IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

17 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

The IOMG are doing a reasonable job in a difficult position, especially given they are having to coexist with the chaotic UK. It would perhaps be helpful however if they aligned the definition of ‘cases’ to the medically accepted definition i.e. those showing clinical symptoms, and also if they were to adjust their strategy to correlate directly to hospital capacity. As it stands, 20 non symptomatic cases over a defined period puts us into lockdown. If they have good reason to apply their current definitions and stratgegy, maybe they should clearly explain their reasoning, accomompanied by the data and advice used to make such decisions. I do not consider it unreasonable to have complete transparency when faced with such a potential loss of liberty.

This is the line that’s constantly getting twisted on this forum. Nobody is saying that our government hasn’t done a good job at the start of all this. They’ve done really well. But the 14 day system here is too loose and relies purely on voluntary compliance, there is a lack of transparency around almost everything, and there is no communicable exit plan. Just like there is no exit plan in the UK. And here they’re far too busy pandering to hysterical nutters who would be happy for the IOM to be shut down for years such is their irrational fear and paranoia of covid that they won’t take sensible risks through fear of public backlash. Testing allows people to deal with knowns not unknowns and has to be the logical step to allow freer mobility. I also note that despite several claims to the contrary several posters have answered the question and given very clear reasons why we should probably move to Jersey style 7 day testing. That does not seem to suit the warped and paranoid agenda of this forum though. This seems to just be the place for a load of fire spreaders to disseminate their attempts to further fuel mass hysteria. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Sad 1

What 14 days ? Keep up ! It is now 7 days have a test and if it is negative you can go back to work, boss permitting, which would cover most farmers, gardeners, window cleaners or people working in their own space.  Read the conditions before you pontificate about the a14 days, there are lots of things you can do, obviously not go into restaurants, pubs etc.  but you can go food shopping, medicine shopping and as long as you are careful you can go for a walk.   It is a step in the right direction.

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

What 14 days ? Keep up ! It is now 7 days have a test and if it is negative you can go back to work, boss permitting, which would cover most farmers, gardeners, window cleaners or people working in their own space.  Read the conditions before you pontificate about the a14 days, there are lots of things you can do, obviously not go into restaurants, pubs etc.  but you can go food shopping, medicine shopping and as long as you are careful you can go for a walk.   It is a step in the right direction.

You missed out the and pay £50. The changed system is a joke. They might have well not bothered and they know they might as well have not bothered either as they clearly want as few people as possible actually testing themselves so that further asymptomatic cases don’t jeopardize our claims to be a covid free bubble. 

7 days and a test is a small step forward. I don't think it is sustainable long term by virtue of it still requiring an isolation period or its cost to the traveller (basically a tax). I suspect we are totally beholden on the UK to get its shit together or the miracle jab to appear before there is any further change. I can't see that happening until well into next year

• Like 1

I would willingly pay £50 to enable me to go for a couple of walks a day, cut my grass, pop to the corner shop etc.  and my friends have agreed if the circumstances ever came up it would be a good deal.    A friend has just taken her child away to hospital and patients do not have to pay they are exempt.   A gardener I know has to go away for a funeral tomorrow and he will willingly pay so he can go back to work after 7 days.   

4 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

7 days and a test is a small step forward. I don't think it is sustainable long term by virtue of it still requiring an isolation period or its cost to the traveller (basically a tax). I suspect we are totally beholden on the UK to get its shit together or the miracle jab to appear before there is any further change. I can't see that happening until well into next year

And yet we have the whole country of Ireland on our doorstep which has got it’s shit together and yet, as with Brexit, we can’t be bothered looking for any synergies. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

And yet we have the whole country of Ireland on our doorstep which has got it’s shit together

Are you sure about that?

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

And yet we have the whole country of Ireland on our doorstep which has got it’s shit together and yet, as with Brexit, we can’t be bothered looking for any synergies. 

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ireland lifted an extended local lockdown on Monday in the eastern county of Kildare ahead of schedule, but the whole country remains under some of Europe’s strictest COVID-19 restrictions

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

This is the line that’s constantly getting twisted on this forum. Nobody is saying that our government hasn’t done a good job at the start of all this. They’ve done really well. But the 14 day system here is too loose and relies purely on voluntary compliance, there is a lack of transparency around almost everything, and there is no communicable exit plan. Just like there is no exit plan in the UK. And here they’re far too busy pandering to hysterical nutters who would be happy for the IOM to be shut down for years such is their irrational fear and paranoia of covid that they won’t take sensible risks through fear of public backlash. Testing allows people to deal with knowns not unknowns and has to be the logical step to allow freer mobility. I also note that despite several claims to the contrary several posters have answered the question and given very clear reasons why we should probably move to Jersey style 7 day testing. That does not seem to suit the warped and paranoid agenda of this forum though. This seems to just be the place for a load of fire spreaders to disseminate their attempts to further fuel mass hysteria. 

I don't think you're being dramatic enough to get your point across. A few more hysterics needed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ireland lifted an extended local lockdown on Monday in the eastern county of Kildare ahead of schedule, but the whole country remains under some of Europe’s strictest COVID-19 restrictions

I know that you are just a hopeless troll just hopelessly trolling but that was my point. The Irish are taking a harder line on things which is more in line with the approach we’ve taken rather than totally losing it like the UK has so if it makes sense reaching out anywhere it’s that way and not the UK. 

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I know that you are just a hopeless troll just hopelessly trolling but that was my point. The Irish are taking a harder line on things which is more in line with the approach we’ve taken rather than totally losing it like the UK has so if it makes sense reaching out anywhere it’s that way and not the UK. 

Hang on. On the one hand you think our restrictions are too tough and fucking everything up, while at the same time complimenting Ireland for their really strict ones? Isn't that a bit weird?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hang on. On the one hand you think our restrictions are too tough and fucking everything up, while at the same time complimenting Ireland for their really strict ones? Isn't that a bit weird?

I used the word synergies. I assume you know what that means. I wasn’t saying they were better I was comparing similar approaches (ie, we both seem to have similarly tough systems so surely there might be synergies to explore in terms of travel etc). That’s why I used the word synergies.