IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Related to the whole Novak unvax and kicked out of Oz. 

Kelly Slater (surfer - probably the one of the greatest sportsmen in the world - 11 world championships, first at 18 and still competitive at 50; and unvaxxed).  Has been told outright by the Oz Govt, he has no chance of getting into the country. 

He has a handful of comps there imminently, which if he can't enter, will mean he has no chance realistically of contesting this year's world title. 

I understand he even owns property in Australia and has historically referred to it as his second home (he's American). 

20 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Alf really is pushing the right agenda. There’s plenty of the alarmists accusing him of being a Tory and only thinking about money but he’s 100% on the right track with where he’s going. We need to get this all back on track before the economy irretrievably tanks for small businesses. If people don’t like it they are always free to stay indoors. 

Exactly this. Some of them are even attacking him for not holding a press briefing! Very strange. 

The dog and pony show has hopefully been consigned to the history books. 

Looking towards the next steps  it will surely be scrapping testing an isolation. That's going to be a real upset to some people but it has to happen. 

I hope they don't start rolling out the scare stories about the Omicron sub variant in Denmark... but it's almost inevitable they'll try. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 1

People need deprogramming.

Doing it in stages is a good thing, as much as I'd have liked them to drop everything months ago. Dropping the confirmatory PCR, reducing isolation, a better isolation payment, now ending the requirement and 'expectation' for mask wearing. I'm prepared to slate any government for anything, but credit is due for sensible steady progress. Dropping isolation is next, but I'm not entirely sure how they're going to manage that. Isolating perfectly well people is mental though.

There will be some no doubt who will continue to try and lay some guilt about the masks. The morally right thing to do and all, showing you're a caring person or whatever, but its all bollocks really. Everyone has been offered 3 jabs, the overall societal risk has dropped hugely. If you're still worried about contracting the virus maybe consider wearing a quality mask that 'protects' you, rather than demanding normal people who don't have covid wear masks to slow the spread and make you feel 'safer'.

I know there remain some mask fans on here, I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you think they work and have watched what has gone on over the last few months everywhere then I'm afraid you lack a brain.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Related to the whole Novak unvax and kicked out of Oz. 

Kelly Slater (surfer - probably the one of the greatest sportsmen in the world - 11 world championships, first at 18 and still competitive at 50; and unvaxxed).  Has been told outright by the Oz Govt, he has no chance of getting into the country. 

He has a handful of comps there imminently, which if he can't enter, will mean he has no chance realistically of contesting this year's world title. 

I understand he even owns property in Australia and has historically referred to it as his second home (he's American). 

Why should they let him in if he doesn’t follow the regulations for admittance to Australia, I’ve got no sympathy with these anti vaxxers 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

People need deprogramming.

Doing it in stages is a good thing, as much as I'd have liked them to drop everything months ago. Dropping the confirmatory PCR, reducing isolation, a better isolation payment, now ending the requirement and 'expectation' for mask wearing. I'm prepared to slate any government for anything, but credit is due for sensible steady progress. Dropping isolation is next, but I'm not entirely sure how they're going to manage that. Isolating perfectly well people is mental though.

There will be some no doubt who will continue to try and lay some guilt about the masks. The morally right thing to do and all, showing you're a caring person or whatever, but its all bollocks really. Everyone has been offered 3 jabs, the overall societal risk has dropped hugely. If you're still worried about contracting the virus maybe consider wearing a quality mask that 'protects' you, rather than demanding normal people who don't have covid wear masks to slow the spread and make you feel 'safer'.

I know there remain some mask fans on here, I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you think they work and have watched what has gone on over the last few months everywhere then I'm afraid you lack a brain.

You're not wrong. I see many vulnerable old people still religiously wiping their shopping basket and washing their hands in cheap chemicals before meddling with their masks walking round Shoprite. They have had a number done on them big time and they will be terrified of the invisible enemy out there which may strike if they go back to normal.

Edited by Danoo
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Go on then, pretend I'm a doomer, use those stats (make them up if you want, its fine) and argue it with me.

I have no interest in talking to a doomer let alone trying to convince them of anything. The stat you mentioned should be enough to counter any argument a doomer may put forward, but sadly it won't.

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Alf really is pushing the right agenda. There’s plenty of the alarmists accusing him of being a Tory and only thinking about money but he’s 100% on the right track with where he’s going. We need to get this all back on track before the economy irretrievably tanks for small businesses. If people don’t like it they are always free to stay indoors. 

Money is the only thing we should be thinking of now when we try and get the economy back on track and livelihoods back to normal. Especially now we have eliminated any health concerns moving forwards. 

Had a long conversation with a former colleague this week.  He is in the UK and is probably one of the most intelligent and insightful people I have ever worked with.  He is retired and 'of an age'.  His wife has a respiratory condition and so they want to avoid any risk.

We spoke about Covid and I said that my biggest concern was the fear and turning it off.  His response was that when you reach an age, if returning to 'living' could actually kill you, you have a different view of what living is.  We also touched on things like 'Boris thinks the virus will call it a day on 24 March', mutual colleagues who have died during the pandemic amongst other aspects.  

My respect for him is immense, and I certainly wasn't going to challenge or talk him out of his concerns.  He really is a highly intelligent, educated and qualified man, and some of his pearls of wisdom stay with me, as have some of the pearls he imparted during our conversation.

I think the main pearls were kindness, relationships with any other human are a privilege to treasure and, for people who are still fearful, gentle reassurance is far better than derision or dismissing them. 

Just a thought.  People are not fearful because they are loonies, or self-indulgent, they are fearful because they are.

Shifted my paradigm.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Had a long conversation with a former colleague this week.  He is in the UK and is probably one of the most intelligent and insightful people I have ever worked with.  He is retired and 'of an age'.  His wife has a respiratory condition and so they want to avoid any risk.

We spoke about Covid and I said that my biggest concern was the fear and turning it off.  His response was that when you reach an age, if returning to 'living' could actually kill you, you have a different view of what living is.  We also touched on things like 'Boris thinks the virus will call it a day on 24 March', mutual colleagues who have died during the pandemic amongst other aspects.  

My respect for him is immense, and I certainly wasn't going to challenge or talk him out of his concerns.  He really is a highly intelligent, educated and qualified man, and some of his pearls of wisdom stay with me, as have some of the pearls he imparted during our conversation.

I think the main pearls were kindness, relationships with any other human are a privilege to treasure and, for people who are still fearful, gentle reassurance is far better than derision or dismissing them. 

Just a thought.  People are not fearful because they are loonies, or self-indulgent, they are fearful because they are.

Shifted my paradigm.

They've had that fear drilled into them!

• Like 1