IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I think it would help if we avoided obsessing about the tourist trade. Yes it is important but there is being damage done to our invisible trade and that is not only here. Economic growth has always been driven by the movement of people and ideas. Think of it as life blood if you like , strangle the flow and you strangle life.

4 minutes ago, Anyone said:

I think it would help if we avoided obsessing about the tourist trade. Yes it is important but there is being damage done to our invisible trade and that is not only here. Economic growth has always been driven by the movement of people and ideas. Think of it as life blood if you like , strangle the flow and you strangle life.

Its a very valid point. Our current situation is attracting new people to move to the Island. Older people.

But I know of several Gen Y, very smart people that see the border situation as prohibitive to their being and too restrictive for them to mentally flourish and are looking at permanently moving away.

You are right. Many are looking to move away and those incoming are primarily retirees. It’s very strange although so far mostly anecdotal. We’ll find out in the fullness of time and I doubt our glorified A&E will cope well with the aging profile. I certainly would not want to hang around here as a 20 / 30 something.

12 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Its a very valid point. Our current situation is attracting new people to move to the Island. Older people.

But I know of several Gen Y, very smart people that see the border situation as prohibitive to their being and too restrictive for them to mentally flourish and are looking at permanently moving away.

Yes risk takers want to take risks not be wrapped in cotton wool. There’s good money to be made while others are crapping their pants. Freer borders and testing would square both sides. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

You are right. Many are looking to move away and those incoming are primarily retirees. It’s very strange although so far mostly anecdotal. We’ll find out in the fullness of time and I doubt our glorified A&E will cope well with the aging profile. I certainly would not want to hang around here as a 20 / 30 something.

Stupid boy

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Not sure about the validity of this but a medical type told me earlier that the stats in the UK show that more people are now dying because of Covid than from it!

I’m sure that will come out after the public enquiry. Until then we won’t know. But there is no,doubt an element of truth.

8 minutes ago, Anyone said:

You’d have to get an appointment first. Good luck with that!

I know how appalling it is. It needs a free and open government audit. It’s disgusting what’s happening when the focus is on something that kills less than 1% of those badly affected. And even then there are (according to official government statistics) no covid cases in the IOM so what are we actually freeing resources up for? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes risk takers want to take risks not be wrapped in cotton wool. There’s good money to be made while others are crapping their pants. Freer borders and testing would square both sides. 

Not sure what you are harping on about. Take all the risks you want but just don’t expect the rest of the island to sacrifice the safety we have just to satisfy your crazy ideas. Take a look at how many UK towns and cities are entering a second lockdown.