IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

That guy is mental.

A retired pathologist, so someone who has presumably had a decent education.

Off his fucking tits. The other day he once again used the phrase 'vectors of disease' when talking about children. So not only mental but an actual prick too.

There’s a whole bunch of them including Dudley who say they have withdrawn from society due to the unacceptable risks of Covid in IOM & want more testing & restrictions 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s a whole bunch of them including Dudley who say they have withdrawn from society due to the unacceptable risks of Covid in IOM & want more testing & restrictions 

Think Dudley is losing his marbles. Sad really for such an intelligent man. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Banker said:

We (society, government...) have done too good a job of convincing people that they're vulnerable.  It used to be folk in their late 80s who would avoid going out, or keep away from people with a bit of a cold.  Now you have otherwise robust individuals in their 60s who for 2 years have been told they're vulnerable because they're diabetic, or take pills for blood pressure, or get a bit of exercise induced asthma if they run in cold weather.  And that belief is now ingrained.

I don't know how they can be pulled back round.  I suspect they can't.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

We (society, government...) have done too good a job of convincing people that they're vulnerable.  It used to be folk in their late 80s who would avoid going out, or keep away from people with a bit of a cold.  Now you have otherwise robust individuals in their 60s who for 2 years have been told they're vulnerable because they're diabetic, or take pills for blood pressure, or get a bit of exercise induced asthma if they run in cold weather.  And that belief is now ingrained.

the word you are looking for is Sheeple...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

the word you are looking for is Sheeple...

No it isn’t. That implies blindly following rules because others do or say so. What we have here is the opposite - these people are too scared to now follow others out of this pandemic because of the effectiveness of the previous messages and their now unshakable belief in their own vulnerability. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

No it isn’t. That implies blindly following rules because others do or say so. What we have here is the opposite - these people are too scared to now follow others out of this pandemic because of the effectiveness of the previous messages and their now unshakable belief in their own vulnerability. 

a problem caused by your profession I believe. How many times have people gone to see their GP only to be fobbed off with a handful of pills rather than get to the root of the problem. There are some excellent GP's out there but due to financial constraints and staff shortages, they don't have the time anymore. People were probably doing alright until medical experts told them otherwise

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

That guy is mental.

A retired pathologist, so someone who has presumably had a decent education.

Off his fucking tits. The other day he once again used the phrase 'vectors of disease' when talking about children. So not only mental but an actual prick too.

You realise that he used to be the consultant microbiologist up at Nobles before he retired, right? Eminently more educated to know what he's talking about than anyone on here. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, rachomics said:

You realise that he used to be the consultant microbiologist up at Nobles before he retired, right? Eminently more educated to know what he's talking about than anyone on here. 

I know!

That's what makes it more crazy.

There is no justification whatsoever for the way some of our local alarmists have been talking about children in this pandemic, they are people not vectors of disease ffs, and no justification whatsoever for the policies that have been rushed in at schools at various times which many of the zero crew have demanded be stricter.

One of the many lessons I have learned from the pandemic is that 'experts' are frequently wrong.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

The problem is that some are actually at very high risk - not all those who perceive themselves to vulnerable fit your description

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There is no justification whatsoever for the way some of our local alarmists have been talking about children in this pandemic, they are people not vectors of disease ffs,

They are vectors of disease because they are people.  If they weren't people they couldn't be vectors of a human disease because they couldn't catch it and pass it on to other people.  And those who are less likely to show serious symptoms are more likely to pass a disease on (because they're not stuck in bed feeling awful), especially if they happen to be in an environment with lots of daily contacts (eg schools).

Science seeks to explain the world, it doesn't have to do so only if the language it need makes people feel happy.  Otherwise we'd all still be pretending the Sun goes round the Earth so as the make the Pope feel important.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I know!

That's what makes it more crazy.

There is no justification whatsoever for the way some of our local alarmists have been talking about children in this pandemic, they are people not vectors of disease ffs, and no justification whatsoever for the policies that have been rushed in at schools at various times which many of the zero crew have demanded be stricter.

One of the many lessons I have learned from the pandemic is that 'experts' are frequently wrong.

Vector of Disease just means the animal, insect, person transmitting. It’s a correct scientific description. It’s not derogatory, and doesn’t reduce their humanity.

Many upper respiratory tract infections have children as a vector. Many European countries ( before covid ) closed schools during flu outbreaks to reduce spread.

That being said, and returning to the “fear” point. I don’t think it’s just the frightening messages. I think that’s part of it. But I also think a lot is down to the stop start nature of the IoM pandemic experience. All or nothing. Lock down or disease free.  Closed borders giving a false sense of security.

I don’t think the same applies to countries which have had restrictions for two years, sometimes strict, distance, social, closed venues, closed work places, masks, inside and out. They see it as a managed situation, those with fears ( justified or not ) have time to adjust and don’t feel thrown to the lions.

I’m vulnerable. I was told to shield. I’ve had three primary doses which have only given rise to a low level of antibodies. But I’ve risk assessed. I’ve travelled extensively, including lots of UK, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, before vaccines, and the same again after vaccination. I’m happy to assess risk, wear a mask etc, if I feel the risk is high, even if the regulations don’t mandate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, momo65 said:

The problem is that some are actually at very high risk - not all those who perceive themselves to vulnerable fit your description

Some of them, sure. But then they were vulnerable before with risks from plenty of other viruses. But covid has given more people a ‘clinically vulnerable’ label than ever before. I met someone the other day basically living in fear because her husband, 60, is diabetic. He’s vaccinated and otherwise well. It’s not good. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Vector of Disease just means the animal, insect, person transmitting. It’s a correct scientific description. It’s not derogatory, and doesn’t reduce their humanity.

Many upper respiratory tract infections have children as a vector. Many European countries ( before covid ) closed schools during flu outbreaks to reduce spread.

That being said, and returning to the “fear” point. I don’t think it’s just the frightening messages. I think that’s part of it. But I also think a lot is down to the stop start nature of the IoM pandemic experience. All or nothing. Lock down or disease free.  Closed borders giving a false sense of security.

I don’t think the same applies to countries which have had restrictions for two years, sometimes strict, distance, social, closed venues, closed work places, masks, inside and out. They see it as a managed situation, those with fears ( justified or not ) have time to adjust and don’t feel thrown to the lions.

I’m vulnerable. I was told to shield. I’ve had three primary doses which have only given rise to a low level of antibodies. But I’ve risk assessed. I’ve travelled extensively, including lots of UK, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, before vaccines, and the same again after vaccination. I’m happy to assess risk, wear a mask etc, if I feel the risk is high, even if the regulations don’t mandate.

And, on balance, you have decided life is for living?

• Like 3