IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The first of the usual suspects restricting services. I await the text or email from Isle of Man Bank .

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/23-teachers-absent-from-ballakermeen-high-school/

Its still a legal requirement to Isolate if you test positive. Had you not heard that rates had risen.

That legal requirement expires at the end of the month.

Should we encourage teachers to break the law?

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its still a legal requirement to Isolate if you test positive. Had you not heard that rates had risen.

That legal requirement expires at the end of the month.

Should we encourage teachers to break the law?

Has IOMG actually announced that legal requirements to isolate are being scrapped?

See Dudley Butt has tested positive & he’s not happy at lack of mitigations in place 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Checked my NHS app yesterday

Wonder of wonders. My booster has appeared at last. Hoping it doesn't disappear before I actually need it.

I’ve now got the opposite of my original problem. 1st, 2nd and 3rd doses all appeared in the Immunisation section of the GP record on NHS App or Patient Access within 24/48 hours, but my third dose didn’t generate a QR/2D barcode.

My 4th dose/booster generated the QR/2D  within 36 hours, but 2 weeks on nothing has appeared in the GP record.

38 minutes ago, Banker said:

Has IOMG actually announced that legal requirements to isolate are being scrapped?

See Dudley Butt has tested positive & he’s not happy at lack of mitigations in place 

So 1500+ cases, 4 people in hospital, down from 8 a few days ago and no one in ICU. This is good! Not for the afflicted, obviously but the likes of old Dudders should take heart, it all appears to be going in the right direction.

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You cannot stop nature.

Indeed. This virus appears to be evolving in the right direction. The level of illness in the community may be on the rise but the only relevancy to the numbers now, imo, are how many are ending up in hospital. Generally, people are more enlightened and taking responsibility for themselves. I can understand Dudley's position, and everyone else who's been scared shitless but they perhaps need to open their eyes a bit wider. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Indeed. This virus appears to be evolving in the right direction. The level of illness in the community may be on the rise but the only relevancy to the numbers now, imo, are how many are ending up in hospital. Generally, people are more enlightened and taking responsibility for themselves. I can understand Dudley's position, and everyone else who's been scared shitless but they perhaps need to open their eyes a bit wider. 

I don't think the virus is evolving in any particular direction, I'm not a fan of the supposed 'viruses evolve milder' theory. What actually happens is that humans adapt to it. I the case of zoonotic viruses like this, first it adapts to us, then it adapts a bit more, while we adapt back through the brilliance of the immune system if we don't die. I have yet to see anyone prove that omicron is milder for example, even though lots of people have suggested it is. Rather, it's been busy in places with massive vaccine uptake and substantial previous transmission. 

This is why Hong Kong is so interesting to watch, in a slightly morbid way. This is their first major wave, and its the 'mild' omicron. 

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

So 1500+ cases, 4 people in hospital, down from 8 a few days ago and no one in ICU. This is good! Not for the afflicted, obviously but the likes of old Dudders should take heart, it all appears to be going in the right direction.

Hong Kong shows the virus isn't evolving in any way beneficial to man. The apparent "mildness" of omicron is due mainly to immunity mostly from vaccines.

1 hour ago, momo65 said:

Hong Kong shows the virus isn't evolving in any way beneficial to man. The apparent "mildness" of omicron is due mainly to immunity mostly from vaccines.

as man isn't evolving in any way beneficial to any living thing part of me hopes the virus wins for the sake of everything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

This is why Hong Kong is so interesting to watch, in a slightly morbid way. This is their first major wave, and its the 'mild' omicron.

Hong Kong's pressures are because they lock up everyone with Covid, even if they just have a sniffle, so the whole place is falling apart. And I mean properly lock up, in a government quarantine facility. Madness.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Hong Kong's pressures are because they lock up everyone with Covid, even if they just have a sniffle, so the whole place is falling apart. And I mean properly lock up, in a government quarantine facility. Madness.

It also has a very densely housed population.  Apparently it is ripping through the high rise residential blocks, even with restrictions.

I suppose the lesson to be learnt is that nature always gets the upper hand, we can fight it, but the best to hope for is equilibrium rather than victory.  It also seems that the more we distance ourselves from a more natural way of living, the harder it is to avoid these things - international travel, concentrated populations, high populations, low mortality rates etc. They have all served to make us more vulnerable.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1