IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Should have been a task for the scrutiny committee  with direct reference to the Auditor general  if any evidence of money being wasted  was found ,  but no we have to employ a UK QC  at an estimated cost of £ 1.5 million    in an exercise that will take a year to complete  and probably never get to the bottom of the key events and issues   because the birds have now flown from the coop , and can not be recalled to give evidence ,

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Should have been a task for the scrutiny committee  with direct reference to the Auditor general  if any evidence of money being wasted  was found ,  but no we have to employ a UK QC  at an estimated cost of £ 1.5 million    in an exercise that will take a year to complete  and probably never get to the bottom of the key events and issues   because the birds have now flown from the coop , and can not be recalled to give evidence ,

I can only assume that there is a lot of dodgy dealings to be hidden and that is why they have called in a very expensive KC to do the inquiry to make sure they stay that way.  Something much cheaper, local and not involving lawyers might accidentally uncover something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I can only assume that there is a lot of dodgy dealings to be hidden and that is why they have called in a very expensive KC to do the inquiry to make sure they stay that way.  Something much cheaper, local and not involving lawyers might accidentally uncover something.

But it's not an inquiry, apparently. The definition (and differences) of what it is to be known as arose when the idea that we actually needed one first became public. 

The shift in mindsets this year to last is huge.

Very few people testing and very few workplaces seemingly bothered about people testing before coming in even with coughs etc assuming they are well enough to work.

Does anyone have any insight from any businesses that are still running a COVID policy or have most just forgotten about it?

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

TBF, it was a worldwide response and we had fewer restrictions and for a shorter time than many other places. 

It's still a sad situation we've ended up in. They've crashed the economy, made people queue in the rain for food, smashed the health service for non-Covid stuff... all to try and stop the spread of a virus that couldn't be stopped.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 11/10/2022 at 5:38 PM, Roger Mexico said:

I can only assume that there is a lot of dodgy dealings to be hidden and that is why they have called in a very expensive KC to do the inquiry to make sure they stay that way.

I'd be surprised, at least in respect of the main bits. The testing, tracing and border control services were all "in house", even the IT was "in house", so there won't be the widespread corruption we've seen in the UK. 111 here was largely staffed by government staff moved from other departments.

There are aspects that will look bad, for instance DfE's border exemption certificates, and I'm sure the economic support schemes helped the usual suspects most.

I don't see the point of the enquiry, we didn't do anything any other country didn't do (noting China are still doing it), and hindsight is always 20/20.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's still a sad situation we've ended up in. They've crashed the economy, made people queue in the rain for food, smashed the health service for non-Covid stuff... all to try and stop the spread of a virus that couldn't be stopped.

It depends on who 'they' are.  Agreed that Covid measures have had wide reaching and long lasting effects, but it wasn't all down to Quayle.  There were things here that don't 'sit right' but the most damaging measures were those being imposed worldwide.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The more you look back on it the whole situation was insane. Media driven mass hysteria and now everything is f**ked. As a lot of people said at the start it will just push the inevitable economic and societal pain further down the road and make it even worse. Still at least after it all there’s more old folk alive who sadly might now freeze to death this winter as they can’t afford their gas bill. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

The shift in mindsets this year to last is huge.

Very few people testing and very few workplaces seemingly bothered about people testing before coming in even with coughs etc assuming they are well enough to work.

Does anyone have any insight from any businesses that are still running a COVID policy or have most just forgotten about it?

The government workers are still taking advantage by ringing in saying I’m positive & taking 7 days off, probably need a FOI to establish numbers 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The more you look back on it the whole situation was insane. Media driven mass hysteria and now everything is f**ked. As a lot of people said at the start it will just push the inevitable economic and societal pain further down the road and make it even worse. Still at least after it all there’s more old folk alive who sadly might now freeze to death this winter as they can’t afford their gas bill. 

Obviously we will never know: but I can’t help speculating on what you’d be posting here if thousands of old folk had died “needlessly” because the Quayle administration “hadn’t done enough” to protect them.   I’m guessing that you wouldn’t be praising them for “getting it right”.

Edited by Jarndyce
Addition
  • Like 4