IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Someone on radio this morning saying they are not doing home stay as they can’t insist on fully vaccinated only and Government are putting everyone at risk!

Isn't it a bit early for decisions like that. At the moment the un vaccinated wouldn't even be able to come here never mind homestays

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Someone on radio this morning saying they are not doing home stay as they can’t insist on fully vaccinated only and Government are putting everyone at risk!

I would assume that Government are planning for all restrictions to be lifted pre TT , Allison has already indicated that this will be needed before tourist season 

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Vaccinated is akin to pregnancy. Double jabbed is ok. Fully vaccinated is ok. 

It really, really isn't, as I pointed our a week ago.  It's clear that even those double-dosed "2+2" show a drop in both protection against catching symptomatic Covid and hospitalisation to the extent that there's little protection against infection after six months. Protection against hospitalisation holds up better, but it's only half of what the boosted have.

The booster shot makes a very big difference, putting protection levels back up higher than they ever were, but we have no idea how long that will last for.  There may already be a bit of falling off, but that could be due to the most vulnerable being boosted first.

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

It really, really isn't, as I pointed our a week ago.  It's clear that even those double-dosed "2+2" show a drop in both protection against catching symptomatic Covid and hospitalisation to the extent that there's little protection against infection after six months. Protection against hospitalisation holds up better, but it's only half of what the boosted have.

The booster shot makes a very big difference, putting protection levels back up higher than they ever were, but we have no idea how long that will last for.  There may already be a bit of falling off, but that could be due to the most vulnerable being boosted first.

I think we are at crossed purposes here. I wasn't saying double dosed wasn't better. Merely clarifying the terminology

Fully vaccinated is considered two doses (well up to now). The 3rd Booster is not included (although I don't know why). If the JVCI say we need a 3rd full dose then those with 2 doses will no longer be fully vaccinated and those with 3 will be considered fully vaccinated. Alternately they might say you are fully vaccinated if you have had a jab in the last 6 months. 

Does that make sense? No such thing as double vaccinated. Double jabbed yes.

You can only therefore be vaccinated or not vaccinated (fully) as is sort of comparable to being pregnant

Usual Twitter crew are complaining about lack of masks in shops etc, allowing unvaccinated into homestay & also one refusing to have an essential blood test due to blood clinic being too crowded etc & been made to take off her Fp2 masks.

Some are never going to live with Covid 

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

Usual Twitter crew are complaining about lack of masks in shops etc, allowing unvaccinated into homestay & also one refusing to have an essential blood test due to blood clinic being too crowded etc & been made to take off her Fp2 masks.

Some are never going to live with Covid 

I wore mine in the shop earlier because it was full of old dears wearing masks. Most people still had them on from what I saw, but the average age in the shop was pretty high. About half the staff still had them on too.

As I posted in another thread

Day 2 tests no longer needed after 4am on 11th February for fully-vaccinated travellers. Better late than never. Those not fully-vaccinated won’t have to self-isolate but will still need to take a test.

Landing forms will remain in place.

Above is related to international arrivals into England

Edited by snowman

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You are making the same mistake as many others in thinking you protection levels are just because of the antibodies. You should know better by now.

People need to accept that you cannot stop the transmission of a normal respiratory pathogen. You can and will catch all of them, and this is a good thing, because if you don't when you are old they will fuck you up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You are making the same mistake as many others in thinking you protection levels are just because of the antibodies. You should know better by now.

People need to accept that you cannot stop the transmission of a normal respiratory pathogen. You can and will catch all of them, and this is a good thing, because if you don't when you are old they will fuck you up.

And to add to this, the antibody levels being measured are IgG. To stop infection in the first place it’s IgA (secretory antibodies, in mucus, on your tonsils, lining your nose, in sweat, in breast milk etc ) you need to prevent the virus getting in in the first place. IgG is in the blood. As are T cells. These might stop you getting ill but won’t stop a virus landing in your throat, multiplying a bit, and then being coughed onto the next ‘victim’ before you even know about it. Respiratory pathogen is the key phrase. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

You can only therefore be vaccinated or not vaccinated (fully) as is sort of comparable to being pregnant

I see what you meant now, but I'm not sure it's a very good analogy.  The initial vaccination seems to gradually wear off comparatively quickly and we don't know how effective the booster(s) will remain, though it's certainly good at the start.  So the protection isn't really an on/off thing. 

I suppose you could say that pregnancy ends eventually as well, but that's more predictable and certainly less gradual.

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I see what you meant now, but I'm not sure it's a very good analogy.  The initial vaccination seems to gradually wear off comparatively quickly and we don't know how effective the booster(s) will remain, though it's certainly good at the start.  So the protection isn't really an on/off thing. 

I suppose you could say that pregnancy ends eventually as well, but that's more predictable and certainly less gradual.

I'll accept its a bit of a crap analogy :D

But it does my head in when people say double vaccinated. Double or triple jabbed is fine. I can live with that. In my book though you is either vaccinated or not vaccinated

46 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You can and will catch all of them, and this is a good thing, because if you don't when you are old they will fuck you up.

What happens if you’re already old (ish) now?

Pleasantry surprised no mask required in Ronaldsway airport this morning. Masks on easyJet and only sporadic mask wearing in Liverpool and Chester. 

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'll accept its a bit of a crap analogy :D

But it does my head in when people say double vaccinated. Double or triple jabbed is fine. I can live with that. In my book though you is either vaccinated or not vaccinated

I take your point, but the wording you should object to is ‘immunised’ or ‘double immunised’. I’d say that ‘vaccinated’ is the same as ‘jabbed’ - it doesn’t imply it’s been effective at immunising you. And of course immunity is not a binary variable either. 

• Thanks 1