IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Had my booster recently. What's the logic in giving me my flu jab at the same time? Boy did I feel groggy as hell after that, hadn't felt any issues from previous vaccines.

Assuming it's about saving time and killing two birds versus clogging up GPs.

14 hours ago, forestboy said:

Had mine on two separate occasions. Flu jab at GP’s. 
No I’ll affects 

14 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Normally I'd get my flu jab at GPs, no issues. No side effects with prior COVID vax either. But having the pair of them together at Chester St a few weeks ago, I regret.

Had my 6th covid vax and my seasonal flu booster at Chester Street within 2 minutes. No side effects. Had Mpox vax on Tuesday. Raised sore welt at injection site.

There is an obvious  snag to acquiring “ natural immunity” .It means contracting a disease and than getting over it.

How you fare depends   on the disease - ( It isn’t the best way of dealing with tetanus) ;It depends on you - your state on health, environmental factors , your immunological status ..  and other unknown factors which we  can still only put in thrvcategory of “luck”

Anyone who has casually glanced at tomb stone inscriptions will quickly appreciate that a truly horrifying number of people, especially the new- born and their mothers  got infections and very quickly died.Many other young people went on to die of infectious disease such as Scarlet fever, diptheria, cholera , smallpox  and tuberculosis .

Obviously many acquired immunity and survived - but at a cost .TB scarred lungs and other disability and life-shortning  effects such as the widespread brain,kidney and heart sequelae  of their “ scarlet fever” infections, or the chronic disability after polio were very common.

For well over a hundred years society has  struggled to try any ameliorate disease, improve life and postpone death through improved  environmental  conditions, and medical interventions - Immunisation in particular has been extraordinarily successful in this struggle.

These diseases  have not gone away.

• Like 4

The NPM reports this morning, that IOMG purchased 1000 body bags, a week after closing the islands border. In the end the ‘death toll for COVID has been relatively low. Whilst IOMG were in some respects ‘prepared’  the future inquiry will no doubt throw up some interesting facts which IOMG will not want revealing. Can IOMG get a refund on these body bags? 

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The NPM reports this morning, that IOMG purchased 1000 body bags, a week after closing the islands border. In the end the ‘death toll for COVID has been relatively low. Whilst IOMG were in some respects ‘prepared’  the future inquiry will no doubt throw up some interesting facts which IOMG will not want revealing. Can IOMG get a refund on these body bags? 

Keep them for the TT maybe?

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Surprised this is news really.  What would you expect them to do, buy some rubble bags? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

That is only the tip of the iceberg of stuff they shipped in and never used, most of which is now beyond its useable date and just sat in boxes.

Maybe they should distribute it to homes for people to burn to keep warm this winter

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Do you think they had a crystal ball to look into the future ? 

It's like complaining that the IoM has a load of fire engines at the airport that never get used, and asking why we don't get a refund.

Across the world,Governments looked at the projected casualty rates and impact on medical services (as you'd expect them to do) and bought equipment to prepare. In the early days, projections were suggesting a casualty rate of 2%, which is a lot of body bags to fill. If you knew better at the time and had studies to back that up, why didn't you stop them ?

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

That is only the tip of the iceberg of stuff they shipped in and never used, most of which is now beyond its useable date and just sat in boxes.

Maybe they should distribute it to homes for people to burn to keep warm this winter

And what was the alternative?  Ignore Covid and take no preparatory steps?  Another view was thank heavens all this stuff was there for when and if needed,  but so very fortunately it was not needed.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Do you think they had a crystal ball to look into the future ? 

It's like complaining that the IoM has a load of fire engines at the airport that never get used, and asking why we don't get a refund.

Across the world,Governments looked at the projected casualty rates and impact on medical services (as you'd expect them to do) and bought equipment to prepare. In the early days, projections were suggesting a casualty rate of 2%, which is a lot of body bags to fill. If you knew better at the time and had studies to back that up, why didn't you stop them ?

Has anyone ever looked at the number of fire engines per head of population?  World leaders again on the money spending tables.

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Has anyone ever looked at the number of fire engines per head of population?  World leaders again on the money spending tables.

Am I unreasonable to think that fire engines are a reasonable expense ?

Would you rather have a single fire engine in Douglas that races Benny Hill style from burned-out building in Ramsey to burned-out building in Port Erin, never quite arriving in time to see the fire ? All sounds a bit Will Hay.

Aside from domestic fires, the IoM learned lessons from Summerland. We have large buildings, power stations, gas infrastructure, industrial plants, an airport, ferry terminal and railways. A fire at any of those needs significant resources that a few villagers and a bucket chain can't fix.

• Haha 1