IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

It is amazing how easily people are willing to use this misleading data. Even the data I used is largely meaningless because it doesn't span over 12 months. But it does paint a rather different picture than the 1% figure.

If you already think it is a hoax, or wildly overblown you will always cherry pick 'data' to suit your argument, but equally if you think it is the absolute worst thing ever you could probably selectively back that up too. One of the reasons I quite like the ons reports is because they are written in a very neutral style. There was a guy from there used to pop up on the bbc who would talk though each report during the 1st lockdown who was very efficient at that too. Strangely not seen him for a while...

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

By the percentsge of deaths from each disease.

Surely it's more nuanced than that?

However Covid is still something of an unknown because of seasonal variation and hard to believe we have only had six full months worth of the virus. I guess we'll know the end of Feb how bad it can be.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Surely it's more nuanced than that?

However Covid is still something of an unknown because of seasonal variation and hard to believe we have only had six full months worth of the virus. I guess we'll know the end of Feb how bad it can be.

Was the COVID-19 a man made virus in China,? , and as China now says we are reducing our greenhouse gasses, is there any connection between the two, as in give the world some good news, ( and hide the bad news )  ?

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

No vaccine is 100% effective - that's where herd immunity actually does come in.  If 95% of people are protected, then the other 5%  will (nearly all) be protected because there's no one to pass it on to them.  But any vaccine with a reasonable efficacy will be the easiest way of reducing the spread of the virus.

That may well have to be the case with Covid-19 because it looks increasingly if reinfections are happening quite a lot and not always with the second time being milder than the first, which I hoped would be the case.  But it may be that vaccines will work slightly differently and turn out to be longer lasting.

If there’s only been 11 reinfections from 31 million known cases I don’t think we need to be too worried. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Was the COVID-19 a man made virus in China,? , and as China now says we are reducing our greenhouse gasses, is there any connection between the two, as in give the world some good news, ( and hide the bad news )  ?

Doesn’t really matter if you believe Trump and it’s man made or most scientists who say not, it’s here to stay until vaccine available.

therefore we all have to find a way to work through it without ruining the economies forever and without massive excess deaths 

16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

If there’s only been 11 reinfections from 31 million known cases I don’t think we need to be too worried. 

But most wouldn't be getting picked up.  The only ones that will be verified at the moment are those when it has been noticed, checked and the sequences shows that different lines were involved (so it's not just the same thing flaring up again by some mechanism).  And of course you'd expect there have to be some time between the infections, so you would only start to see them now - all those cases are in the last month.

Hopefully it won't be a big problem and the cases where it has been worse the second time around are a minority, but it's still a thing to keep an eye on.

Jersey still to have a single hospital admission since opening 3rd July. 111,000 tests completed.

Yes, there are compromises for what is in effect a very good system of allowing people into their Island.

We are going to need to find a compromise soon.

I‘m sure we can expect news on this tomorrow.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Would you please explain what you mean?

Everyone has a direct interest in how this pandemic is handled,  be it through their health, ability to continue to earn, limitations on their freedom and so on.  It is not a spectator sport, it is something that everyone is partipating in and has implications for all.  Not a difficult concept. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I've gotta back Banker up on this. Even though I have lived here many years I do have two daughters and a son, two step daughters, two sisters and their children. Two aunties, 1 uncle (slightly dodgy) and numerous cousins that live all over England and Wales in different parts. Not one of them has had the illness and not one of their relatives or friends have contracted it either and with only one exception, none of them know of anyone who has contracted/tested positive. 

As a comparison many people do they know who are unemployed or on furlough? 

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

When it represents a greater risk to life than  most other causes of death. 

Obviously, as I am sure you will agree on reflection, it would be dense to only consider whether or not it actually kills. One would also want to take into account how unpleasant it can be even when it doesn't kill.

And how easy it is to catch, vs many other conditions some of which also kill. The impact of a thing is not only about whether it kills.

39 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Everyone has a direct interest in how this pandemic is handled,  be it through their health, ability to continue to earn, limitations on their freedom and so on.  It is not a spectator sport, it is something that everyone is partipating in and has implications for all.  Not a difficult concept. 

The "freedoms" argument is nearly always pretty bogus  IMO. And populists whining about freedoms is a pretty new thing. It's also very subjective - what we consider to be restrictions of our freedom.

The covid rules in Britain totally make sense to me. But it seems utterly daft that I am not free to grow a weed if I want to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I've gotta back Banker up on this. Even though I have lived here many years I do have two daughters and a son, two step daughters, two sisters and their children. Two aunties, 1 uncle (slightly dodgy) and numerous cousins that live all over England and Wales in different parts. Not one of them has had the illness and not one of their relatives or friends have contracted it either and with only one exception, none of them know of anyone who has contracted/tested positive. 

From antibody studies only approx 8% of the UK have had Covid19 so it's not surprising that people don't know anyone who has had it since 92% of the UK is Covid19 free. That will change with this next wave if people don't take it seriously. Unfortunately there are a lot of vested interests pushing some very dodgy agendas to stop people taking it seriously. Have a read of this well researched piece.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

As you say the concept's easy peasy.

The balance between vested interests, personal freedoms, levels of risk, levels of resources, what's morally acceptable etc etc is the tricky bit!

So what did you think of the "1%" statement on Newsnight?

31 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

From antibody studies only approx 8% of the UK have had Covid19 so it's not surprising that people don't know anyone who has had it since 92% of the UK is Covid19 free. That will change with this next wave if people don't take it seriously. Unfortunately there are a lot of vested interests pushing some very dodgy agendas to stop people taking it seriously. Have a read of this well researched piece.

Good article. I hope others read it, although many won't like it. Glad to see 'professor' Sikora getting a mention, he'll say anything for the right fee.

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

As a comparison many people do they know who are unemployed or on furlough? 

Family in Dorset don’t know anyone who has had virus either but low total numbers there, however one family member on furlough and they have friends who have lost jobs.