IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

With respect I think Wrighty is right. People will have opposing views but he’s seeing it at the frontline and happy to call it for what it is. I have a friend in the UK who has had a bad cancer prognosis in the last 6 weeks. Didn’t go to the GP for months because “Well covid is the priority and it can wait until things return to normal”. Turns out he has bowel cancer and should have had his symptoms checked months ago because now it’s taken hold. Amazing that someone who was crapping blood for months on end thought that was infinitely less concerning that potentially catching a virus that (at 45) probably won’t have killed him as I think as it stands only about 320 people under 65 have died in the UK so far out of 65M people. The whole thing is complete nonsense. 

But that's exactly what I meant by poor messaging.  That's not down to the measures taken against Covid but about how people in the UK weren't being encouraged to continue to use the health service for things that might be urgent, even if initially that might mean slightly different procedures (eg phone/video consultations).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But that's exactly what I meant by poor messaging.  That's not down to the measures taken against Covid but about how people in the UK weren't being encouraged to continue to use the health service for things that might be urgent, even if initially that might mean slightly different procedures (eg phone/video consultations).

It’s down to psychological priming & programming by the media and government which makes people believe that anything they might have is entirely secondary to the risk they have of dying from Covid (ie, lies). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s down to psychological priming & programming by the media and government which makes people believe that anything they might have is entirely secondary to the risk they have of dying from Covid (ie, lies). 

You sound like PGW. Jesus H

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It is directly due to the measures - they weren't "being encouraged" because the aim was to protect the health service so it could cope with.  Routine treatment had been abandoned.  

I had the dubious pleasure of receiving the routine letter regarding bowel cancer screening in February this year. By the time of my 60th birthday in mid March, I then received a letter to say the testing was not to proceed as the testing lab in the UK was not taking samples due to covid.  I eventually got the test kit a month ago, almost 5 months after.  All clear, but who else celebrating their 60th this year have also had the bad news that they have bowel cancer?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m not biting. Honestly you need to calm down. There is no need to get so bent out of shape. It’s embarrassing :flowers: 

Then why post so many  emojis with the confused symbol then ? You don't change, do you. You did the same to  Neil Down a while back.

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Then why post so many  emojis with the confused symbol then ? You don't change, do you. You did the same to  Neil Down a while back.

Firstly I’m not sure I have done that at all. Secondly hissingsid seems to post confused faces at every single one of my posts but I don’t go into a total meltdown about it, I just totally ignore it. And thirdly I’m not exactly sure what any response I may or may not give to neil down has to do with any of your current insecurities. Is he the George to your Lennie? As I said above I have no intention of biting to your constant attempts at provocation. Please just accept that this forum isnt a competition. It’s a platform where people exchange views. Some of those views you won’t agree with. That’s life. Chill  :flowers:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I will give you another example.  I have a genetic condition which means my body stores too much iron.  The effect is catastrophic damage to organs such as heart, pancreas and liver, often leading to premature death.  This is treated by frequent blood removal, or venesection, of 500ml until the ferritin levels reduce and then periodic venesections to keep the levels safe.  When I was first diagnosed, that meant weekly venesections.  My levels are such that I have venesection every couple of months.  My treatment has not been altered during lockdown, although I did have a  "just in case" venesection at the start of lockdown in case that service would be suspended.

However  I am a member of a FB support group for this illness and the number of non-IOM members who have not had this vital treatment, or had just been diagnosed and were concerned was staggering.  It is a devastating condition that is relatively easily treated, but there seems to be no treatment in the UK, so wait for that backlog to surface. 

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's a slightly different thing though.  That wasn't caused by lockdown in fact an earlier lockdown might have reduced the pressures.  Some of the avoidance would have been rational, especially in the earlier months, but I think the messaging about still seeking medical attention was not pushed hard enough here, and people could have been reassured more about how, for example, the services at Nobles had been split to separate the Covid patients.  In the UK of course not only were the pressures on hospitals in many places much greater, but the messages confused and contradictory and filtered through a media more concerned with its own agendas than on informing the public.

As to the postponement of procedures, some of the fallout from that was inevitable, but again the result of the pandemic not the measures taken against it.  The important thing was always to try to get back to normal as soon as possible.

In part Roger. If you consider ‘lockdown’ to be just closing pubs and queueing for Tesco then ok. But the ‘stay at home’ message did cause people to do just that. Services at hospitals may have been split, and we did our best to keep everyone there safe, but it was still riskier (in terms of getting covid) going to hospital than staying at home. 

• Like 2

More to the point, medical services were curtailed, less so here, but definitely in the UK and where our services interfaced with the UK, we have felt the impact.  I don't know how anyone can argue that that was a result of the pandemic rather than the measures taken against it is beyond me.