IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Non-residents aren't banned, there are plenty of routes for non-residents to get in if they need to come here.

I suppose the thinking is that non-residents will be more exposed to it in the UK, for obvious reasons, compared to residents who are popping over for a specific purpose and coming straight back.

Social distancing can't be enforced in the home. If a couple come over to see the grandkids they're going to be in the same house as people who are free to come and go. If the family with the grandkids all go across instead then they'll all have to isolate when they get back.

Maybe they're being too cautious, but non-residents coming here to visit isn't the same as residents going across to visit.

2 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

Social distancing can't be enforced in the home. If a couple come over to see the grandkids they're going to be in the same house as people who are free to come and go. If the family with the grandkids all go across instead then they'll all have to isolate when they get back. 

That’s the same is it is now for everyone so what’s the extra risk? There’s plenty already self isolating in shared housing. No checks being done of any kind. So why is it more risky if you’re not Manx than if you are? 

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s the same is it is now for everyone so what’s the extra risk? There’s plenty already self isolating in shared housing. No checks being done of any kind. So why is it more risky if you’re not Manx than if you are? 

It isn’t Wrighty said yesterday it’s irrelevant if rules followed 

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Well 1 was positive from the 402 Paid tests and we have 3 so the other 2 were either showing symptoms or were patient transfers who can opt for the test at 7 days but don’t get charged.

Sorry, misread the first bit

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

Couple come here to see son, daughter in law and two grandkids. That's four people out in the community and two locked in the house.

Son, daughter in law and two grandkids go across to see the couple instead. That's zero people out in the community and four locked in the house.

So yes, it is different.

20 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

Couple come here to see son, daughter in law and two grandkids. That's four people out in the community and two locked in the house.

Son, daughter in law and two grandkids go across to see the couple instead. That's zero people out in the community and four locked in the house.

So yes, it is different.

But that’s 4 coming from UK as compared to 2 so there’s more chances of bringing it over!

also what about elderly residents who are unable to travel and want to see family who can’t visit?

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

But that’s 4 coming from UK as compared to 2 so there’s more chances of bringing it over!

also what about elderly residents who are unable to travel and want to see family who can’t visit?

Why can’t older people travel?

I’m starting to think about my return and how I’ll transit England and get on boat, least risk to self and others.

I’ll fill up with fuel in Spain before getting on ferry. Then no need to stop between Portsmouth and Heysham apart from a comfort break.

Ive a cabin on both the Cap Finistere and the Ben. Drive off Ben and straight home.

Ive thought about the test on day 7. As I arrive home over a weekend the test would be day 8 with results on day 9. Then there are still restrictions. I work from home, so there is no rush to get back into an office. I’ll probably give it a miss.

We can’t keep relying on the Irish Sea.We need a robust but nuanced approach predicated on systems and protocols that work and that inspire public confidence.

(I'm not sue what that exactly means but it sounds rather good. I just saw it on Facebook)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Cambon said:

Because there will be virtually no tourists between now and April. If you bring in the 24 hour results now it will have a massive negative effect on the economy as 85,000 people go and spend elsewhere. 

Are you on drugs? there are people on this Island who have never left these shore's, do you think that all of a sudden there is going to be a mass exodus when the borders re-open? not a chance, the only people who are likely to travel will be due essential trip's eg Hospital/Business not shopping. Not sure you are aware but shopping can be done via the internet no need for travel to spend your money, I have been doing it successfully for year's you will have to try it, very relaxing.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

It doesn't really matter so much if they bring it over, because they'll be locked in their house for two weeks. They're also less likely to have it as they're not living and working in the UK.

As I said, there are exemptions available for people who *need* to travel here, including for compassionate reasons. But it is need, not want.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Are you on drugs? there are people on this Island who have never left these shore's, do you think that all of a sudden there is going to be a mass exodus when the borders re-open? not a chance, the only people who are likely to travel will be due essential trip's eg Hospital/Business not shopping. Not sure you are aware but shopping can be done via the internet no need for travel to spend your money, I have been doing it successfully for year's you will have to try it, very relaxing.

That’s a typical Cambon made up scare story with no basis.Some don’t even leave their village!!

• Confused 1