IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

51 minutes ago, quilp said:

What do your colleagues think? 

About what?  The vaccine neither prevents you from catching it nor spreading it; it provides you with some protection if you ever (statistically) needed it in the first place - so what does it matter what they think?

This 'social conscience' crap was/is precisely that.

Edited by Utah 01

20 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I had it once. It was no worse than a bad bout of flu. I can’t see that I’ll be bothered to have another booster on that basis. Just as I can’t be bothered having a flu jab when the worst case scenario is feeling a bit shit for a few days and possibly having a few days off work. 

Wrighty will correct me but you are wrong.  Every year 1000s of people get hospitalised and die with the common flu. A simple jab will reduce the chance of you being one of them is sensible. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

Or spreading it.

How does it do that then?

I'm no fan of the CDC, not one little bit, they're crackers. However, I will use their thing as an example. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm In this link it talks about the benefits of a flu vaccine. You will note that the benefits talked about are backed up with references. Then there is this bit "Getting vaccinated may also protect people around you". May. This bit is not backed up with a reference. Can anyone think of a reason for that?

(Also worth noting that the covid vaccines are substantially more effective than the flu ones at preventing severe illness.)

Edited by manxfisherman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

How does it do that then?

I'm no fan of the CDC, not one little bit, they're crackers. However, I will use their thing as an example. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm In this link it talks about the benefits of a flu vaccine. You will note that the benefits talked about are backed up with references. Then there is this bit "Getting vaccinated may also protect people around you". May. This bit is not backed up with a reference. Can anyone think of a reason for that?

(Also worth noting that the covid vaccines are substantially more effective than the flu ones at preventing severe illness.)

Maybe there is no evidence/proof, but I’d be unhappy sharing a queue/bus/lift with someone with the onset of flu.

34 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Wrighty will correct me but you are wrong.  Every year 1000s of people get hospitalised and die with the common flu. A simple jab will reduce the chance of you being one of them is sensible. 

Elderly and/or vulnerable people.  Not healthy people.

Much like COVID

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

Maybe there is no evidence/proof, but I’d be unhappy sharing a queue/bus/lift with someone with the onset of flu.

Oh no doubt, no one wants to get sneezed on or whatever. You can probably ignore me, I'm just a bit narked after arguing with dickhead antivaxxers going on about the transmission thing, when vaccines not preventing transmission is nothing new, cos that's not really what they're for.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I would like to know what your problem with getting a flu jab is manxfisherman. The benefits are obvious, I can't see the downside. 

Where do I say I have a problem the flu jab? I'm very pro vaccination. I think it's very wise for everyone over the age of about 60 or so to get one.

I just think it is important that people know what a vaccination* is for, it is to reduce the effects of illness to you and you alone, and that telling people that getting vaccinated protects others is dubious at best if not outright completely false.

I've got a major problem with the behaviour of public health departments the world over. They've fucked up big time in their messaging around the covid vaccines. Coercion is not consent, and its going to have very bad consequences for the future.

*flu or covid vaccine. 

Edited by manxfisherman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

Oh no doubt, no one wants to get sneezed on or whatever. You can probably ignore me, I'm just a bit narked after arguing with dickhead antivaxxers going on about the transmission thing, when vaccines not preventing transmission is nothing new, cos that's not really what they're for.

Most vaccines don't prevent transmission or someone catching a disease[1], but they usually do reduce the likelihood of both.  While this isn't the kind of thing that gets tested in lab conditions, it's something that is monitored in clinical trials in society (where testing is more meaningful) and there is plenty of evidence for there being an effect.  Such effects do seem to wear off more quickly than those which reduce the severity of disease, but boosters help.

As you say it's not the most important effect for either flu or Covid vaccinations and it has always been clear that the reduction in severity is what is most important.  Unfortunately some people either demand perfection or hear what they want to and then complain when the truth doesn't match their desires.

[1]  These are obviously different things but have a combined effect as well.  If you don't catch something, you can't pass it on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 3:38 PM, Numbnuts said:

I too, after seeing the announcement today , tried to book on line. I got to the end of questions etc and had this message 

• The vaccination status for the supplied person does not allow to automatically create an appointment. Please contact the 111 service via email (111@gov.im) or call 111

Had already emailed overnight so will wait and see what happens. It is a bit of a mix up tbh and not sure why they disregarded the originally plan.  

Just tried to book online saw the option for walk-in on Friday 21st. There wasn't any other Information, is it only Chester Street or is it somewhere else? 

Edited by Lilly
Wrong screenshot

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Just tried to book online saw the option for walk-in on Friday 21st. There wasn't any other Information, is it only Chester Street or is it somewhere else? 

Chester Street

Edited by kevster
  • Thanks 1