IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

21 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

There are loads of people with colds at them moment as you would expect, and I know quite a few who have done the LFTs but none who have tested positive.

Has it just gone away?  I know I was getting dirty looks for having a cough the last few days to such an extent that I felt obliged to stay home a lot more than I needed to.

Are we hopeful that it just doesn’t become a concern this winter?

It's to be expected .We're heading into winter when there's traditionally coughs and colds knocking about - we've lost some protection over the last 2 years due to covid restrictions. So now the cold and flu bugs will run riot. Australia have had their winter and had an epic flu season 

https://medcom.uiowa.edu/theloop/news/australia-is-facing-its-worst-flu-season-in-years-why-that-may-impact-us-in-the-us

We really just have to crack on with it now. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

There are loads of people with colds at them moment as you would expect, and I know quite a few who have done the LFTs but none who have tested positive.

Has it just gone away?  I know I was getting dirty looks for having a cough the last few days to such an extent that I felt obliged to stay home a lot more than I needed to.

Rhinovirus is rampant because its September, covid will be back in a few weeks, many of the others will be around soon enough in their normal patterns, although as many people have spent several years avoiding each other there is a reasonable chance that some of the common winter illnesses may be a little more severe.

The only approach is 'oh I have a cold, I do not care what kind of cold I have' and do whatever it is you normally do with a cold. Like a bottle of rum.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I don’t want to be in their gang. I’d rather have the side effects. 

The bloke 3rd from the left was very  participant in the Laxey Beach swimming gala during lockdown - wild conspiracy theorist - not surprising to see him involved in this type of thing.

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage

42 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

No it hasn't gone away.  The most recent England and Wales figures (last week) showed a prevalence of 1.4%, the first rise for a while, though not massively so.  Deaths are still running at about 300 a week, though we don't know for the Island as they stopped publishing in August.

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

It's still about, but fewer people testing, nobody reporting, etc. The population ought to have a decent level of protection now, natural or otherwise, so we're probably not a huge way away from "normal". I'll be testing before family events over the winter period, vulnerable family etc, but otherwise business as usual. If you feel like arse, don't do avoidable trips out.

That said, when I had covid I tested negative for the first 3 days anyway, despite feeling pretty miserable. By the time I tested positive I was on the mend. Knew it was Covid because the person I caught it off was testing positive, but the LFTs are certainly more of a confirmation than a diagnostic.

7 minutes ago, wrighty said:

A couple of weeks after schools returned?

Looks like it.  According to the latest Infection Survey (pub 23 Sep):

In the week ending 14 September 2022, the percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) in England increased in those in School Year 7 to School Year 11 and those aged 25 to 34 years. For all other age groups, the trend was uncertain in the most recent week.

Presumably the latest info is from the Survey that will published officially tomorrow.

I really didn’t realise people were still testing, but felt awful so figured I should do one for other peoples benefit.

So since that now seems to be an ingrained behaviour I hadn’t realised I had picked up can we still get free tests to use as and when we feel ill or is it a no because so many people stockpiled them.

I am only talking about a bit of leave of mind if going to a crowded event and having symptoms like I do this week, not routine testing and stress just a bit of thought for others.  If people have to pay I guess they won’t bother