IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Beyond 'get a grip' for 5, what would you suggest?   The fear is very real for some people, many of whom are rational and intelligent.  

Perhaps some kind of helpline for them to call? I do thinks it's a genuine issue and people do need some form of help. As you've said, we've all seen otherwise rational people reduced to foaming at the mouth jingoistic wrecks. 

21 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Scrapping the daily and weekly numbers is going to send some of them into a complete tailspin. Once doom-o meter goes they’ll have nothing tangible to fixate on and will then have to start trawling Google for bad news to re-post. 

You're right it will! We've already seen that to a degree when they scrapped the daily death figures and moved to the weekly format - some doomers started using words like 'the claimed figure' etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Perhaps some kind of helpline for them to call? I do thinks it's a genuine issue and people do need some form of help. As you've said, we've all seen otherwise rational people reduced to foaming at the mouth jingoistic wrecks. 

You're right it will! We've already seen that to a degree when they scrapped the daily death figures and moved to the weekly format - some doomers started using words like 'the claimed figure' etc. 

Your last para confirms the suggestion in the first. 

And meanwhile the EU is extending the use of Digital Covid Passports until June 2023.

And England, and IoM were very lucky when they abandoned most restrictions. It was a gamble. Lots of places in Europe have as good vaccination record and levels. But each country has had a different epidemic profile, number of waves, types of restrictions, number of cases and deaths.

More, it was a gamble by Johnson. And his judgement isn’t renowned for being good. 

We've been very lucky. Omicron being the latest wave and squeezing out other varieties has been part of that.

Thats not to say I support the current testing regime for travellers, or the daily statistics being continued for any longer than necessary. But it’s necessary whilst Covid is so prevalent, and in different strains, very close by.

Im triple vaxxed. In 4 weeks I’ll have had my booster 4th dose. Filling out forms and getting tests to travel aren’t exactly huge inconveniences. If that helps keep a lid I don’t strongly object, for a few more months.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And meanwhile the EU is extending the use of Digital Covid Passports until June 2023.

And England, and IoM were very lucky when they abandoned most restrictions. It was a gamble. Lots of places in Europe have as good vaccination record and levels. But each country has had a different epidemic profile, number of waves, types of restrictions, number of cases and deaths.

More, it was a gamble by Johnson. And his judgement isn’t renowned for being good. 

We've been very lucky. Omicron being the latest wave and squeezing out other varieties has been part of that.

Thats not to say I support the current testing regime for travellers, or the daily statistics being continued for any longer than necessary. But it’s necessary whilst Covid is so prevalent, and in different strains, very close by.

Im triple vaxxed. In 4 weeks I’ll have had my booster 4th dose. Filling out forms and getting tests to travel aren’t exactly huge inconveniences. If that helps keep a lid I don’t strongly object, for a few more months.

I didn't have you down as one of the Doomers.

We weren't lucky, South Africa had already proven that Omicron is mild. 

You can have all the restrictions you like but, much like France, they can make no difference. 

https://news.yahoo.com/shock-report-lockdowns-had-little-140000538.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, 0bserver said:

The minimum outcomes from the Cannan briefing will hopefully be:

1) All travel and border restrictions 

2) The end of quarantine/isolation for positive covid cases 

3) The ending of the supply of LFDa 

4) The scrapping of the daily covid numbers and the weekly surveillance report 

5) Announcing some form of help for those struggling to wean themselves off the daily numbers/doom and gloom merchants. 

6) scrapping all advice in relation to face masks. 

1) Agreed

2) Agreed

3) No. Still provide, but charge £5 per test. Only those that are really needed will be taken and reported.

4) No. Due to 3 above, numbers will plummet giving the doom covern a sense of relief.

5) Not necessary due to 4 above.

6) Just scrap all masks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

I didn't have you down as one of the Doomers.

We weren't lucky, South Africa had already proven that Omicron is mild. 

You can have all the restrictions you like but, much like France, they can make no difference. 

https://news.yahoo.com/shock-report-lockdowns-had-little-140000538.html

Im not a doomer. And omicron in SA and with their health system, hadn’t been around long enough to draw any conclusion other than “highly infectious”.

Im not suggesting the French, German, Austrian, Spanish, or even AUS & NZ methods of dealing are any better. I’m recognising that the epidemic has a different profile in different countries.

And expressing my view that it’s better to jam on the anchors and lock down fast and early and to exit in a measured manner.

• Like 1

Listened to the briefing. That's alright that I reckon, drop everything outside the ordinary work of the health service when it comes to illness by the end of March. He knows some people remain in 2020 so he's giving them some time to get their shit together.

Henrietta spoke of the endemic situation, says we'll have fluctuations but should stay at a relatively low level of transmission. I hope she's right, but I suspect another wave yet, probably not long into April, as that's when the antibody waning of the boosters should be started to make an effect (to be clear this does not mean, as some people claim, that the vaccine stops working).

Wonder how many people over 60 still haven't had a vaccine. They should probably do that. I think if I were manx care I'd put a little team of empathetic people together and go out and find them, talk - and listen - to them directly.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 7