IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@Banker

Today Sir Patrick Vallance and CMO Chris Whitty produced the slides that those who make a point of keeping themselves properly informed were expecting.

If the UK populace do not start doing things differently we are on course for having 50k new Covid cases per day by mid-October.

They believe this will equate to 200 deaths per day by mid-November.

But hey, you can make yourself look as stupid as you like....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/21/uk-could-have-50000-covid-cases-a-day-by-mid-october-says-chief-medical-officer-chris-whitty

The first 50000 slide was blatant nudge politics designed to pave the way for further restrictions. They were at pains to say it was not a prediction, but with no bold text caveats on the slide, it was obviously going to grab the attention casual observer and also the tabloid press who will use the graphic in their publications and seems to be the main take away from the presentation. Manipulating the public is not a good look for ‘trusted’ advisors.

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I haven’t plagiarized it from anywhere. No need to be so angry. I googled illnesses which have more deaths per population than covid. Smoking came up. You’re starting to sound as angry as dilli ;) 

Who's fucking angry? I mean, this is your go-to retort whenever anyone questions your incessant repetitive bullshit. You come out with the same waffle all day long using different words. How you manage to be here and there all day long is beyond me, have you actually got a job? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, quilp said:

Who's fucking angry? I mean, this is your go-to retort whenever anyone questions your incessant repetitive bullshit. You come out with the same waffle all day long using different words. How you manage to be here and there all day long is beyond me, have you actually got a job? 

You really sound quite furious and sweary now to be honest..I haven't been on here all day long. I made a few posts in my lunchtime and then a few again this evening. No need to be so angry at people for just expressing their views. All views are valid but looks like the covid tides are now turning and many now have had enough of the whole thing as none of the scaremongering has panned out as “predicted” 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

My daughter had similar - a single call to make sure she understood she had to isolate and what that meant. 

For 99% of people that’s surely enough. I don’t think checking up on people every day is necessary. The small proportion of folk who are going to flout the rules will do so anyway. You have to trust people to do the right thing, as long as they know what that is. The problem in the UK right now is that people don’t have a clue. 

You would certainly hope that those arriving knew what they were getting into.

People in the UK don't have a clue because of all the mixed messages and different degrees of lockdown. Plus Dominic Cummings didn't exactly help by leading from the rear....

But when you want to get your point across KISS wins every time.

I understand that Bozo has deigned to attend a COBRA meeting. Let's see how he gets the message across tomorrow. Preferably without the idiotic optimism and feeble attempts to make light of it...

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I can't believe I'm even bothering.

Don’t put yourself out on my account. I think there is a good analogy with tobacco deaths if killing the economy is apparently the only way to stop (less) people dying in this case. Of course I respect that you disagree. 

10 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

The first 50000 slide was blatant nudge politics designed to pave the way for further restrictions. They were at pains to say it was not a prediction, but with no bold text caveats on the slide, it was obviously going to grab the attention casual observer and also the tabloid press who will use the graphic in their publications and seems to be the main take away from the presentation. Manipulating the public is not a good look for ‘trusted’ advisors.

Alternatively they could just be doing what they've tried to do right through this which is tell it like it is.

Presumably that's why they did the honours "unsupported" by a politician.

Maybe you missed the import of that...?

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

In the UK tobacco kills over 300 people a day. That’s 13 people an hour. Waiting for government to protect people from that too by putting 1/3 of the working population on the dole. 

What? Government wouldn't dream of banning it. At least smokers pay for an early demise. Proper poor analogy...

20200921_234020.jpg

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

What? Government wouldn't dream of banning it. At least smokers pay for an early demise. Proper poor analogy...

20200921_234020.jpg

It’s not really a poor analogy. The UK has just acquired a national debt figure higher than its annual GDP for the first time since 1960 so we’re paying for all these none covid deaths through huge debt accumulation and mass unemployment. Yet bizarrely despite being so concerned that people shouldn’t die we still sell fags at a profit to people so that more people can kill themselves a year from smoking related cancers and heart disease than will ever die of covid. I think that’s quite a good analogy really. 

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

Alternatively they could just be doing what they've tried to do right through this which is tell it like it is.

Presumably that's why they did the honours "unsupported" by a politician.

Maybe you missed the import of that...?

Possibly, but I don’t think so. There appear to be several epidemiologist’s who are contesting the 50000 figures this morning, who instead think 10000 is more likely. Whatever the number I personally still think it was it was a cynical attempt to justify the coming restrictions. I lost any faith in Boris and his second rate brexit cabinet early on in this mess, Whitty and Co will be damned by association.

• Sad 1