IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

just wait until the traffic gets back on the quay and the DOI realise how narrow they have made it with that huge pavement no one will walk on because everyone likes the quayside and to look at the boats in the harbour , 

its so narrow now two large vehicles  can not pass , next thing,  one way system right through Peel and the promenade , and if you cant find a parking space because the DOI have got rid of the parking , supported by the Peel commissioners  you drive on  and not spend any money in the retail areas  or promenade in Peel ,

scheme cost over £2 million to date and the word on the street is they have forgotten to run the cables under the road for the vehicle charging points outside the marine hotel ,  so more delays  and  retail damage to business in Peel 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I read this before and it made me incredibly sad

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/elderly-couple-found-dead-in-garage-had-mutually-agreed-longstanding-intention-to-end-their-lives/

“Both were fearful of Covid and maintained their own lockdown after national restrictions lifted,” she added” So that’s remaining locked in your own house for almost three years because of government pandemic brain washing. So incredibly sad that even in a small place like the IOM this sort of thing can happen. Condolences to all affected. 

• Like 1

It is very sad, but they had planned this course for over 50 years and had thought of Switzerland.   Covid was possibly just one aspect of many.  

Sad, but it would seem it had been fully planned and considered over decades -  the ultimate act of self-determination. 

• Like 1

That’s one issue but they were also said to be “very frightened of Covid and didn’t allow anyone in their house as they were focussed on not contracting the virus” and “maintained their own lockdown after national restrictions lifted”

This should be another one for the covid review. Governments brainwashing the vulnerable with doomsday messaging. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Broadcasterman said:

I read this before and it made me incredibly sad

After a long and wonderful energetic life, sad is ending your days in the proverbial piss-stained care home.

'Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything'.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Broadcasterman said:

This should be another one for the covid review. Governments brainwashing the vulnerable with doomsday messaging. 

I somewhat agree with this. The covid information at the start of the pandemic succeeded in convincing thousands of generally healthy people that they were ‘clinically vulnerable’, and despite the major threat of covid having largely gone away, you still come across people who are scared to go out, or insist on masking up everywhere (with little if any evidence of benefit)

I remember at one of the early senior clinical leadership team meetings it was said that ‘fear of covid might be as bad as covid itself’. For some people that has turned out to be accurate. 

I do think that the ‘brainwashing’ was right at the outset (maybe not with hindsight) but there has been little if no effort to undo it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

I somewhat agree with this. The covid information at the start of the pandemic succeeded in convincing thousands of generally healthy people that they were ‘clinically vulnerable’, and despite the major threat of covid having largely gone away, you still come across people who are scared to go out, or insist on masking up everywhere (with little if any evidence of benefit)

I remember at one of the early senior clinical leadership team meetings it was said that ‘fear of covid might be as bad as covid itself’. For some people that has turned out to be accurate. 

I do think that the ‘brainwashing’ was right at the outset (maybe not with hindsight) but there has been little if no effort to undo it. 

My mother has a couple of friends who still refuse to go out of house except to shop where they where masks & surgical gloves, won’t let anyone in house & won’t socialize except on phone & say they will continue for at least 12 months 

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

I somewhat agree with this.

Thanks. It’s hard in these circumstances to say much more as you have to be respectful of what’s happened here which is tragic. But the IOM especially went totally over the top and into ‘war’ mode with border closures the whole covid hotel stuff. I can fully understand how this sort of doomsday messaging could have tripped some people over the edge. I’d be interested to see if we ever publish the true suicide figures over the pandemic period either. 

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

But a lot of generally healthy people were ‘clinically vulnerable’ - the mortality rate for those in their 80s and 90s was frighteningly high.  It was widespread vaccination that brought it down to liveable levels.  In the case this couple, they had never got vaccinated, so they still would have been vulnerable.  But of course the fact they hadn't suggests that any 'fear' of Covid may have been part of a wider reason for their behaviour.  Or just an excuse - it may be been a useful way for unsociable people to avoid interactions they weren't keen on anyway.

The real problem with public information about Covid hasn't been any sort of Project Fear, but rather, from media and governments, a sort of Project Ignorance, where rather than providing accurate, ongoing information about risk and how to mitigate it, there's a belief that we should just pretend Covid has completely gone away and no one needs to worry their heads about it.  Not only does this mean repeating the mistakes of the past, but those who are overly cautious won't amend their behaviour realistically because they will have no information they can trust to rely on.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But a lot of generally healthy people were ‘clinically vulnerable’ - the mortality rate for those in their 80s and 90s was frighteningly high.  It was widespread vaccination that brought it down to liveable levels.  In the case this couple, they had never got vaccinated, so they still would have been vulnerable.  But of course the fact they hadn't suggests that any 'fear' of Covid may have been part of a wider reason for their behaviour.  Or just an excuse - it may be been a useful way for unsociable people to avoid interactions they weren't keen on anyway.

The real problem with public information about Covid hasn't been any sort of Project Fear, but rather, from media and governments, a sort of Project Ignorance, where rather than providing accurate, ongoing information about risk and how to mitigate it, there's a belief that we should just pretend Covid has completely gone away and no one needs to worry their heads about it.  Not only does this mean repeating the mistakes of the past, but those who are overly cautious won't amend their behaviour realistically because they will have no information they can trust to rely on.

I’m not talking about 80 and 90 year olds. I mean people my age who have slightly raised blood pressure or a bit of glucose intolerance, suddenly believed they were ‘clinically vulnerable’ And started behaving as though they might die any minute, where really their risk from covid had gone up from 0.3% mortality to 0.5%. Big increase in relative risk - yes - small absolute risk. You’re smart enough to understand the difference but many aren’t. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, wrighty said:

I’m not talking about 80 and 90 year olds. I mean people my age who have slightly raised blood pressure or a bit of glucose intolerance, suddenly believed they were ‘clinically vulnerable’ And started behaving as though they might die any minute, where really their risk from covid had gone up from 0.3% mortality to 0.5%. Big increase in relative risk - yes - small absolute risk. You’re smart enough to understand the difference but many aren’t. 

I’d been told before Covid that being in remission everything was back to normal. Then covid came along and I was classified as clinically vulnerable. I’ve not really behaved as such, apart from the first few weeks.

The classification has been useful as it got me Tesco priority slots and priority vaccine shots and boosters. 

Apart from the first lockdown, when no one was allowed in, as soon as re-entry was allowed we travelled. 2020 summer I went to Spain, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Spain, Bulgaria, and back to Spain. Then Xmas was due to go to Spain but got stopped when the borders closed. By summer 2021 I was back travelling, several spain trips, couple Bulgaria. Yes, there were testing and mask mandates and the covid pass. But I got to several theatre, circus and opera performances. By 2022 travel was back to normal.

The one thing my health scare has taught me is to get on and do the things I want to. It might be too late tomorrow. Certainly don’t hide away.

• Like 2