IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, momo65 said:

With 8 in hospital it probably means Covid ward mat open again soon with knock on for other hospital services. That matters to everyone.

One could be excused for imagining this was our national hospital as opposed to the sprawling mass that is Nobles!

NEWS03-170609919-AR.jpeg

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Banker said:

Covid ward is reopening & unfortunately there’s going to be elective operations cancelled again with staff absences etc

https://gef.im/2022/03/11/covid-ward-to-reopen/?fbclid=IwAR2mIssEIO1zBGhw07AMAKJFFman0Gx4UQRwNFK0cmoWIBbqY3qHGDHrlqg

If the Covid figures increase daily and it’s nearly 2 months till TT, I am sure there will be some within IOMG panicking somewhat as to planning for TT. I bet they will insist on the landing forms after 31 March 2022. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

If the Covid figures increase daily and it’s nearly 2 months till TT, I am sure there will be some within IOMG panicking somewhat as to planning for TT. I bet they will insist on the landing forms after 31 March 2022. 

Not sure what benefit the landing forms bring to any countries, they certainly can’t have them TT, problem is that’s lots are messaging their MHKS about more restrictions etc

The daft thing is that the more we shield ourselves from Omicron, the longer his virus will be an issue. It’s now a virus for those that haven’t had it yet to worry about, whilst the rest of us that have experienced this mild cold can get on with life and forget about it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Someone at our work tested positive yesterday.  I have no idea why they did a test.

Anyway the boss then made the other 11 staff do tests and it turns out six more are positive and had no clue.

Now I am stuck at home for no good reason.  

What a load of shite

It is.

Makes you wonder how many of the 1070 announced yesterday are asymptomatic.

6 hours ago, joebean said:

The daft thing is that the more we shield ourselves from Omicron, the longer his virus will be an issue. It’s now a virus for those that haven’t had it yet to worry about, whilst the rest of us that have experienced this mild cold can get on with life and forget about it. 

This is nonsense.  Earlier on Teapot remarked how little people (and indeed governments) seem to have learned from the crisis and one of the earliest things that was constantly explained was about 'flattening the curve'.  Bluntly, you don't want hospitals overwhelmed at a time when they have a lot of staff off ill. 

Even when the percentage of those hospitalised is much lower than it was, if the number infected at any one time is higher, you will still get a lot of people in hospital and an awful lot of sick staff.

So claiming that everyone just needs to catch it and then naughty Mr Covid will magically vanish is just foolish and dangerous.  Especially given the rates of reinfection we are seeing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This is nonsense.  Earlier on Teapot remarked how little people (and indeed governments) seem to have learned from the crisis and one of the earliest things that was constantly explained was about 'flattening the curve'.  Bluntly, you don't want hospitals overwhelmed at a time when they have a lot of staff off ill. 

Even when the percentage of those hospitalised is much lower than it was, if the number infected at any one time is higher, you will still get a lot of people in hospital and an awful lot of sick staff.

So claiming that everyone just needs to catch it and then naughty Mr Covid will magically vanish is just foolish and dangerous.  Especially given the rates of reinfection we are seeing.

So what course of action do you recommend? Staying behind masks and social distancing forevermore? I didn’t plan on catching it but I did. I am in vaccine priority group 4 so assessed as being extremely clinically vulnerable and Omicron was still a slight cold. Fear is the real nonsense. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It is.

Makes you wonder how many of the 1070 announced yesterday are asymptomatic.

Well we don't know because the government in its wisdom decided to stop telling us (and maybe even asking). The ONS Infection Study suggests about 40% are asymptomatic in the UK, but that percentage hasn't really changed much over the last year.  The main change in symptoms with Omicron appears to be that loss of smell and/or taste is less common, but everything else is about the same.

It's true that the vast majority of cases reported are via LFT tests rather than PCR.  The latest figures suggest that of the 1159 active cases today, 94% we diagnosed that way.  So there may well be quite a few false positives in that  - when they re-tested with PCR, about 7% of LFT-positives were unconfirmed.  But if six people in an office test positive it suggests an outbreak (or a duff batch of tests).

57 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Someone at our work tested positive yesterday.  I have no idea why they did a test.

Anyway the boss then made the other 11 staff do tests and it turns out six more are positive and had no clue.

Now I am stuck at home for no good reason.  

What a load of shite

How can the boss make you do a test? I'd have said no 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, joebean said:

So what course of action do you recommend? Staying behind masks and social distancing forevermore? I didn’t plan on catching it but I did. I am in vaccine priority group 4 so assessed as being extremely clinically vulnerable and Omicron was still a slight cold. Fear is the real nonsense. 

My parents both had Covid last week. It actually flattened my dad. Not pleasant at all. Just because you experienced a slight cold.......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, joebean said:

I suggest what I'd hope any sensible person would as a strategy: keep on monitoring the situation and react accordingly.  If rates go up, increase restrictions that will act to slow spread; when rates drop, relax them.  Keep an eye out for new variants that may change the characteristics of a disease.  Most won't but for example this latest surge may be linked to Omicron sub-variant BA.1 and the Infection Survey shows that Northern Ireland has both the highest percentage of those and the highest rate of cases.

Most importantly what is making Omicron 'a slight cold' for most people is vaccination and we need to encourage those who have not been vaccinated to do so and for those who were vaccinated a while ago to get boosted.  And we ought to be considering further boosters, not just for those immunocompromised who need to extra shots to bring them up to nearer the levels of the rest of us, but also for other groups such as the elderly who will have received their vaccinations some time ago.

Fear isn't a sensible reaction, but caution is.  Like spouses, living with a virus doesn't mean ignoring it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3