IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The way Covid is going, across, they are now well over the rate of infection that should be sending us back into full closure.

The other worry is that having sent a load of students to universities, what did they all do? Have freshers' parties of course. Tantamount to having Covid parties - and they're all getting/spreading infection.

Well we’ve guaranteed that students can return if they wish, also a level 3a by Xmas but no details, probably to allow teachers, health workers to be able to travel back

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Hardly a surprise there. Only our government would assume CV doesn't attach itself to our "key workers"

No changes to that policy though , however I’m not sure what it is for key workers. Is it you can come & work without any quarantine period but not socialize but just stay in hotel rooms?

if so it seems more of a risk than just testing everyone 

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well we’ve guaranteed that students can return if they wish, also a level 3a by Xmas but no details, probably to allow teachers, health workers to be able to travel back

Not quite:

24/09/2020 16:18

Turning to journalist's questions.

Manx Radio

On the upcoming holiday season, the chief minister hopes to move to level 3A by Christmas, should the UK situation allow it.

(my bold).  It will be difficult to justify such a move if the level of Covid-19 is higher by then than it was say in August.  Not for the first time I think you're letting your hopes run away with you.

The idea about encouraging students to come back is sensible, but I'm slightly worried about the rather lackadaisical approach to household isolation.  While not following the "isolate everyone on symptoms" approach is sensible (like so much UK policy it's more about blaming the public than best practice) I can't help feeling that assuming returning students can isolate within a household assumes that everyone lives in big houses in the country.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

No changes to that policy though , however I’m not sure what it is for key workers. Is it you can come & work without any quarantine period but not socialize but just stay in hotel rooms?

I think it probably varies between workers or groups of workers, but that seems to be the general idea.  There are also restrictions regarding how people work as well.  The details in each case will be what is important and how closely they are monitored.

It probably isn't "more of a risk than just testing everyone"  because there actually aren't that many keyworkers at any time -  a lot of the permits are for transport workers or for staff members who might visit only occasionally without coming into immediate contact with locals.  Though the way that two have now tested positive (presumably after showing symptoms) hints at how high prevalence is. 

On the other hand if you rely on testing of a lot of people, because tests aren't going to pick up everyone infected and because there's a lot of people getting tested, the chances of someone getting through are quite high.

25 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=57994&headline=Jail for breaking isolation rules&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

4 weeks for getting petrol on the way home from the boat - there must be more to this case than that surely?

"You can drive home but you will not be able to stop anywhere"  https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/isle-of-man-resident-registration/

Seems reasonably clear to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

The way Covid is going, across, they are now well over the rate of infection that should be sending us back into full closure.

The other worry is that having sent a load of students to universities, what did they all do? Have freshers' parties of course. Tantamount to having Covid parties - and they're all getting/spreading infection.

God forbid they enjoy their student life.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1