IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 4/4/2023 at 8:09 PM, genericUserName said:

What ever happened about herd immunity? Are we nearly there yet?

On 10/30/2020 at 4:25 AM, Black Mirror said:

wrighty arguments are flimsy. However, a couple of days ago I saw the same conclusion on a serious scientific paper with more substantiated estimations. The UK could be on a path to achieving herd immunity in six weeks, in absence of mitigation through further restrictions.

It was always the endgame that the Covid-19 virus was going to spread until we, as a population, had developed immunological resistance. And after that, guess, it would have kept spreading; with less fuss, as all the other cold viruses do. It is what is happening now. No?

One cannot develop sterilising immunity from an RNA virus like Covid-19 and the other four coronaviruses that are endemic in the human specie. Nor from the other cold-inducing viruses: adenoviruses, rhinoviruses, RSV etc. Nor from the 200-plus viruses inducing influenza and pneumonia. That is the reason why all those respiratory viruses had not been regarded as particularly amenable to vaccination in the past (and I haven’t seen any piece of robust scientific evidence demonstrating that they have become vaccinable now). One can have sterilising immunity from measles, smallpox, polio etc; but not from cold and influenza viruses. Sterilising immunity means that one cannot be infected with virus and thus cannot transmit it, to be clear. An eradication policy usually makes sense only when sterilising immunity is possible (zero-covid was a very cretin idea).

One can develop immunological resistance to the 200-plus viruses inducing “cold”; and one can develop immunological resistance to the 200-plus viruses inducing influenza and pneumonia (viruses can be grouped in families and they always have so many variants...)

I, for instance, do seem to have had that kind of immunological resistance: never vaxed for Covid or flu in my life; and got Covid and presumably most of those other respiratory viruses over the decades; and none of them made me sick enough to stay at home or skip a running session in the park or abstain from any other activity I wanted to do (in teenage and adult life; I had plenty of childhood illnesses with high fever etc until I was about seven). There is a big difference between having a virus and being sick with it.

Conversely, you and the other branch covidians are on a gene therapy treadmill to counteract a type of cold, for the rest of your life. You have outsourced pieces of your immune system to the government and its corporate henchman Pfizer and will keep sucking from them until you die.

The most stupid thing about you and the others branch covidians, the delusion that those who control you give a shit about you. Authoritarians don’t care about the welfare of their subjects.

Here are the last videos that came to my attention:

https://www.steynonline.com/mark-steyn-show/13270/a-vax-update

https://rumble.com/v2dvif0-no-preclinical-safety-studies-for-genotoxicity-oncogenicity-or-teratogenici.html

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WTF said:

so who/which groups of people would have been turned away on island then ??  

It was an unpalatable discussion for some, and I know you're just goading me to say something controversial, but it really wasn't.  Who gets an ITU bed is a discussion that happens every day in units up and down the UK. When resources are limited those that are most likely to benefit from them are the ones that receive them.  We were going to use the Clinical Frailty Score as a simple, reproducible and validated decision aid.  Bluntly put, a 90 year old on home oxygen would not be offered an ITU bed over a fit and well 25 year old.  We were very careful not to be purely ageist, and caveats were in place so those with long-term conditions/disabilities would not be unduly discriminated against.

No triage method in 'mass casualty situations' (where demand outstrips resources) is perfect, but it's better to have a plan in place than not. Our relatively prompt lockdown, border restrictions, ITU expansion into recovery (from 6 to 18 beds), re-training and upskilling of staff to be able to work in an ITU setting, and all the other contingencies we put in place meant that nobody had to be 'turned away'.

Edited by wrighty
minor typo/grammar
  • Like 8

Appreciate you posting on this topic wrighty. One thing that politicians always say is that there was no plan for this, the pac asked Ashford and Howard who both repeated the same.  When questioned as to why they didn't use the pandemic preparedness plan they were stumped.  I assume the hospital has the same plan and used it to a degree?

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It was an unpalatable discussion for some, and I know you're just goading me to say something controversial, but it really wasn't.  Who gets an ITU bed is a discussion that happens every day in units up and down the UK. When resources are limited those that are most likely to benefit from them are the ones that receive them.  We were going to use the Clinical Frailty Score as a simple, reproducible and validated decision aid.  Bluntly put, a 90 year old on home oxygen would not be offered an ITU bed over a fit and well 25 year old.  We were very careful not to be purely ageist, and caveats were in place so those with long-term conditions/disabilities would not be unduly discriminated against.

