IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I've gotta back Banker up on this. Even though I have lived here many years I do have two daughters and a son, two step daughters, two sisters and their children. Two aunties, 1 uncle (slightly dodgy) and numerous cousins that live all over England and Wales in different parts. Not one of them has had the illness and not one of their relatives or friends have contracted it either and with only one exception, none of them know of anyone who has contracted/tested positive. 

I’ve less than six relatives I know of in the U.K.  One of them, a recently retired GP, has had long COVID for around 150 days. Does either anecdote prove anything?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

As you say the concept's easy peasy.

The balance between vested interests, personal freedoms, levels of risk, levels of resources, what's morally acceptable etc etc is the tricky bit!

So what did you think of the "1%" statement on Newsnight?

I have already said what I think - it is a worrying statistic when viewed against the measures.

Mind you, the lock down was imposed when the experts said that cases would be a million and Prof John Newton advised that lock down was the only option, hence track and trace was abandoned. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have already said what I think - it is a worrying statistic when viewed against the measures.

It's a selective statistic that is virtually meaningless, apart from to show that the UK had a real chance to get on top of things and blew it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

From antibody studies only approx 8% of the UK have had Covid19 so it's not surprising that people don't know anyone who has had it since 92% of the UK is Covid19 free. That will change with this next wave if people don't take it seriously. Unfortunately there are a lot of vested interests pushing some very dodgy agendas to stop people taking it seriously. Have a read of this well researched piece.

This article is revealing. Thanks for putting it up.

It should be read by all the 'experts' on here, but typically, it won't be.

Has Boris read it..?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm not a Covid True Believer, and Whitty and Vallance cheerfully pulling figures out of their arses really pisses me off. But it's a real thing and- controversially- I think the Manx government have actually done a good job in the circumstances. The border is shut because the UK is run by morons.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

This article is revealing. Thanks for putting it up.

It should be read by all the 'experts' on here, but typically, it won't be.

Or they might read it, decide it doesn't fit into their worldview, ignore it and carry on asking the same questions, because its all a hoax innit. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

IBut it's a real thing and- controversially- I think the Manx government have actually done a good job in the circumstances. The border is shut because the UK is run by morons.

I don't disagree but the border isn’t shut. It isn’t even policed effectively. There are hundreds of people coming here a week if you have your eyes open and don't believe the repeated borders closed mantra. And few of them seem to be being checked up upon at all. For anything.

Don't stop believing 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Or they might read it, decide it doesn't fit into their worldview, ignore it and carry on asking the same questions, because its all a hoax innit. 

I have read it.  I don't  believe CV is a hoax, I do believe that the way information is provided follows an agenda.  I also believe that the measures have the potential for great long  lasting harm.

To be honest, I think the agenda is as simple as goverments getting themselves on a hook that they cannot get themselves off without being accused of recklessness, or murder.  Even on MR, people were saying they would consider that our government would be guilty of murder if anyone else dies after relaxation of the CV measures. Not a great platform for your election chances. 

I also know of people who had voluntarily put themselves into isolation during lock down, but have now taken a holiday abroad.  They will self-isolate, but it does seem that there is a somewhat flexible approach to their perception of the risk to them, ie as long as it doesn't  interfere with holiday plans then they will tolerate anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I don't disagree but the border isn’t shut. It isn’t even policed effectively. There are hundreds of people coming here a week if you have your eyes open and don't believe the repeated borders closed mantra. And few of them seem to be being checked up upon at all. For anything.

Don't stop believing 

Leaving the arguments aside, that is one hell of a song. Always loved it

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It isn’t closed. Believe that if it makes you feel “safe” but it isn’t closed. 

It’s nowhere near closed. This is where Government let themselves down with their half arsed action. The whole self isolate is a shambles but they’ll have you believe it’s working

• Like 1