine-mandators as well, that it's some sort of magic talisman that means they are invulnerable.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

If we’ve reached herd immunity then the only people the unvaccinated are a danger to is themselves. 

I don't think we will ever reach "herd immunity"  in respect of Covid 19 as immunity from the vaccine and/or having it previously appears relatively short lived. I know kids now who have tested positive in the last week having also had it last September or October.  At best the vaccine or having had previously may reduce the catches of catching it or passing on and also reduce the symptoms but they appear to provide little full immunity.

On that basis it is unlikely the vaccine or having had previously provides any long term immunity then we are left with no option but to start treating as we would flu or a cold. Steps up to this point I have supported as I could understand the aim even if I might not have agreed with. But if there is no no real level of immunity then very shortly I think virtually all restrictions will need lifting.

I would though continue to vaccinate and encourage that people get vaccinated. I would not make it compulsory or make those who refuse to take it pay for any future treatment but I would not be adverse to measures whereby there was some sort of advantage if you take.  My workplace has a policy that if you are off ill with Covid you will  not get sick pay if you have chosen not to be vaccinated. Obviously there are exceptions for medical reasons. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Believe … without having any actual evidence to support that view. If we’ve reached herd immunity then the only people the unvaccinated are a danger to is themselves. 

I don't agree with you. Unvaccinated people are likely to infected more so and for longer. 

Yes they are more a danger to themselves and can actually benefit those of use who have good immune systems by giving us a little reminder and keeping our immune systems topped up.

However there are still many people who are extremely vulnerable. Even when they are vaccinated. The Unvaccinated are a danger to these people as well as themselves. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 11:26 PM, Barlow said:
On 1/4/2022 at 11:21 PM, Shake me up Judy said:

Anyone who thinks that you can make masks mandatory in schools hasn't been to school in a very long time.

Just put the word out that if you catch Covid as a teenager, then long Covid makes you go baldie bastard by the time you are 25, failing that it gives you loadsa plukes

This should do the trick:

Mail online

Man claims he has lost 1.5 inches from length of his penis after COVID caused him severe vascular damage - and doctors have told him it's irreversible

Edited by Barlow
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The Daily Mail does not dwell on truth or accuracy in fact in the last twelve months it has sunk lower and lower in the gutter I don’t know if there was a change of ownership or new editor.  

No, it has always been like that.

56 minutes ago, Banker said:

2 further deaths reported & 4 more in hospital so can’t see all restrictions being removed in next month, interesting to see if we follow England 5 day isolation period 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/two-further-covid-19-deaths-confirmed/

Two people in a month. Last reported death before these were announced was Dec 15 I think. Sad for the families involved, but in terms of society it is nothing, time to call it a day.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Two people in a month. Last reported death before these were announced was Dec 15 I think. Sad for the families involved, but in terms of society it is nothing, time to call it a day.

By call it a day what do you mean? No more reporting, no more testing or ?