IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

20 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Based on the number of people who I know who have symptoms at the moment, and the number who have tested and confirmed they have it (no idea why they bothered) plus the number who will be positive without having a clue.

No disrespect intended - but, on that basis, it could just as easily be 500 or 50,000

5 hours ago, code99 said:

Under different circumstances I would agree with you, but in the land where the nasty miserly Tory Party (whose primary guiding principle is ‘austerity for the poor will be a boon to the rich’) is in charge, I cannot agree with you. Even reputable experts’ advice, when it does not fit with the current Tory orthodoxy, is either being ignored or compromised. Just look at RAAC scandal.

I understand that in countries like Australia and New Zealand the governments will be offering seasonal Covid booster to all residents. Time will tell if they are making the right decision on this one i.e., either the UK Government is underreacting to the threat of a new wave of mutated Covid, or the others are overreacting.

The article attached to my reply to Zarley refers to an UK-based study which identified that over-40’s, women in particular, are vulnerable to contracting what is often debilitating Long Covid. I have relatively young and healthy friends who had their two Covid jabs, nevertheless they became very ill with Covid during the last year’s TT. I sincerely hope that the UK Government/ IOMG are not screwing this up and their Covid policy-strategy works, because the consequences for some people could be horrific.

They should just offer it for sale for people who want it now, the emergency is over.

• Like 3

As ever xkcd had the last word on antivaxxers:

image.thumb.png.88d2c76bfb9b08c4b6d5b41cf3d24e41.png

There's some truth in that.  But I also suspect anti-vaxxers tend to be people who like to feel they're special.  And vaccination and other public health measures (eg masking and so on) are effectively universal -everyone is treated the same.  Which makes sense - viruses don't care after all - but it does seem to disturb some people's belief that they are the centre of the universe.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

the emergency is over.

I did not know you were a scientist, but let's hope you are correct in your assumption, although some disagree:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/08/pirola-latest-covid-variant-spreading-in-uk-health-data-suggests

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

They should just offer it for sale for people who want it now.

And why not? E.g., "Pfizer plans to sell Covid vaccines at $110 to $130 per dose".

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pfizer-plans-sell-covid-vaccines-110-130-dose-rcna53382

However, Prof Danny Altmann, an immunologist at Imperial College London, said: “Covid and long Covid vulnerability has been massively skewed to the most socioeconomically deprived – for example, those in jobs least compatible with working from home or taking time off when infected. By outsourcing vaccines to private medicine, we exacerbate this divide.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/17/covid-booster-jabs-approved-for-sale-to-uk-public

• Like 1

That variant article is another mess from the doomsters at the guardian. 'Pirola' isn't a real name, its just made up by that T Ryan nutjob and pushed by the same gang who have been wrong all pandemic. It makes no difference. 

I am not a scientist, no. I am also not (always) an idiot.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

That variant article is another mess from the doomsters at the guardian. 'Pirola' isn't a real name, its just made up by that T Ryan nutjob and pushed by the same gang who have been wrong all pandemic. It makes no difference. 

I am not a scientist, no. I am also not (always) an idiot.

5 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

No disrespect intended - but, on that basis, it could just as easily be 500 or 50,000

Are people seriously still sticking sticks up their nose ? Or are people just assuming they are sick so its covid . I guess since it's back , the flu will go missing again so that's a plus . 

Still not vaccinated and still not been ill since covid . My magical pills protect me . Dead cheap too and from most chemists and even Holland abs Barrett.  Yep the good old Vit D . 

I’m signed up on line.

I still fall into the Vaccination Green Book at risk category ( formerly Clinically  Extremely Vulnerable ) in chapter 14a. Person who has had blood cancer.

It'll be my 8th dose/5th booster. I’ll have the seasonal flu jab at the same time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m signed up on line.

I still fall into the Vaccination Green Book at risk category ( formerly Clinically  Extremely Vulnerable ) in chapter 14a. Person who has had blood cancer.

It'll be my 8th dose/5th booster. I’ll have the seasonal flu jab at the same time.

While your health issues are long documented on here and you are exactly the kind of person who should be offered a booster, honestly, do you think it will do any good? 

A vaccine is not a medicine.