IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

35 minutes ago, finlo said:

I was chatting with someone yesterday who told me there was radio program that stated that the true death count in the UK from Covid was 307 all the rest were people who just happened to have it while actually dieing from an unrelated cause. How true that is I have no idea.

If that was true then obviously no reason for all the restrictions and border closures etc other than mass hysteria!!

34 minutes ago, Banker said:

If that was true then obviously no reason for all the restrictions and border closures etc other than mass hysteria!!

Currently watching the news and it says 41,000 Covid deaths but in the small print below states  (deaths from any cause within 28 day's of a covid diagnosis)!

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Currently watching the news and it says 41,000 Covid deaths but in the small print below states  (deaths from any cause within 28 day's of a covid diagnosis)!

Nearly 100% of deaths had serious underlying health issues including all the Isle of Man deaths 

Its bizarre.

I’ve recently been across. It was OK. People were generally just going about their business, masked up. Blackpool was however rammed, as were beer gardens around the fylde and Wyre areas. Supermarket distancing was fine, shopping was easy and we just kept out of the busy places. You couldn’t have put on the food and drink festival, but a mass demo in central London seems OK.

No doubt that the increase in R is being caused by gatherings in a social setting from what I saw. Yes , there are more cases but it doesn’t seem to be being tracked by an equally high number of hospital admissions?

I think they need to take a step back and have a pragmatic look at the whole thing. 

The other thing is how on earth-even on environmental grounds, they are justifying two Ben sailings a day? There were a dozen cars on our outward and 18 on our inbound sailings -and not a great deal of freight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

There really has to be some open discussion on the real impact of this disease.  I have no doubt it is devastating if a vulnerable person contracts it, but here are my questions:

1. How many deaths have been attributed to CV where there is another main cause?

2. Is a 'case' correctly classified as such if there are no symptoms?

3. What are the stats for deaths from other causes and how do they compare with deaths from CV?  How are we shaping up as we go into the flu season? 

4. How many people have been denied treatment or diagnosis for other life threatening illnesses? 

6.  Has the 'dry tinder' hypothesis been considered and taken into account?

I have more, but those are the ones that come to mind when thinking about the wider reaching and longer lasting effects of the response to CV. 

As I understand it for all the above reasons "excess deaths" measure the true cost.

For example some folks may not have been able to get the treatment they needed and succumbed to their condition as a result. But, even though they did not catch the virus, it was ultimately the pandemic that caused their demise.

The UK was very lucky in that despite having the (now) seventh largest economy due to years of cuts our NHS capability was second from last in the EU. But unlike Italy and Spain for example our ICU's were not completely overwhelmed.

But that came at a cost of dropping pretty much everything else.

If they had not done that then the fatalities from contracting Covid could have been higher with an NHS overwhelmed.

This site from PHE is trying to build a comprehensive picture. This graph gives a good idea of the situation.

From 20/3/20 to 4/9/20 there were approx 270k registered deaths in England. There were 53,318 excess deaths with 93.1% where Covid was mentioned. Thats a lot of folks dying from the virus.

image.thumb.png.a1cb7e996ad58bb6d20c0c988beed8a5.png

See:

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/static-reports/mortality-surveillance/excess-mortality-in-england-latest.html

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Its bizarre.

I’ve recently been across. It was OK. People were generally just going about their business, masked up. Blackpool was however rammed, as were beer gardens around the fylde and Wyre areas. Supermarket distancing was fine, shopping was easy and we just kept out of the busy places. You couldn’t have put on the food and drink festival, but a mass demo in central London seems OK.

No doubt that the increase in R is being caused by gatherings in a social setting from what I saw. Yes , there are more cases but it doesn’t seem to be being tracked by an equally high number of hospital admissions?

I think they need to take a step back and have a pragmatic look at the whole thing. 

The other thing is how on earth-even on environmental grounds, they are justifying two Ben sailings a day? There were a dozen cars on our outward and 18 on our inbound sailings -and not a great deal of freight.

So how is self-isolation?

10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Its bizarre.

Good to here, going over next week. So no need to book premium lounge seats to get space?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Its bizarre.

It isn’t for the cars Derek, it is for the freight. You know that thing that keeps the SPCo afloat ?

Tesco alone must be laying £10,000 each day for trailers.

Edited by dilligaf