IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Only entered BG once via D. Recent trips all directly from London. Not even EasyJet staff at bag drop in Gatwick still check your paperwork for Bulgaria it seems and nothing uploaded anywhere beforehand. Using NHS print out in malls and restaurants here, never had an issue. They glance at it and wave you through. Maybe I look very trustworthy :) 

If only they knew about your plans to reduce bin collections to fortnightly:whistling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Two things may have led to John getting greater attention.  Firstly being British, post-Brexit people in the EU are still not sure of rules and so may be more inclined to apply checks on those grounds.  Secondly, being obviously vulnerable, it may be more reassurance, a way of saying "Look we're still applying the rules".  Even though they are obviously not.

13 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Doesn't sound very 'Random'? Discrimination?

That was the point I was making. And none of the Spanish health staff appeared to speak Bulgarian, and almost none of the Bulgarians spoke Spanish.

Bulgaria has the lowest vaccination rate in the EU. Currently at 25%.

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Two things may have led to John getting greater attention.  Firstly being British, post-Brexit people in the EU are still not sure of rules and so may be more inclined to apply checks on those grounds.  Secondly, being obviously vulnerable, it may be more reassurance, a way of saying "Look we're still applying the rules".  Even though they are obviously not.

To some extent at borders, I’d be tempted to agree.

Flying through Reus to Stansted I was directed away from normal check in to PRM/assisted Check-In. Their only client. Think they were bored out of their skulls and doing stuff by the book. Mind you there were only 30 passengers on the 737-800

Brittany Ferries check in have always been officious. 20 years of travelling with pets has taught me that.

Barcelona to Sofia I just joined the snaking Check-In queue and watched everyone ahead producing stuff on their PDA/phones or paper certificates.

Arrival at Sofia, I’m last off plane but then get priority accompanied passage through immigration, health checks, etc, so I get to the front of each queue. But can see what’s going on.

Spain temperature checked everyone on arrival in September/October ( BF on car deck ). Sofia did LFT swabs on about half the passengers. Barcelona in October swabbed me, and what seemed like every Bulgarian. I had got my chair delivered to the airbridge and dismissed the assistance person. So I waited my turn and observed.

They’re strange in Sofia T2. Check me in, then try and direct me to the crip holding area, which is landside, before security, immigration etc. I then sneak off to the gate on my own. I’m evidently considered unable to get to the gate on my own. But I want the ability to get a drink, buy duty free, lose my way, etc. it’s a little game. But they take me into a booth for pat down searching, always, I suppose for privacy/modesty. Two security officers. It was intimidating the first time. Only in T2 however. T1 are almost carefree.

But shops, bars, restaurants, theatres, museums, I’m normally with locals…

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

There are none so blind...

It's you that's blinkered about Masks. They are effective, to some extent, with other measures. I don't understand the objection.

I don't enjoy wearing them, but I will, to protect myself and others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Have Scotland benefitted from their additional mask measures over the rest of Britain?

I see on the news this morning they are keeping them until April.

The whole UK response to mitigation measures has been muddled, inconsistent, sending out mixed messages, mainly politically motivated.

And non compliance has been wholesale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It's you that's blinkered about Masks. They are effective, to some extent, with other measures. I don't understand the objection.

I don't enjoy wearing them, but I will, to protect myself and others.

I think you’re missing Teapot’s point John. It’s the order to wear masks that is ineffective, not masks themselves. If everyone wore FFP3 masks properly all the time it’d be effective, but they don’t - they wear old t-shirts cut up that don’t seal over the nose, they fiddle with them, and take them half off to vape. That’s the reality, and why mask mandates are pointless. 

• Like 6

Thank you.

Mask mandates are stupid. People are people. 

BUT, I'm not a fan of mask wearing full stop, that is true. I have extensive experience of wearing masks through work, a host of different ones in a bunch of different circumstances, to stop breathing in dust. The amount of cement bogies I've picked, with the tears as they take your nostril hair with them, my word. They don't completely stop 'large'(visable)  particles, quite how anyone expects them to stop particles you can't even see is beyond me.

There has been widespread mask usage all across the world, but concentrating on Europe no one can possibly argue in good faith that they have worked as a whole. They might have stopped you catching it on a Monday, but not on a Wednesday. It's that stupid. When the calls were loud last year for 'vaccine plus: LOOK AT EUROPE' as they so frequently cried it was obvious (as John said about that graph I threw up earlier - different phases) that that was a situation that wouldn't last, and it didn't.

Mask wearing, mandates and 'expectations' give a false sense of security, sooner or later you will meet the virus, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. All you can do is ensure your body is as prepared as possible for when you do, by getting vaccinated (or being young!)

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think you’re missing Teapot’s point John. It’s the order to wear masks that is ineffective, not masks themselves. If everyone wore FFP3 masks properly all the time it’d be effective, but they don’t - they wear old t-shirts cut up that don’t seal over the nose, they fiddle with them, and take them half off to vape. That’s the reality, and why mask mandates are pointless. 

But that was, in part, caused by the mixed political message and lack of proper direction about type of mask, and how to wear, and how often to change.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But that was, in part, caused by the mixed political message and lack of proper direction about type of mask, and how to wear, and how often to change.

Yes, and not just mixed political messages but an ever changing message from the so called medics and heath professionals. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I totally disagree and am shocked at your attitude, you being educated.

If everyone wore FFP 3 masks it would be great but they don't, we know that,  but anything, even an old dishcloth over your face to stop a little bit of spreading germs is better than nothing, an open face coughing and sneezing into the air will spread more germs, of any type for others to possibly breath in .

You are a medical professional, how can you not see that?

Its not a yes or no situation.

Its a bit of protection to yourself, a bit of protection to people you interact with or its a "Fuck it" I don't give a shit if I spread it all over or if I get it from anyone.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

I totally disagree and am shocked at your attitude, you being educated.

If everyone wore FFP 3 masks it would be great but they don't, we know that,  but anything, even an old dishcloth over your face to stop a little bit of spreading germs is better than nothing, an open face coughing and sneezing into the air will spread more germs, of any type for others to possibly breath in .

You are a medical professional, how can you not see that?

Its not a yes or no situation.

Its a bit of protection to yourself, a bit of protection to people you interact with or its a "Fuck it" I don't give a shit if I spread it all over or if I get it from anyone.

Try re-reading my post. 

But, no, I don’t think that “an old dishcloth” is better than nothing. I think it gives a false sense of security, and people behave worse than they ordinarily would in terms of social distancing etc. 

I am educated, and I am a medical professional as you say. I don’t think there’s anything I’m not seeing, nor can I see why my attitude shocks you. Please enlighten me.