No triage method in 'mass casualty situations' (where demand outstrips resources) is perfect, but it's better to have a plan in place than not. Our relatively prompt lockdown, border restrictions, ITU expansion into recovery (from 6 to 18 beds), re-training and upskilling of staff to be able to work in an ITU setting, and all the other contingencies we put in place meant that nobody had to be 'turned away'.

it was bait, but the answer is what i expected and hoped it would be in actual reality with social standing and wealth playing no part at all.

cynically thinking though money usually talks and i doubt a 60 something year old MHK would get turned away over a 50 year old bar worker.

51 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Appreciate you posting on this topic wrighty. One thing that politicians always say is that there was no plan for this, the pac asked Ashford and Howard who both repeated the same.  When questioned as to why they didn't use the pandemic preparedness plan they were stumped.  I assume the hospital has the same plan and used it to a degree?

I'm not really the best person to ask - I've been involved in major incident planning but not pandemic planning per se.  There was definitely a plan regarding a possible flu pandemic, but as we know covid tore up the rules mainly because of its asymptomatic transmission.  I think there's only so much planning that can be done as each infection is different.  The basic principles of hygiene, isolation and PPE apply to all infectious diseases though.  But no matter how well planned you are you can still be overwhelmed by the scale and rapidity of an epidemic.  To quote Mike Tyson, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WTF said:

it was bait, but the answer is what i expected and hoped it would be in actual reality with social standing and wealth playing no part at all.

cynically thinking though money usually talks and i doubt a 60 something year old MHK would get turned away over a 50 year old bar worker.

We'd have been as objective as possible, and wealth/social status would not have come into it.  Fortunately it never came to it.  I'm sure there was talk in the UK about similar things, comparing the priority of the Queen, or David Attenborough (other ancient national treasures are available) over a young 'nobody'.  And I honestly think the decision would be the same - ER and DA would have been given lower priority due to pre-existing frailty.  We'd never have heard about it though.  

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

I'm sure there was talk in the UK about similar things, comparing the priority of the Queen, or David Attenborough (other ancient national treasures are available) over a young 'nobody'.  And I honestly think the decision would be the same

They managed to find an ICU bed for a certain Prime Minister, even though he didn't need to be on a ventilator, so I think you may be being a bit over-optimistic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

They managed to find an ICU bed for a certain Prime Minister, even though he didn't need to be on a ventilator, so I think you may be being a bit over-optimistic. 

I do remember BJ being on ITU.  At that stage I don't think there was an Italy style crisis for ITU beds, and to be fair he was in his 50s not his 90s.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Black Mirror said:

You, Acoustically-Challenged, you are in an entirely different class. You want to believe! You cannot accept that the institutions you love and trust so much could, would, do something wrong to you. It is simply not possible, in your world. Your peace of mind derives from being a true believer.

So what is it about Dr Classen’s research in the example you cited, that exonerates him of his reputed biases and poor science?

Instead, you write a lot of fluff to say very little in big bursts. Some may call it marketing. Others? Bullshitting. 

It’s a monologue to make yourself feel smart. Some would call it “tugging off your ego” to put it bluntly. 

7 hours ago, genericUserName said:

You undermine your case when you wrap it in paranoid ideas about government control. As if either Covid or the response to Covid were all somehow a nefarious plot to control us.

That narrative falls apart when you consider that everyone acts as though they know of this secret cabal, posting it on the internet.

If there was a conspiracy, you’d be painting a target on your own head. 

• 3 weeks later...

Covid vax dose 7 yesterday. I didn’t receive an invite, as I was told. So I booked on line, which was said not to be allowed. No side effects yet.

Chester Street deserted. Only me. Only one operational vax station. 7 staff, however.

Had been to blood clinic beforehand for follow up bloods. My March sample tested positive for leukaemia return. That’s the 4th time in 16 months. Fortunately, on previous 3 the follow up tests were negative, so false positives. Fingers crossed that’s the case again.

Half the attendees at blood clinic were wearing masks. Is it on the rise again?

Im off to London, for the weekend, tomorrow. Going to see a performance, Burnt City, by Punchdrunk. It’s physical theatre, dance, movement, mime, in an immersive  Promenade performance, in a warehouse down in Woolwich.

I dread what some of those terms might mean. But reviews are good - and it was suggested by the essential companion/carer/drool wiper I’m going with. Another “rent a crip” ticket success. I get in half price, my “carer” goes free. 

Just received a long e-Mail of do’s and don’ts. Including this

We ask all audiences to wear a Covid mask. On top of this you will wear one of Punchdrunk's signature theatrical masks. This will give you anonymity throughout the performance to help you feel empowered to explore at will, and also make you distinguishable from the performers”.

On 4/6/2023 at 11:57 AM, WTF said:

Prof Ashfords parallel lives!

• 3 weeks later...