IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

Should our 'gatekeepers' be considering doing the same with people travelling from/through China? Italy and the US appear to be considering implementing restrictions...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64116416

Wonder what Tim Glover and Dud Butt's view is?

No. It's completely pointless. There will be enough testing going on already, likely hospital admissions, to pick up any 'scary' variants, there is no possible other reason to do it.

• Like 2

Just now, TheTeapot said:

No. It's completely pointless. There will be enough testing going on already, likely hospital admissions, to pick up any 'scary' variants, there is no possible other reason to do it.

I agree, I still bet it will at least come up for discussion and possibly even be introduced though.  Especially with Chinese New Year coming up.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

I’d like to see them quarantine the Chinese travelers. I agree with you it would be completely pointless from a covid perspective but it would just piss them all off politically and isolate them even more from the rest of the world for selling lockdowns and zero covid policies as failed solutions to the rest of us. So I would at least like to see us shoving them into covid hotels for at least 2 weeks like they’ve been doing to travelers to China and Hong Kong and to their own citizens for over 2 years now. Purely because it will piss them off and treat them like the pariahs they are. 

• Haha 1

The problem with having a billion poor quality vaccined (or not vaccinated at all) Chinese...is the risk of a new variant springing up that could screw us all up again.

We really don't want round 2 of this shit, so keep them out I say...

...and pour good quality vaccines in there to help them get past this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The problem with having a billion poor quality vaccined (or not vaccinated at all) Chinese...is the risk of a new variant springing up that could screw us all up again.

Could happen with any virus at any time. Pointless keeping anyone out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Disagree...there's a billion of them...far more chance of a variant springing up there than here where most are vaccinated. Maffs.

Being vaccinated barely lowers your risk of catching it, and only if you're recently boosted (which I'd hazard a guess most aren't now), has little effect on your viral load, and probably no effect on chance of mutation (other than that a vaccine-escaping variant is probably more likely in a well vaccinated person). Science.

Just now, HeliX said:

Being vaccinated barely lowers your risk of catching it, and only if you're recently boosted (which I'd hazard a guess most aren't now), has little effect on your viral load, and probably no effect on chance of mutation (other than that a vaccine-escaping variant is probably more likely in a well vaccinated person). Science.

You might easily catch it...but if you're not vaccinated it can run rife in your body with a much greater chance of creating a variant. Data science.

8 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Disagree...there's a billion of them...far more chance of a variant springing up there than here where most are vaccinated. Maffs.

There are 6 direct flights from China due to land in the Uk in the next week, a total of 1765 seats.

There were an estimated 264000 new covid infections in the UK on 27 December.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

You might easily catch it...but if you're not vaccinated it can run rife in your body with a much greater chance of creating a variant. Data science.

"Running rife" isn't data science. Viral load is. Which is more or less the same in vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. Amount of viral genetic material is directly proportional to chance of mutation.

19 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Ok, so I read recently that this horrible new strain of bird flu originated from China because they were using too much anti-biotics etc on their factory fowl, now you're saying that we're going to get new variants of covid because they aren't vaccinating enough.

Seems to me, when that horse has bolted, you can't slam shut that barn door to keep it in. 

Covid? it's all good now, stop worrying. They over-exaggerated anyway, to try and cover the fact that they have run down our health care system so much, while the rich get ever richer.

• Like 2