IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

15 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’d be more worried about my (alleged) 10 year old daughter and my parents in the UK than myself and the IOM in such (alleged) circumstances. To the point that I’d probably be across visiting them right now as they would be more important to me than living in an artificial bubble because of a virus that kills such a tiny fractional percentage of people of my age. That’s 0.0037% of the UK population currently in hospital. Put your lottery numbers on. Your odds of winning something decent are better than that. 

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about?

My point is the border situation sucks but I prefer it to the UK's method of social distancing, trashing the economy, masks AND 14 days quarantine for travellers from most of Europe anyway.

Edited by tetchtyke

4 hours ago, benl said:

I think the press got a bit excited about Sweden and I don't really think it is fair. Doing my public health training there, and having lived there I don't really think it is comparable to other counties. 

I think it compares to other Scandinavian countries though, which share a lot of the same attitudes you analysed, though I suspect they are even stronger in Sweden than in Norway and Denmark.  But they carried out different policies.  One of the more useful Covid-tracker pages has been produced by the FT (paywall free) and that shows the number of excess deaths (over an average for the previous 5 years) over the first wave period for various countries.  For Sweden it's 24% over normal:

image.png.dbfe7eff521ce784132ef5c174fd6f5a.png

while for Denmark, it was only 6% or Norway where there were no excess deaths:

image.png.ff39ee815e5f345a9e2dd988afae980b.png         image.png.26e98817deea16719b471906a0f0dae3.png

It also has to be remembered that Sweden did say that they were making efforts to protect the vulnerable in places such as Homes for the Elderly - and then failed to make it happen.  To some extent this may be because the government didn't deliver the protection and support it promised (as seems to have happened on the Island) but it's also because once you have infection at a certain level within the community, it's impossible to keep it out of all that community.

Of course the percentage of excess deaths in Sweden still wasn't as high as those countries that got hit first - such as Spain (56%) and Italy (44%) - or those that made a total mess of it (UK 45%).  The social factors clearly have some effect.  But policy also makes a difference.

Whilst I know it’s harsh I’m not convinced that wrecking the economies of many countries including our own is justified to protect mostly very elderly residents who may in many cases have serious health issues anyway.

The unemployed who are mainly the younger population are going to be suffering hardship for years.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Whilst I know it’s harsh I’m not convinced that wrecking the economies of many countries including our own is justified to protect mostly very elderly residents who may in many cases have serious health issues anyway.

Yeah, lock those worthless fuckers up and let them die alone!!! They've already had their lives, fuck 'em.

24 minutes ago, Banker said:

Did I say that? I’m just not convinced ruining millions of lives is justified to protect a few older population 

What millions? 

Last time I looked the population was approaching 90k. Some 20% of whom are over 65. That's a lot of voters.

If Mr Quayle relaxes the border controls and the virus gets into another nursing home the results will be brutal.

What would you say to the bereaved...?

1 hour ago, tetchtyke said:

It's far too early to tell if Sweden's economy has done better or worse than anyone else's. But no country exists in isolation and so their neighbours' economic woes will drag them down too.

The timeline is somewhat subjective. The much hackneyed "too early to tell" card has been consistantly played by the useless UK gov to try and put off the inevitable time when they are made to take responsibility for their dismal performance.

If there is a second wave, and we should all pray there isn't, I wonder if Sweden will lock down if their neighbours do?

50 minutes ago, Banker said:

The unemployed who are mainly the younger population are going to be suffering hardship for years.

do you ever think before you post? We should all be doing our utmost to protect everybody. Some of those elderly are the reason you and your ilk are around

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

What millions? 

Last time I looked the population was approaching 90k. Some 20% of whom are over 65. That's a lot of voters.

If Mr Quayle relaxes the border controls and the virus gets into another nursing home the results will be brutal.

What would you say to the bereaved...?

Talking globally not just Iom perspective as we will be impacted by what’s happening in UK, Europe & further afield 

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

What will you say to the many unemployed on the island with a bleak future plus the 21 airport workers who lost their jobs today. Will you offer to pay their mortgages?

They’re starting to become just collateral damage now as the covid lunacy is so entrenched. There is going to be social unrest at the end of this when people realize just how fucked over they’ve been. We (the UK in particular) deserves that too. 

• Sad 1