IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

Personally I'm not at all an anti-vaxer, but am not having a booster this year because I recently had a further bout of covid (which was very mild and short-lived, and in my view will act as my booster for this year at least). I did however have mRNA vaccines in January 2021, and a booster in September 2021.  So far I think it's been OK. It doesn't feel like I'm being tracked by Bill Gates.

That’s basically where I am. I’ve had enough natural immunity now through two bouts of covid plus the three boosters. These anti vaxxers really make me laugh. We are a long way away from where we were two years ago. You only have to look at what’s happening in China now to see where it would have ended up if lockdown was the only solution. In fact I’d care to wager the danger now is 1BN isolated Chinese boiling up a cauldron of weird variants because they’ve not been mixing and not been exposed to the inevitable mutations the rest of us have.

if you go back to March 2020 here the whole idea of closed borders and a zero covid strategy is literally insane. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

if you go back to March 2020 here the whole idea of closed borders and a zero covid strategy is literally insane. 

No it wasn't and it saved a lot of lives.  Before most of the population were vaccinated, if Covid got into a population, the health service was overwhelmed and many died.  This is what happened in the UK in early 2021.  We were lucky we could isolate.

I actually think both you and wrighty are wrong to not take up the latest booster.  The data we have suggest that boosters help protect against infection and that they do so a bit better than prior infection.  (Both may be even better, but that means you have to have had the inconvenience of catching Covid).  The latest vaccines are also claimed to have increased protection against Omicron.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

I actually think both you and wrighty are wrong to not take up the latest booster.  The data we have suggest that boosters help protect against infection and that they do so a bit better than prior infection.  (Both may be even better, but that means you have to have had the inconvenience of catching Covid).  The latest vaccines are also claimed to have increased protection against Omicron.

That’s a theoretical supposition based on something that never happened. Now even after it’s all ending you still can’t get a doctors appointment for two weeks. The whole thing has categorically been an economy sinking con. 

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s a theoretical supposition based on something that never happened. Now even after it’s all ending you still can’t get a doctors appointment for two weeks. The whole thing has categorically been an economy sinking con. 

Could you get a doctor's appointment quicker before?  My recollection is the GP service was stumbling before Covid. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Could you get a doctor's appointment quicker before?  My recollection is the GP service was stumbling before Covid. 

I can guarantee you the service before (at least as I experienced it) is much better than the service after covid. The real issue seems to be the number of over 50s who have done ok who have just jacked it all in because of the pandemic. Most GPs fall into that category. If you can afford not to give a shit after the last 2 + years then mostly you can hold out and only work when you want to. 

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Possibly Gladys but if so it has stumbled further since.

Absolutely agree, the issues with the health service pre-date Covid by a long chalk. To lay the blame on Covid is to miss the fundamental issue that the way our health service is structured is failing. 

That is not to criticise the dedication of those who work within it, but to question whether the 1940s model remains appropriate. Is free at the point of delivery right for everything, bearing in mind the ability to treat and cure more has just widened the scope and expectation? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Absolutely agree, the issues with the health service pre-date Covid by a long chalk. To lay the blame on Covid is to miss the fundamental issue that the way our health service is structured is failing. 

That is not to criticise the dedication of those who work within it, but to question whether the 1940s model remains appropriate. Is free at the point of delivery right for everything, bearing in mind the ability to treat and cure more has just widened the scope and expectation? 

Well yes I think so. Obviously there has been the widening of scope that you refer to ( and associated costs) but the principle that everyone should have the right to basic healthcare, regardless of the size of your wallet is one that should be protected.

If that means extra taxes or shifting budgets within different government departments so be it

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well yes I think so. Obviously there has been the widening of scope that you refer to ( and associated costs) but the principle that everyone should have the right to basic healthcare, regardless of the size of your wallet is one that should be protected.

If that means extra taxes or shifting budgets within different government departments so be it

It is a contentious topic, but you have to consider what should be basic healthcare. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No it wasn't and it saved a lot of lives.  Before most of the population were vaccinated, if Covid got into a population, the health service was overwhelmed and many died.  This is what happened in the UK in early 2021.  We were lucky we could isolate.

Totally agree. We missed out a little with the timing (perhaps) but our geography helped tremendously. 

27 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Now even after it’s all ending you still can’t get a doctors appointment for two weeks.

Actually seeing a GP when in need is really not as difficult as it was, thanks mainly to the GPs themselves who from what I have experienced are pulling out all the stops. They are hampered by poor admin and support systems, frequent changes to the availability and type of support systems in the community and the overall style of "leadership " being expressed by you know who.

There are changes needed - digital to paper systems causing communication gaps, relationships to Nobles, availability of central services etc. I could go on. But overall, I see it getting better from the GP perspective. One medic recently told me that sadly they can't practice medicine any more, they have to do as they are told now.