IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Did you read that article I linked for you yesterday? 

Yes, I did.  The point of the i article was that if Covid was mentioned at all, not necessarily as the direct cause, it was logged as a Covid death.  Most likely, in the early stages of the pandemic this was necessary to gather as much information  as possible about infection and death, not to massage figures I am sure.

Also, when the elderly die, if they are in the last stages of life, the doctor will give an end of life certificate to the home giving the likely direct  and secondary causes of the impending death, which means that when the person passes away there is no requirement for the death to be confirmed by a doctor or a post mortem performed before the body is released to an undertaker. 

Wrighty may be able to confirm the actual process, but that is my experience.

Thanks PK.  The point of the article was not how deaths were certified but how they were counted in the statistics.  A mention of Covid on the certificate and it was logged as a Covid death.  It is only recently that deaths attributed to Covid have been given a 28 day of diagnosis limit. 

Also  as I said above, there is no requirement for a post mortem to determine the actual cause of death in the elderly in the final stages of life.  

24 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

In the UK tobacco kills over 300 people a day. That’s 13 people an hour. Waiting for government to protect people from that too by putting 1/3 of the working population on the dole. 

Smoking related deaths are nothing short of suicide. You can’t transmit that  to other innocent folk.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Was it 12 died today all elderly but let’s shut everything down and stop families meeting and put another 1m on the dole!!

@Banker

Today Sir Patrick Vallance and CMO Chris Whitty produced the slides that those who make a point of keeping themselves properly informed were expecting.

If the UK populace do not start doing things differently we are on course for having 50k new Covid cases per day by mid-October.

They believe this will equate to 200 deaths per day by mid-November.

But hey, you can make yourself look as stupid as you like....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/21/uk-could-have-50000-covid-cases-a-day-by-mid-october-says-chief-medical-officer-chris-whitty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Smoking related deaths are nothing short of suicide. You can’t transmit that  to other innocent folk.

Of course you can. If government is so concerned about protecting people from death it should ban cigarettes forthwith. It’s so concerned about less deaths from covid that it’s put millions of people on the dole. 

4 hours ago, P.K. said:

The day after we got back we had a call at 19:52 to make sure we were self-isolating.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was that....

My daughter had similar - a single call to make sure she understood she had to isolate and what that meant. 

For 99% of people that’s surely enough. I don’t think checking up on people every day is necessary. The small proportion of folk who are going to flout the rules will do so anyway. You have to trust people to do the right thing, as long as they know what that is. The problem in the UK right now is that people don’t have a clue. 

40 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

In the UK tobacco kills over 300 people a day. That’s 13 people an hour. Waiting for government to protect people from that too by putting 1/3 of the working population on the dole. 

You've just plagarised that from twitter, either that or it's you all over that forum too. Is it angst or too much lager..?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

You've just plagarised that from twitter, either that or it's you all over that forum too. Is it angst or too much lager..?

I haven’t plagiarized it from anywhere. No need to be so angry. I googled illnesses which have more deaths per population than covid to see what they were. Smoking came up. You’re starting to sound as angry and confrontational as dilli ;) Other people have opinions too. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Sad 1