IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I think the Government messaging is low key, responsible, and reflects what JVT was espousing.

Basically it’s keep up with vaccinations, keep up with improved hygiene, behave responsibly.

Government has just announced extension of free LFT/RAT kits and introduced mobile vaccination in one of the underused minibuses..

Now we need a programme of second boosters for all over 17’s before winter.

Its now a week since I had dose 5/booster 2. Like all previous I had no reaction/side effects. 

My dose 6/booster 3 and flu jab look like early October.

C7E80890-A41B-4DE7-A5C5-84E111C093D0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Beat me to it. Easier to catch, too. I don't think I know anyone who averages a bout of flu more than once every 2 or 3 years. I know lots of people who have had covid twice in this year...

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I would expect/hope, that as herd immunity continues to build (via infection and immunisation), that frequency drops off.  Most people I know get a cold/flu (definitions vary, and level of symptoms represent a spectrum) once or twice a year, and are not necessarily very ill with it.  See how it goes over the next couple of years.

Is some of this not just a function of this particular virus being new to the species (human) and it is therefore evolving more rapidly in it's newly found species host.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Let's hope our officials take a similar tact when the inevitable steeper rise in illness rears it's head again once as we enter the winter months. I rather think they will as any more extreme measures and the cupboards will be well and truly bare.

Correct. Alf Cannan could do worse than to tell them the Treasury cupboard is bare. 

12 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Correct. Alf Cannan could do worse than to tell them the Treasury cupboard is bare. 

Perhaps he should be saying the same to public sector then as they will be expecting full pay every time they get a few sniffles but lots don’t get paid if they don’t work 

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's quite worrying how many people have been badly hit this time, not least because it suggests that we will be seeing a lot more hospitalisation among the more vulnerable, though it's possible the Spring booster for over-70s etc will protect them more.  It certainly suggests Manx Care would be wise to extend their Autumn booster to younger people (say over-50s) though I noticed the most recent death (announced a couple of weeks ago) was someone in their 40s.

I agree.

It is quite natural for humans to follow the “theory of one”. I.e., if I know someone who is seriously ill with Covid, then the theory goes that ‘sample of one’ leads me to believe that Covid is a pretty dangerous illness. But, on the other hand, if I know someone who has Covid, and their only symptom is an occasional cough, then I regard Covid as being a relatively harmless nothing burger. The truth of course is that Covid is an incredibly complex disease that afflicts every one of its victims differently – to some people it is harmless disease, to others it is deadly. Also, when these patients are too unwell to study or to perform work tasks, etc they put additional burdens on the economy and other aspects of everyday life. Even some so-called ‘young and healthy’ people will not be able to avoid being hospitalised.

The CNN article that I posted yesterday about the latest study in the US (believable because it was conducted by scientists and not politicians) clearly identifies why Covid is not like ‘seasonal’ flu and that ‘herd immunity’ from Covid is still wishful thinking. One of the main reasons for this is that the frequency with which Covid mutates. These mutations are not related to the changing seasons like the flu virus does, but are occurring far more quickly and unpredictably. The scientists have demonstrated that most patients who caught the original Omicron strain at the end of last year do not have much immunity to Omicron’s latest sub-variants. Undoubtedly, the existing vaccines are helping to alleviate the worst of their symptoms but not all of them. Hence, for the benefit of all individuals and also society as a whole, the IOM Autumn Covid booster programme must be extended to much younger age groups than is currently being planned.

I have great respect for Jonathan Van Tam, but it is worth noting that the European health authorities appear to be much less sanguine than he/ we appear to be. As always, time will tell. 

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Perhaps he should be saying the same to public sector then as they will be expecting full pay every time they get a few sniffles but lots don’t get paid if they don’t work 

The public sector is open to applications. Everyone knows that here and elsewhere in the world and very very generally;

1. Public sector - Low risk, safe, steady, good t&Cs, average pay. Poor prospects. Good sick pay. Good pension

2. Private sector - risky, high pay potential. Poor T&Cs sometimes. Unlimited prospects. Poor sick pay. Pensions variable

You take your choice. 

Its not going to change anytime soon so no point whinging on about it. Get yourself a job in Government if its that good. Not for me.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The public sector is open to applications. Everyone knows that here and elsewhere in the world and very very generally;

1. Public sector - Low risk, safe, steady, good t&Cs, average pay. Poor prospects. Good sick pay. Good pension

2. Private sector - risky, high pay potential. Poor T&Cs sometimes. Unlimited prospects. Poor sick pay. Pensions variable

You take your choice. 

Its not going to change anytime soon so no point whinging on about it. Get yourself a job in Government if its that good. Not for me.

Disagree about average pay, it’s certainly well above average for majority of public sector, excluding education & health  based on their abilities & what they could earn elsewhere, also prospects are very good for anyone with ability .

Also we’re paying for all this well above norm sickness absence whilst telling self employed etc to just live with it!!

Edited by Banker

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

Disagree about average pay, it’s certainly well above average for majority of public sector, excluding education & health  based on their abilities & what they could earn elsewhere, also prospects are very good for anyone with ability .

Also we’re paying for all this well above norm sickness absence whilst telling self employed etc to just live with it!!

I'm not disputing that. I am saying you are free to apply for a job in public office. You keep repeating the same stuff over and over again.

image.thumb.png.c15d6a3d0b79b4a41ff1a5f3e86eb8a7.png

It's also worth noting that many private sector employers offer good sick pay schemes and some are getting the same issue.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

Anyone else’s Hayfever about 10 times worse this year? I’ve tried just about every OTC medicine and nothing has fully worked this year, most years I take one anti histamine and that’s me sorted until I either forgot to take one or it wears off.

Pollen Bomb

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-06-13/why-super-pollen-might-be-making-your-hay-fever-and-allergies-worse-right-now

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Anyone else’s Hayfever about 10 times worse this year? I’ve tried just about every OTC medicine and nothing has fully worked this year, most years I take one anti histamine and that’s me sorted until I either forgot to take one or it wears off.

I thought I had this last week & did a LFT just in case. Covid +.

Felt exactly the same as a really bad bout of hayfever. 

7 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Ms Clewlow said that while "pollen bomb" and "super pollen" had "no scientific basis", there is ongoing research into the the effect of thundery conditions on hay fever symptoms.

With the British media the headline is nearly always a lie.  If there's any truth there at all it will be in a paragraph hidden away towards the end of the article.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Ms Clewlow said that while "pollen bomb" and "super pollen" had "no scientific basis", there is ongoing research into the the effect of thundery conditions on hay fever symptoms.

With the British media the headline is nearly always a lie.  If there's any truth there at all it will be in a paragraph hidden away towards the end of the article.

But pollen bomb, thunder fever and thunderstorm asthma sound much more scary