IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

42 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s quite a long thread on Twitter which ends with RG saying she will block the guy challenging her statement as well as telling company not to use him for travel bookings!

It's amazing how she has transformed from somebody who made some great and reassuring points in the early part of the pandemic into the Ubergruppenkaren that she is today.

I have moved into believing that shredded letter was real nowadays 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

It's amazing how she has transformed from somebody who made some great and reassuring points in the early part of the pandemic into the Ubergruppenkaren that she is today.

I have moved into believing that shredded letter was real nowadays 

Ubergruppenkaren, love it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course any event that has a months worth of arrivals coming here in the space of 10 days will probably end up with a surge. 

However.

1. most will have come from UK & IRL. The rest from Western Europe. The number coming from further afield with exposure to new stains will be small.

2. it’ll take longer than 2 weeks for any surge or bulge to show in hospital admissions. Admissions lag behind symptoms.

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I genuinely don't think she is thinking this through

The TT is a big event for the Island but in global terms of public sporting/hospitality gatherings its a pin prick of an event.

Consider such things like (for example)

1. A Grand Prix
  2. A Manchester United European game
  3. A night out in Benidorm

All these have bigger numbers in closer proximity

Why would the TT be treated any different to whats going on in the rest of the world. Of course she could turn out to be right but in all likelihood she'll turn out to be totally wrong, as she has with all her other forecasts of gloom and disaster.

Except that, attendees at a GP or a soccer match might be there 4 or 4 hours, and whilst the crowd may be bigger, they’ll only be in contact with a fairly low number of people in their immediate vicinity. Benidorm one night out, it’s all small number venues, maybe a pub crawl.

IoM, it’s 10 days, multiple locations, moving around during day and evening, racing and not racing. It’s probably a greater infection risk.

41 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Except that, attendees at a GP or a soccer match might be there 4 or 4 hours, and whilst the crowd may be bigger, they’ll only be in contact with a fairly low number of people in their immediate vicinity. Benidorm one night out, it’s all small number venues, maybe a pub crawl.

IoM, it’s 10 days, multiple locations, moving around during day and evening, racing and not racing. It’s probably a greater infection risk.

Yes. Its a point. I'm not sure I agree though.

But what about 2 weeks away in Los Christianos or Playa de las america. Clubbing every night. Probably 40,000 people plus. Will the Canary Islands be suffering the same fate as the good DrG is forecasting

Do people really go to Benidorm for one night?

The Isle of Man becomes like a holiday resort for 2 weeks, A not even busy one at that.

Sorry - I just am not seeing any difference in risk at all

PS Grand Prix are 4 days and many people leave the day after making it 5. Events all weekend. No difference really

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. Its a point. I'm not sure I agree though.

But what about 2 weeks away in Los Christianos or Playa de las america. Clubbing every night. Probably 40,000 people plus. Will the Canary Islands be suffering the same fate as the good DrG is forecasting

Do people really go to Benidorm for one night?

The Isle of Man becomes like a holiday resort for 2 weeks, A not even busy one at that.

Sorry - I just am not seeing any difference in risk at all

PS Grand Prix are 4 days and many people leave the day after making it 5. Events all weekend. No difference really

I think what you’re missing out of the equation on your analysis is the size of the locality, it’s population, the percentage of that population the incomers will mix with and then the size of the hospital. 

For a Grand Prix or Derby match it’s a fairly short term influx, not mixing much with the locals, and dispersing. Yes there is mixing between visitors, but they take it away with them.

Then there’s the size of the area, and it’s population, the GP or Derby match, is located.

Population of the Canaries 2.2 million. Population of IoM 85-90,000. Number of hospitals Canaries, 12 ( including 2 biggies ) IoM it’s 1 ( plus a small branch in Ramsey. )

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think what you’re missing out of the equation on your analysis is the size of the locality, it’s population, the percentage of that population the incomers will mix with and then the size of the hospital. 

For a Grand Prix or Derby match it’s a fairly short term influx, not mixing much with the locals, and dispersing. Yes there is mixing between visitors, but they take it away with them.

Then there’s the size of the area, and it’s population, the GP or Derby match, is located.

Population of the Canaries 2.2 million. Population of IoM 85-90,000. Number of hospitals Canaries, 12 ( including 2 biggies ) IoM it’s 1 ( plus a small branch in Ramsey. )

Do we have a similar proportion of hospital beds/head of pop to the Canary Islands. The number of hospitals is not really relevant, its the number of beds.

I see you point re the grand Prix and a football match. Yes its not the locals that are being infected in those cases to a great extent

Maybe I am being thick, but, unless I am missing some relevant point, I can't see the difference to any other tourist destination. What about the world cup in Qatar for example.  Athletics world championships coming up. If the Canarians were worried they wouldn't allow tourists as there population swells for months on end not just for a week (not counting practice).

I am not denying it is a risk. I understand your points. I just don't think it is a significant risk, the infection rate on the IOM is alarmingly high at the moment. Every other bugger I know seems to have it. I can't see how it can be made worse by people coming from other locations that have similar or lower rates.

Not all IOM residents are in 1886 every night during TT

Are we playing the prediction game? I'm in.

TT won't make a blind bit of difference, the rates will have dropped loads by then and will stay low till after the summer. Prepare for another wave after the schools go back September would be my shout.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Do we have a similar proportion of hospital beds/head of pop to the Canary Islands. The number of hospitals is not really relevant, its the number of beds.

I see you point re the grand Prix and a football match. Yes its not the locals that are being infected in those cases to a great extent

Maybe I am being thick, but, unless I am missing some relevant point, I can't see the difference to any other tourist destination. What about the world cup in Qatar for example.  Athletics world championships coming up. If the Canarians were worried they wouldn't allow tourists as there population swells for months on end not just for a week (not counting practice).

I am not denying it is a risk. I understand your points. I just don't think it is a significant risk, the infection rate on the IOM is alarmingly high at the moment. Every other bugger I know seems to have it. I can't see how it can be made worse by people coming from other locations that have similar or lower rates.

Not all IOM residents are in 1886 every night during TT

It’s not just the number of beds, it’s the number of locals coming into contact with incomers.

As you say neither the visitors, nor locals, will be in 1886 every night. But they’ll tour pubs, 1886, bushy’s in the VM, Sulby Glen, etc. 

Im not saying you’re correct, or Rachel is correct. I think you both miss some of the risks/ameliorating factors from your opposite ends of the spectrum.

From what we’ve seen, since most restrictions were removed, it seems to come in waves. We just need a high local wave, added to by imported transmission to end up with a tsunami. Planning for that isn’t scaremongering, it’s prudence.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Fixed.

Whatever I think of Rachel's scientific credentials, she certainly displays the personality characteristics of narcissism.

Reading Hoopers Twitter feed she has also set herself up as an expert on gas prices & lecturing him on what should be done!!