IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

At the time, locking people up seemed harsh but reasonable. We didn’t know if covid was about to run rampant through our community, overwhelming our health service and killing hundreds if not a couple of thousand people here. In retrospect, now we’re vaccinated and have mostly had covid a few times (and it’s like a common cold), we wonder what all the fuss was about. 

I do remember thinking at the time that there must be more to the imprisonments than just buying petrol on the way home from the ferry for example. If I’d have been in that situation, literally running on fumes and stopping for a fill up I think I’d have managed not to get thrown in jail - phone ahead, mask up, social distance, contactless pay etc. You know, take precautions rather than argue with the police when they turn up. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

You said you feel the same way about drug convictions. Either do something about it or don't mention it. Pretty simple

Ah dear, why should different standards apply to my post than your post? And you're right, it is pretty simple. Mentioning it is doing something about it. 

40 minutes ago, wrighty said:

If I’d have been in that situation, literally running on fumes and stopping for a fill up I think I’d have managed not to get thrown in jail - phone ahead, mask up, social distance, contactless pay etc. You know, take precautions rather than argue with the police when they turn up. 

How could you possibly think that? You seem to think that had you been reasonable they would have treated you reasonably. From at least two cases I know that didn’t happen. There was no reasonableness test. They were simply marched away and jailed. But as Thommo says they were all criminals who deserved it anyway. And that still seems to be the attitude that pervades. It’s amazing how people still seek to justify totally deranged totalitarian behaviour from government over the pandemic. Maybe next time we just round up people and shoot them? And everyone goes well they deserved it as the law said that we had the right to shoot them. 

39 minutes ago, Bosley said:

How could you possibly think that? You seem to think that had you been reasonable they would have treated you reasonably. From at least two cases I know that didn’t happen. There was no reasonableness test. They were simply marched away and jailed. But as Thommo says they were all criminals who deserved it anyway. And that still seems to be the attitude that pervades. It’s amazing how people still seek to justify totally deranged totalitarian behaviour from government over the pandemic. Maybe next time we just round up people and shoot them? And everyone goes well they deserved it as the law said that we had the right to shoot them. 

That's an intersting concept.

BTW - were you a good or bad boy during lockdown? Did you break the law, at all, at any point during that period? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bosley said:

"There was no "reasonableness" test" - love it! 

They weren't "simply marched away and jailed" or whatever hyperbolic nonsense you can come up with but rather "innocent until proven otherwise" they were duly processed through a court of law and sentenced if found guilty.

Incidentally if I'm speeding but driving "reasonably" does that mean I won't get a ticket?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

They weren't "simply marched away and jailed" or whatever hyperbolic nonsense you can come up with but rather "innocent until proven otherwise" they were duly processed through a court of law and sentenced if found guilty.

Incidentally if I'm speeding but driving "reasonably" does that mean I won't get a ticket?

No, because if you were speeding you are breaking the law which is not reasonable.  All you could hope for is if there is a defence that allows for a reasonable excuse, ie rushing an injured person to hospital, but is it a reasonable excuse to put others in danger? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

BTW - were you a good or bad boy during lockdown? Did you break the law, at all, at any point during that period? 

I went about my life in a way that many of the ridiculous rules imposed by a deranged government and administered by a deranged civil service and court system had the least impact on my life. The fact that we put 72 people in prison is a source of national shame and should be noted in the history books. In the exact same way that coaching people off the boat like plague carriers and locking them inside a hotel for two weeks should also be noted for the history books as genuinely insane behaviour by public officials. 

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Was there not quite a number of 'offenders' who'd received multiple warnings yet wilfully failed to comply culminating in their arrest?

You will be delighted to know there is another pandemic in the offing, so you can play this game again, probably in the Spring.

This time its Monkey Pox (sorry, that one fizzled as its an STD)

This one is Avian Flu. Said to be deadly to most of the population.

Remember to get multiple infections, wear a mask, maintain safe distancing, stay behind the perspex screens, lock up your grannies for their safety, etc, etc. And jail all infringers, or put them in concentration camps.

Make your choices. The politicians will do as they are instructed to do. Result will be more economic carnage, and all the side effects most people do not see.

Good luck.

1 minute ago, Bosley said:

I went about my life in a way that many of the ridiculous rules imposed by a deranged government and administered by a deranged civil service and court system had the least impact on my life. The fact that we put 72 people in prison is a source of national shame and should be noted in the history books. In the exact same way that coaching people off the boat like plague carriers and locking them inside a hotel for two weeks should also be noted for the history books as genuinely insane behaviour by public officials. 

And what would this historical finger-pointing achieve, exactly? 

6 minutes ago, Bosley said:

To make sure we never do it, or any version of it, again and learn from history. 

Had you been in charge, what are the key points which you would have handled differently?   Genuinely interested - you’ve stated at various points what you disagreed with, but not what you would have done instead.

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bosley said:

And what impact did going about your life have on others?

The laws, as they were at the time, applied to all of us.

• Like 2