IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Bus Vannin also saying sickness is causing issues

Well if you get full pay & the sun is shining, public sector sickness are always well above private sector. Can’t find IOM rates but will be similar or worse than UK which is 56% above private sector 

26 Apr 2023  In 2022, the sickness absence rates were 3.6% for public sector workers and 2.3% for private sector workers, up 0.6 and 0.4 percentage points, ...

• Sad 1

Just now, Jarndyce said:

…in your esteemed and learned opinion, since you can’t find the IOM rates…

It’s obviously been hidden well by civil servants as it’s always been similar or worse!! It’s established fact that public sector workers have more sickness days than private sector 

2 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

You shouldn’t have any difficulty proving it with real numbers then, should you?

Last ones published for Iom from IOM today 

Rates for workers within the public and private sector stood at 2.7% and 1.8% respectively in 2018. The rate for public sector employees has been consistently higher than the private sector employees since 1995.

no doubt your apology is forthcoming 😂

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

no doubt your apology is forthcoming

I suggested that you should have no difficulty proving it with real numbers.   You found a quote from IOM Today within four minutes.   So my suggestion was correct (assuming IOM Today counts as proof these days).   What is it that I’m supposed to be apologising for? 🙃

8 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I suggested that you should have no difficulty proving it with real numbers.   You found a quote from IOM Today within four minutes.   So my suggestion was correct (assuming IOM Today counts as proof these days).   What is it that I’m supposed to be apologising for? 🙃

As a public sector worker it was clear you were doubting it!!

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

As a public sector worker it was clear you were doubting it!!

Without wishing this to turn into a “Punch & Judy” show, I should point out that I am not a public sector worker.   However, I do prize facts and numbers over opinions.

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo

10 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Without wishing this to turn into a “Punch & Judy” show, I should point out that I am not a public sector worker.   However, I do prize facts and numbers over opinions.

"That's the way to do it!"

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Banker said:

Well if you get full pay & the sun is shining, public sector sickness are always well above private sector. Can’t find IOM rates but will be similar or worse than UK which is 56% above private sector 

26 Apr 2023  In 2022, the sickness absence rates were 3.6% for public sector workers and 2.3% for private sector workers, up 0.6 and 0.4 percentage points, ...

Yep, the public sector has a higher rate of absence, totally correct.  The public sector almost entirely runs the national health service, usually inhabited, somewhat unsurprisingly, by ill people.  Perhaps there is a correlation between that and staff absence?

Furthermore, a greater proportion of women are employed in the public sector in almost every single role, especially education, health and social care.  From memory, only police officers and doctors have more male than female employees.  It may surprise you to learn that women have babies and often get ill as a result, and somewhat unsurprisingly, are absent.

Perhaps a police officer has attended a particularly harrowing scene, maybe knife crime or a domestic incident and needs some time off, maybe PTSD?  Or a health worker the same, a harrowing shift in ICU or A&E?  The things those people put up with and witness should not be used as point scoring re: absence.

Raw data always needs to be contextualised.  A bit like saying the banking crisis cost the taxpayer the initially claimed £400bn+, it didn’t, it was ‘only’ £23bn in the long run.  Is banking public or private sector?  Hmmm?

Edited by Meoir Shee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1