IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, tetchtyke said:

It doesn't really matter so much if they bring it over, because they'll be locked in their house for two weeks. They're also less likely to have it as they're not living and working in the UK.

As I said, there are exemptions available for people who *need* to travel here, including for compassionate reasons. But it is need, not want.

They won’t be locked in for 2 weeks if they get a test, whether you’re in a place for a day or a year makes no difference to catching virus if you don’t take precautions 

• Sad 1

Just now, Banker said:

They won’t be locked in for 2 weeks if they get a test, whether you’re in a place for a day or a year makes no difference to catching virus if you don’t take precautions 

And if they get a test on day 7 we know they don't have it (unless they do, in which case the 14 days starts again!) so happy days. But even with the day 7 negative test you're still very restricted, you can't even use the bus.

The longer you are somewhere the more likely it is you will get unlucky and catch it. If you're living somewhere rather than visiting for a few days you're more likely to visit places where you'll catch it- shops, pubs, buses- and more likely to have done it more often. It doesn't mean they will catch it, and it doesn't mean you won't be unlucky and catch it on a day trip, but it's about probability.

You can argue that they're being too cautious and that allowing non-residents to quarantine would be fine. But you can't say it's no different, because it is different.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Are you on drugs? there are people on this Island who have never left these shore's, do you think that all of a sudden there is going to be a mass exodus when the borders re-open? not a chance, the only people who are likely to travel will be due essential trip's eg Hospital/Business not shopping. Not sure you are aware but shopping can be done via the internet no need for travel to spend your money, I have been doing it successfully for year's you will have to try it, very relaxing.

Some people quite like the experience of going into shops

There is virtually still a 14 days quarantine for people entering the Island which is good.   True you can take a test after 7 days and if negative you can then enjoy 7 days of very restricted movement which is very good.  I have put this as simply as I can for the benefit of Banker who seems incapable of ingesting the information available and just bangs on about what he wants.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Banker said:

So, that hypothetical family of 4 has to shell out £200 ( if it’s possible - which it isn’t, see below and the link).

If they’ve arrived over the weekend they have to wait for a Monday and the results may not be available within the hopes for 24 hours. 

Then for between 4 and 6 days they can’t go to public indoor venues such as pubs, restaurants, cafes, theatres, gyms, swimming pools and nursing homes. Oh you May be able to return to work, if employer agrees and you aren’t in a public facing role ( not much good for a visitor ). You can’t even go and have a crab bap at Peel Breakwater cafe or an ice cream as al fresco dining is forbidden.

You can’t even use public transport.

Its not all that brilliant, even if you’re a resident.

BUT you are overlooking one important facet of the 7 day testing regime. It doesn’t apply to visitors. Only returning residents. Visitors have to do 14 days isolation.

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/day-7-testing/

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There is virtually still a 14 days quarantine for people entering the Island which is good.   True you can take a test after 7 days and if negative you can then enjoy 7 days of very restricted movement which is very good.  I have put this as simply as I can for the benefit of Banker who seems incapable of ingesting the information available and just bangs on about what he wants.

7 day test only if returning resident. Not applicable to visitors 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Just saying ....people travelling across on medical grounds and returning to Island are exempt from paying the 50 quid. if the decide on having test.

And I’m just pointing out that free or £50 ( and the two I’ve had to have recently to travel cross border in Europe cost €135 each ) the effect is not worth it for the 4-6 days of continuing restrictions. It’s window dressing.

As for the suggestion it’ll make people in your household feel safer? How so. By the time you’ve spent 7 days together they’ve been exposed and will have to do 14 days isolation if you’re positive. Plus you’ll have to start the 14 days all over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Are you on drugs? there are people on this Island who have never left these shore's, do you think that all of a sudden there is going to be a mass exodus when the borders re-open? not a chance, the only people who are likely to travel will be due essential trip's eg Hospital/Business not shopping. Not sure you are aware but shopping can be done via the internet no need for travel to spend your money, I have been doing it successfully for year's you will have to try it, very relaxing.

Sure there are a few who never leave. There are some who are currently scared to leave. However, most cannot wait for a bit of retail therapy. I was supposed to be away to Liverpool for a day trip last week. Had I gone, I would have easily spent £500. Instead, I went out for lunch and a bit of shopping in town, spending locally and helping the local economy. 

Yes, you can easily tell internet shopping is popular by the ill fitting clothes many people wear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3