Filippo

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Fortunately not everyone is insane.

EU calls screening of travellers from China unjustified

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64119080

Not everyone is insane? Really?

World War 1 then World War 2

Variant 1, 1a, 1b... then maybe variant 2, 2a, 2b

China is 1/6th of the worlds population, a billion mostly not properly vaccinated. It's a potential cess-pool of new variants.

Best keep them out till they catch up with the rest of the world I say.

China on covid is where the uk was 2 yrs ago.

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not everyone is insane? Really?

World War 1 then World War 2

Variant 1, 1a, 1b... then maybe variant 2, 2a, 2b

China is 1/6th of the worlds population, a billion mostly not properly vaccinated. It's a potential cess-pool of new variants.

Best keep them out till they catch up with the rest of the world I say.

China on covid is where the uk was 2 yrs ago.

For a new variant of the SARS-Cov-2 virus to have a dramatic and significant effect on the western world it would have to do impossible things. Your argument is flawed, because you do not understand that point.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

For a new variant of the SARS-Cov-2 virus to have a dramatic and significant effect on the western world it would have to do impossible things. Your argument is flawed, because you do not understand that point.

I disagree...in a billion unvaccinated chinese bodies it might just achieve that over time...

...as it did the first time.

9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I disagree...in a billion unvaccinated chinese bodies it might just achieve that over time...

...as it did the first time.

That's because it was a new virus (and I have a few issues about that).  Who knows how many variants are circulating outside of China?  I haven't done a test for months, and many others haven't either.

Then you have to take another view and that is to take mother nature on and expect to win you are on to a proper arse whipping. 

Best we can do, and should do, is look after our individual health.  There will be casualties, but we will all be casualties at some point and some before our time. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Who knows how many variants are circulating outside of China? 

Scientists do, and you can too, cos that information is public https://nextstrain.org/ncov/gisaid/global/6m and as I mentioned earlier there is enough testing going on to spot new ones very quickly, even though we are at the point where it no longer matters cos everyone has been exposed.

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Scientists do, and you can too, cos that information is public https://nextstrain.org/ncov/gisaid/global/6m and as I mentioned earlier there is enough testing going on to spot new ones very quickly, even though we are at the point where it no longer matters cos everyone has been exposed.

Well quite, but do we care? We have to look at the whole picture, not just Covid prevention, it is the financial, social and unintended consequence health cost of Covid prevention that will be longer lasting than Covid itself.

• Like 1