IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Cambon, I and others are just pointing out that the system devised by your beloved Howie who you obviously worship is flawed and systems devised by other islands may offer better alternative as their infection rates based on testing is much lower than IOM

So, basically you cannot. Because although allowing a few thousand tourists in would definitely benefit a few hotels, allowing 85,000 people to leave the island and spend would be far worse economically. Sultan may call it entrapment. It is not. It is keeping islanders safe. Of course the seven days and test was going to expose cases. I am surprised it is only three so far. 14 days allows 96% of cases to run its  course. Nothing stopping people leaving. If I have to leave I will. But the way the uk is, I have no wish to go. 

Oh, and just to reiterate, again, I want free movement as much as you, but it has to be done at he right time. This is not the right time. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Cambon said:

So, basically you cannot. Because although allowing a few thousand tourists in would definitely benefit a few hotels, allowing 85,000 people to leave the island and spend would be far worse economically. Sultan may call it entrapment. It is not. It is keeping islanders safe. Of course the seven days and test was going to expose cases. I am surprised it is only three so far. 14 days allows 96% of cases to run its  course. Nothing stopping people leaving. If I have to leave I will. But the way the uk is, I have no wish to go. 

Oh, and just to reiterate, again, I want free movement as much as you, but it has to be done at he right time. This is not the right time. 

When then?

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Fair point. Unless everyone who has it in the community is by some fluke asymptomatic it surely can't be at large?

Actually we can be fairly sure that it is the community in Jersey, though probably not in great numbers as yet.  Although people are saying the the number of active cases has stayed the same, these are not the same 11 cases that there were on Friday.  There are three new cases today (six including Saturday and Sunday)[1] and it's just that six other ones from a couple of weeks ago have been deemed recovered that has meant the figure stayed the same.

On the same page, we're also given a breakdown of all cases since 1 July:

image.png.ff226b463e6a1bd2ea3a4907831ff3ab.png

This shows 49 imported cases, while the Friday figures were 44 (I happened to quote that in an earlier comment).  That means the remaining case comes from somewhere else - I think Contact tracing.  So at least one person has been infected in the community.

Incidentally the 5 new cases on arrival (from 4432 tests) is equivalent to 113 positive per 100,000, much higher that the 66 average that Jersey was discovering before.  Together with our new cases it suggests the rate is rising fast in the UK.

[1]  See the Daily Confirmed New Cases on here by moving your cursor across the dates

• Like 1

Banker you are the one who has not got a clue,if you are that desperate to get to Benidorm for a week getting sun burned and going clubbing hoping to see sticky Vicky’s daughter performing I suggest you go, you could actually stay there for a few weeks I am sure if you set up a go fund me the money would pour in from members of this forum.  Give us all a rest from your stupidity .

Having no cases because you don't test returnees (who then abide by their 14day quarantine) is exactly the same as having cases because you're testing returnees (who then abide by their 14day quarantine).

Neither of them matter at all. What matters is community cases. That's the only measure of whether a country's strategy is working. Otherwise you're just measuring how careful your populace are when they're on holiday.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Anyone said:

When then?

When the uk get this second wave, that is just starting, under control, we should allow relatives to visit, but only if staying in isolation. 

By next April, infection rates in the uk should be low enough to allow tourists to travel here with test on arrival and 24 hours quarantine awaiting result. 

There will be a small third wave autumn 2021. However, this will be after the tourist season. 

There will not be a TT or FOM next year. 

9 minutes ago, Anyone said:

24 hour results? Why not now then , why wait?

No one can answer that , certainly not Cambon or is he ashy!

Everyone who wants borders closed slags Jersey off but they are showing it works and their unemployment is falling.And it’s not just tourists it’s business travel.

lets see what Iom unemployment Is in 2 months and see if Cambon, Pongo & teapot comments that economy is doing well reflects in unemployment.

No doubt the thought police will be trolling soon telling those who don’t agree with them to leave, most of those aren’t even from Iom 

Edited by Banker

1 minute ago, Banker said:

No one can answer that , certainly not Cambon or is he ashy!

Everyone who wants borders closed slags Jersey off but they are showing it works and their unemployment is falling.And it’s not just tourists it’s business travel.

lets see what Iom unemployment Is in 2 months and see if Cambon, Pongo & teapot comments that economy is doing well reflects in unemployment.

Well let’s see what happens in the UK first. Don’t forget the UK can buy there way out of this but at a huge cost in terms of massive tax hikes. The IOM can’t as they have no control over their economy. That means they fund this by spending the funds they have but those funds will run out eventually. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s not true. We’ve gone over 100 days of not testing people who have returned from the UK who don’t have symptoms. So we haven’t found any cases as we haven’t tested most of the people who have come back. You’re assuming there have been no cases when likely there have been several cases exactly like this but nobody has been tested. So what’s the panic now that we have tested some people and surprise, surprise we’ve found some who are positive? By your logic you can never catch AiDS if you don't have an AIDS test! 

During that 100 day timeframe if there had been spread it would be noticed in the hospital admissions.

No by my logic you stand a much better chance of keeping infection rates low by not having people travelling back and forth to places where it's rife.