IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m guessing none. Maybe IOM Government will pay for them all to find alternative digs over Christmas when the Uni dormitories close and when the private landlords have breaks factored into their rent so that they don’t have to come home, to their families, who are Manx? Otherwise what the hell do people expect Manx students to do at Christmas? They don’t live full time in the UK and neither is their accommodation available for them on a full time basis in most cases either. 

which is going to make for an interesting situation

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m guessing none. Maybe IOM Government will pay fir them all to find alternative digs over Christmas when the dormitories close and when the private landlords have breaks factors into their rent so they don’t have to come home, to their families, who are Manx? Otherwise what the hell do you expect Manx students to do?  

The University college I was in never closed at Christmas. What would all the students from abroad have done? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

which is going to make for an interesting situation

Yes it is. But remember most are all locals who have lives and families here and therefore they need to be treated sensibility and fairly. If the IOM is going to turn them away that’s going to be a great big “fuck you” to many Manx families and many Manx kids who will be (or should be most certainly) an integral part of the economic drive needed to get us out of this mess a few years from now. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

17 minutes ago, pongo said:

The University college I was in never closed at Christmas. What would all the students from abroad have done? 

All of the students in my house share went home for christmas, including me. There is no way I would spend christmas in my student hovel on my own. I would not expect any other student to stay away either. We will just have to suck up the results, life goes on.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes it is. But remember most are all locals who have lives and families here and therefore they need to be treated sensibility and fairly. If the IOM is going to turn them away that’s going to be a great big “fuck you” to many Manx families and many Manx kids who will be (or should be most certainly) an integral part of the economic drive needed to get us out of this mess a few years from now. 

How can you be so relentlessly negative in every fucking post. Cheer up a bit you miserable prick, you're not in England.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

All of the students in my house share went home for christmas, including me. There is no way I would spend christmas in my student hovel on my own. I would not expect any other student to stay away either. We will just have to suck up the results, life goes on.

Exactly, Allinson has already said he will ensure Manx Students get home in the event of any lockdown and no one will be stopped from returning home . 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

How can you be so relentlessly negative in every fucking post. Cheer up a bit you miserable prick, you're not in England.

Thanks for your constructive feedback on what I should and should not be able to post on an unedited forum which is allegedly for the purpose of debating. If people don’t want students to come back my point was that they are Manx and they should be allowed to come back for several reasons. Not least that many won’t have options to stay in the UK over the holiday period. The day that we start treating our own as basically unclean and unfit to return (if that is what some posters were suggesting) is the day the IOM has totally lost it IMHO. 

Not many student accommodation providers these days offer an off term reduction/suspension of the rent due. \come home for the summer? Pay the rent!!!!!

Pongo, with the concentration of 'online' lectures this year, there is not the same opportunity to continue to receive 'online' tutorials than there might have been in previous  times? End of term, end of lectures?

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The day that we start treating our own as basically unclean and unfit to return (if that is what some posters are suggesting) is the day the IOM has totally lost it IMHO. 

Very strawmannish angle that. Equally, the day that we started doing any number of other daft things nobody has suggested but could.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, pongo said:

Very strawmannish angle that. Equally, the day that we started doing any number of other daft things nobody has suggested but could.

It looked to me like some people were suggesting that scenario above so I thought I would ask the question. If that is proposed on grounds of irrational fear then it would be unacceptable on many levels I’d say. As well as cause for government funding of the increased accommodation costs. 

We've become so used to our Kids not returning to the Island with their Uni skills to a lack of job opportunities that we presume that this prevail. OK, we may end up with a lot of over-qualified school teachers but but it at least it adds to the educated pool of employees to our economy? Could allow an expansion of job opportunities in new industries for companies to start over here?

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

We've become so used to our Kids not returning to the Island with their Uni skills to a lack of job opportunities that we presume that this prevail. OK, we may end up with a lot of over-qualified school teachers but but it at least it adds to the educated pool of employees to our economy? Could allow an expansion of job opportunities in new industries for companies to start over here?

Really ?