IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Same answer as Lagman, but you dismissed that. If it’s one person, and they follow the rules, then obviously it is irrelevant if they’re a returning resident or a visiting relative. If the rules are ‘bent’ a bit then it’s more likely that locals will be exposed as a resident living alone is less likely to mix than visiting family. 

But the numbers are key. 

So it's irrelevant if rules followed so no reason for Howie to ban family other than he's not bothered as has all his family here!!

response in Tynwald on how many checks being carried out,

How many residents a) left the Island; b) returned to the Island; c) had quarantine checks carried out; d) had checks by mobile phone call; e) had checks by landline phone call; and f) received a physical visit to their place of isolation, each day since 20th July 2020?

I can confirm the following:

1. a)  Wedonotholdthisinformation;

2. b)  4457 landing cards completed;

3. c)  We do not conduct ‘quarantine checks’ (however see answer f) below);

4. d)  3409(wedonotrecordthetypeoftelephonecall).Atthetimeofwriting374phone

calls are outstanding for persons in self-isolation which will be made prior to their

isolation period expiring;

5. e)  Seeabove;

6. f)  675 visits to date. 

20 minutes ago, Banker said:

So it's irrelevant if rules followed so no reason for Howie to ban family other than he's not bothered as has all his family here!!

response in Tynwald on how many checks being carried out,

How many residents a) left the Island; b) returned to the Island; c) had quarantine checks carried out; d) had checks by mobile phone call; e) had checks by landline phone call; and f) received a physical visit to their place of isolation, each day since 20th July 2020?

I can confirm the following:

1. a)  Wedonotholdthisinformation;

2. b)  4457 landing cards completed;

3. c)  We do not conduct ‘quarantine checks’ (however see answer f) below);

4. d)  3409(wedonotrecordthetypeoftelephonecall).Atthetimeofwriting374phone

calls are outstanding for persons in self-isolation which will be made prior to their

isolation period expiring;

5. e)  Seeabove;

6. f)  675 visits to date. 

So 4457 people came here and 675 were visited to see if they were self isolating so a very tiny proportion. Also god knows how many people have left as we don’t keep records (despite the fact we own the shipping line which issues the tickets). As I’ve said frequently the agreed line seems to be “do next to nothing” rather than be proactive and test and trace. 

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Doesnt seem to have made the news but scotland have announced today that there are only 45 people in the country in hospital being treated for covid. This is down from yesterdays figure of 267 after it was admitted there were people in hospital for other ailments but at some point had tested positive for covid during their stay.

45 people in a country of nearly 6 million. 

The blog explaining the changes is here and is quite interesting in explaining who was and who now is included.  As with statistical reports that get produced here, you do really wonder if anyone looked at what the figures meant.  They only seem to have noticed when they realised their numbers  were almost as high as England's.  To add to the confusion some Scottish Health Boards were using the same definitions as the rest of the UK while others weren't.

But I wouldn't get too complacent about the numbers in hospital.  If you look at the way the number with Covid in English hospitals has gone over the last week (figures from graph on here):

8 Sep: 519

9 Sep; 539

10 Sep: 553

11 Sep: 600

12 Sep: 633

13 Sep: 661

14 Sep: 782

15 Sep: 866

It's not just the current numbers (though they are already higher than those we saw at any time in August) it's the way they are increasing so rapidly.  Exactly the same thing happened in mid-March and people were downplaying this in exactly the same way.

As you can also see from another graph on the same page the number requiring mechanical ventilation is also now rising in the same way.

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Sorry you are right, not one of my better posts.

You should of seen the sailors though, some were really awful, I should have held out for 20 quid.

I was wrong... you aren't that intelligent

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Er yes, I think you have not read this part of the thread.

Stop comparing cannabis with alcohol. It makes you look silly.

Cannabis is a headfucker. Not for everyone I agree. But a headfucker it is  for sure.

Brilliant, what does alcohol do exactly. Could you also point out the last time the police were called out to deal with rioting violent pot heads...

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Nice assumptions.

Alcohol frequently causes psychological problems. This isn't emergent science, cannabis does less harm than alcohol and nicotine.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Well I did say, "and I am not the only  one"

You know full well that cannabis can cause psychological problems. Maybe not for you, but the law isn't designed especially for you and your ilk, is it

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I like both.

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Brilliant, what does alcohol do exactly. Could you also point out the last time the police were called out to deal with rioting violent pot heads...

Pro tip:  If you click on the "+" sign in a comment you can then go to the topic about the subject which you are actually discussing and reply to it there:

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62389-cannabis-again/

Rather than cluttering up an entirely unrelated topic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Pro tip:  If you click on the "+" sign in a comment you can then go to the topic about the subject which you are actually discussing and reply to it there:

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62389-cannabis-again/

:thumbsup:

Family can apply to come, they are not banned, however they must follow the current isolation period which makes perfect sense.   Just because they are family it does not mean they are not carriers.  If they have a legitimate reason to come they will be allowed otherwise if you are so desperate to see them visit them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Family can apply to come, they are not banned, however they must follow the current isolation period which makes perfect sense.   Just because they are family it does not mean they are not carriers.  If they have a legitimate reason to come they will be allowed otherwise if you are so desperate to see them visit them.

Listen to Howie as he’s just as bad as you!! Non residents are banned whether family or not even if they follow isolation rules.

FFS this is why I asked the question what is the difference and Wrighty confirmed none but Howie couldn’t answer why non resident family could not visit!

The no non residents is helping house sales though. Buy house unseen, get the deeds registered. Sign up for the utilities. Bingo you have a property you own in the IOM so you’re a resident and can get your exemption certificate for the boat. Come over and then self isolate in your house. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

The reason is if we have returning residents and visiting relatives, that is a lot more people coming through the border than just returning relatives. Add to that where are they going to isolate? Are the family going to isolate as well because you can be pretty sure social distancing will be out the window. 

I am for relatives being allowed to visit, but not until cases in the north west calm down a lot. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The reason is if we have returning residents and visiting relatives, that is a lot more people coming through the border than just returning relatives. Add to that where are they going to isolate? Are the family going to isolate as well because you can be pretty sure social distancing will be out the window. 

I am for relatives being allowed to visit, but not until cases in the north west calm down a lot. 

Well returning residents can isolate in a house with 20 family members if they all live there who don’t need to isolate so what’s the difference with a son staying with parents? Answer- nothing 

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Apologies. It all started when someone compared Covid-19 to the Flu and er, that was likened to the cannabis/alcohol argument. 

Edited by Barlow