IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

55 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Exactly. Had all my jabs. Tested positive last week (LFT tests arrived the day after requesting them online)

Felt really shit and exhausted for a good few days.  ( don’t let anyone tell you it’s just like having flu)

Coming out of the woods now, but glad I had the jabs and minimized the chances of things turning out worse

Other viruses are available though, myself and mrs ev had a  nasty cough, fever in May, lasted over 2 weeks, tested negative for covid, she also lost her voice so not all bad.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Doesn’t sound anywhere near as bad as flu so I am not sure what your point is meant to be?

I had flu in 2015 and barely got out of bed for a fortnight and still had post viral fatigue six months later.

Just quoting my personal experience.

If that’s your experience of having flu, I hope for your sake you don’t get Covid.

• Like 1

Fairly typically the decision by Manx Care comes exactly at the wrong time.  But apparently "it's made the move following the latest guidance from the United Kingdom Health Security Agency" so it must be OK if our colonial masters think it's good enough for them.  We appear to have learnt absolutely nothing over the last two and a half years.

The reason that we should be cautious isn't just because of TT which was always going to be a superspreader event, but because there are new variants in town: BA.4 and BA.5 and BA.2.12.1.  All are sub-variants of Omicron, but are different enough to re-infect those who have already had it - though prior Omicron infection doesn't seem great at providing extra protection anyway .  And unlike earlier versions they may go to the lungs rather than further up the respiratory system.  So it's possible that they may put more people in hospital or keep them there longer.

Now it's still early days and it may be that the new variants don't spread that fast due to good vaccination and prior infection.  Over-70s and the vulnerable will have had extra protection from the spring booster.  And the new variants may simply peter out as some previous variants have done.  There's a slight uptick in the numbers in hospital in England, though it's still well below the number we saw in January and April.  But we should still be cautious and should consider moving the Autumn vaccination programme forward and extending it to more of the population.  And we should be doing more to persuade those who are un- or under-vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Fairly typically the decision by Manx Care comes exactly at the wrong time.  But apparently "it's made the move following the latest guidance from the United Kingdom Health Security Agency" so it must be OK if our colonial masters think it's good enough for them.  We appear to have learnt absolutely nothing over the last two and a half years.

The reason that we should be cautious isn't just because of TT which was always going to be a superspreader event, but because there are new variants in town: BA.4 and BA.5 and BA.2.12.1.  All are sub-variants of Omicron, but are different enough to re-infect those who have already had it - though prior Omicron infection doesn't seem great at providing extra protection anyway .  And unlike earlier versions they may go to the lungs rather than further up the respiratory system.  So it's possible that they may put more people in hospital or keep them there longer.

Now it's still early days and it may be that the new variants don't spread that fast due to good vaccination and prior infection.  Over-70s and the vulnerable will have had extra protection from the spring booster.  And the new variants may simply peter out as some previous variants have done.  There's a slight uptick in the numbers in hospital in England, though it's still well below the number we saw in January and April.  But we should still be cautious and should consider moving the Autumn vaccination programme forward and extending it to more of the population.  And we should be doing more to persuade those who are un- or under-vaccinated.

Please stop.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I think it’s pretty widely accepted that a proper dose of flu is worse for most people than a dose of COVID isn’t it?  Especially the later milder variants.

Were you diagnosed with flu or did you just assume?  

Well I think over the course of say five decades, you can self diagnose flu.

Fortunately over that time I have rarely had the symptoms of flu but the symptoms are widely recognized. So yes I guess I “just assumed” I had the flu. Like you know you have a twisted ankle, fungal toe infection or a headache. You don’t need to be officially diagnosed by a medical practitioner to know you have them.

Re Covid, the symptoms were much much worse than the flu. I would disagree and say it’s not widely accepted that those who have a dose of Covid is worse for them than a proper dose ( whatever that is)of the flu.

Not sure where your (widely accepted) source for this comes from

Mrs Cheese is six days Covid+ , and to all intense and purposes has a cold. We have several friends and acquaintances who are currently positive also. None of them are ‘flat on their back’ The latest versions of covid don’t seem to be going to the lungs as badly, that’s helping a lot I imagine. 

strangely, I’ve not got it (yet). I mean, our tonsil hockey days are over, but we still share a bed. Would have expected to have been ill  with it by now. Not complaining though. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Mrs Cheese is six days Covid+ , and to all intense and purposes has a cold. We have several friends and acquaintances who are currently positive also. None of them are ‘flat on their back’ The latest versions of covid don’t seem to be going to the lungs as badly, that’s helping a lot I imagine. 

strangely, I’ve not got it (yet). I mean, our tonsil hockey days are over, but we still share a bed. Would have expected to have been ill  with it by now. Not complaining though. 

Glad Mrs Cheese has not suffered the worst effects of Covid.

I too know people who have got it and all suffer to varying degrees.

But as one who normally does not catch the common cold or flu ( or if I do suffer minimal effects) Covid has really caused me a great deal of discomfort. Perhaps suffering is a better word. 

I used to be of the opinion that it can’t be that  bad. But my own experience is that  in can be. A rude awakening 

• Like 1

I don’t know anyone I know who has had Covid. But I don’t go about hugging people and I avoid children and old people. Seems to have worked so far. But I guess I’ll get the bullet sometime. After all there is always one bullet with your name on it. But really people this is an issue but not a big deal anymore. Let it lie world.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Anyone said:

I don’t know anyone I know who has had Covid. But I don’t go about hugging people and I avoid children and old people. Seems to have worked so far. But I guess I’ll get the bullet sometime. After all there is always one bullet with your name on it. But really people this is an issue but not a big deal anymore. Let it lie world.

Of course it is lots of people who get Covid will have health issues later in life and will die younger than they should have, that is not even taking into account those that have Long Covid, wake up it and do research

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Of course it is lots of people who get Covid will have health issues later in life and will die younger than they should have, that is not even taking into account those that have Long Covid, wake up it and do research

What a load of absolute shite.

• Like 5