IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

We don't even want our young back at Christmas because of the loons - who would want to eventually return to an island and participate in growing its economy at the end of all this if you got a great big resounding “piss off and stay away” message from your homeland when you needed it most? The whole island is just showing how sad and insular most of its residents are. 

All the residents are insular

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Reporting headlines in various papers and not the only one on here who agrees.

Er that's exactly what the Teapot was complaining about - that you were "reporting headlines" (and your interpretation of them at that) rather than what the articles actual said.  You're falling in the trap that inattentive readers are meant to - as was discussed above.

More importantly you're believing the line that these deaths are somehow caused by lockdown.  They weren't and couldn't be because lockdown never applied to those needing medical treatment either in hospital or outside.  Some of these excess deaths will from undiagnosed Covid, especially in February and March, but those from other causes are also the result of the pandemic, not of the measures that were taken to stop it.

I can’t believe anybody is not looking at the situation across & around the globe and not thinking we are only delaying the inevitable.

We should be implementing policy & procedures right now to protect our elderly & vulnerable, utilising an efficient track & trace system & testing at the border.

We are sleep walking our way into one massive cluster****.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They weren't and couldn't be because lockdown never applied to those needing medical treatment either in hospital or outside. 

Maybe not the intention, but it’s a fact that some people didn’t go to hospital when they should for fear of covid, and that many elective operations and clinic appointments were postponed leading to worsening of various conditions. I could give you plenty of anecdotal evidence of that over here, and the situation in the uk is far worse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Banker said:

Looks like population is still falling with just old duffers increasing which will only increase as IOM economy shrinking with fewer opportunities for the young.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=57985&headline=Population falls again but number of over-65s rises&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

I don't really think the figures prove anything.  Cabinet Office estimates are fairly uncertain and it's showing a loss of only 60 residents during a quarter when people were literally unable to move to the Island.  I suspect they've taken a quarter of the natural population decline from 2019 (when it was 140 - so a drop of 35) plus the 24 Covid deaths.  Because of the quarter it is (Apr-Jun inc 2020) it's about as meaningless as it can get.

Paul Craine's right to point to importance of the Census next year (and getting things right this time) and I would hope the Cabinet Office are looking at other things that will tell us about population changes in the meantime, but this can tell us nothing.

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't really think the figures prove anything.  Cabinet Office estimates are fairly uncertain and it's showing a loss of only 60 residents during a quarter when people were literally unable to move to the Island.  I suspect they've taken a quarter of the natural population decline from 2019 (when it was 140 - so a drop of 35) plus the 24 Covid deaths.  Because of the quarter it is (Apr-Jun inc 2020) it's about as meaningless as it can get.

Paul Craine's right to point to importance of the Census next year (and getting things right this time) and I would hope the Cabinet Office are looking at other things that will tell us about population changes in the meantime, but this can tell us nothing.

Well if you live in Isle of Man you will know that many young qualified residents are leaving or not returning including my sons in last 12 months. There’s just not the opportunities unless you want to work in egaming or finance with the latter declining then it’s difficult.plus the nightlife is limited.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Maybe not the intention, but it’s a fact that some people didn’t go to hospital when they should for fear of covid, and that many elective operations and clinic appointments were postponed leading to worsening of various conditions. I could give you plenty of anecdotal evidence of that over here, and the situation in the uk is far worse. 

That's a slightly different thing though.  That wasn't caused by lockdown in fact an earlier lockdown might have reduced the pressures.  Some of the avoidance would have been rational, especially in the earlier months, but I think the messaging about still seeking medical attention was not pushed hard enough here, and people could have been reassured more about how, for example, the services at Nobles had been split to separate the Covid patients.  In the UK of course not only were the pressures on hospitals in many places much greater, but the messages confused and contradictory and filtered through a media more concerned with its own agendas than on informing the public.

As to the postponement of procedures, some of the fallout from that was inevitable, but again the result of the pandemic not the measures taken against it.  The important thing was always to try to get back to normal as soon as possible.

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's a slightly different thing though.  That wasn't caused by lockdown in fact an earlier lockdown might have reduced the pressures.  Some of the avoidance would have been rational, especially in the earlier months, but I think the messaging about still seeking medical attention was not pushed hard enough here, and people could have been reassured more about how, for example, the services at Nobles had been split to separate the Covid patients. 

With respect I think Wrighty is right. People will have opposing views but he’s seeing it at the frontline and happy to call it for what it is. I have a friend in the UK who has had a bad cancer prognosis in the last 6 weeks. Didn’t go to the GP for months because “Well covid is the priority and it can wait until things return to normal”. Turns out he has bowel cancer and should have had his symptoms checked months ago because now it’s taken hold. Amazing that someone who was crapping blood for months on end thought that was infinitely less concerning that potentially catching a virus that (at 45) probably won’t have killed him as I think as it stands only about 320 people under 65 have died in the UK so far out of 65M people. The whole thing is complete nonsense. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

With respect I think Wrighty is right. People will have opposing views but he’s seeing it at the frontline and happy to call it for what it is. I have a friend in the UK who has had a bad cancer prognosis in the last 6 weeks. Didn’t go to the GP months because “Well covid is the priority and it can wait until things return to normal”. Turns out he has bowel cancer and should have had his symptoms checked months ago because now it’s taken hold. Amazing that someone who was crapping blood for months on end thought that was infinitely less concerning that potentially catching a virus that (at 45) probably won’t have killed him as I think as it stands only about 320 people under 65 have died in the UK so far out of 65M people. 

Where did you read that. ?

I don't think theres any doubt a long messy lockdown has all kinds of negative effects. Even a short half decent one does. Doctors were warning right from the start of those kind of worries, especially missed cancer diagnoses. That's why it was a one shot deal, and you had to get it right. 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2