IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Island Games in Guernsey 2021 cancelled.

You have to wonder when our Elephant in the room will get the heave ho.

interesting shift in language the other day to "lets not write off the TT just yet..."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, P.K. said:

I don't see it as a dilemma.

The lesson from Sweden was clear. No lockdown did not result in a more favourable economic position at all. But it did mean an awful lot more fatalities compared to their Scandawegian neighbours.

The message is clear.

Prof Mark Woolhouse doesn't agree, (article in the Evening Standard where he argues that lockdown only postpones, not eradicates and the Sweden model of 'soft' measures has worked) and there was a piece in today's Sunday Telegraph by a journalist who lives in Sweden observing the 'surprisingly upbeat mood' as opposed to the 'raised tempers, blame, hysteria and sense of panic in the UK'. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Isn't our focus and comfort that the domestic economy remains open and unrestricted?

What would you call the domestic economy? A few bars & restaurants which will struggle through winter? 
already heard a few manufacturing companies are considering position as can’t get skilled staff over, difficulties with supply chain, can’t get urgent parts etc as no real plane links etc

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Sweden sick pay is 80% of your normal wage (there is an upper limit) to stay at home for up to 14 days with a mild respiratory illness with no need for a doctors note (last bit brought in for covid). UK statutory sick pay is £95 per week. Some difference. 

Yes, there are probably quite a few other factors which have helped, but the Prof's message was that we have to live with this and test, track and isolate rather than lockdown in response.  He us a member of SAGE,so I wonder how many other members agree and if their views have been ignored. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, there are probably quite a few other factors which have helped, but the Prof's message was that we have to live with this and test, track and isolate rather than lockdown in response.  He us a member of SAGE,so I wonder how many other members agree and if their views have been ignored. 

Other factors from Sweden like no large gatherings, closing secondary schools and colleges (although not primary) and having a population that broadly responded positively to being asked to try and behave responsibly. They do seem to be a lot more grown up.

The message about living with it and testing and tracing has been shouted loudly from a number of angles for some time, no one knows why the UK have failed to do anything about it. The more you into things the worse it gets too, huge amounts of money simply disappearing into bullshit schemes, mostly run by friends of the government. Even now with the release of this 'NHS' app you can see the bollocks and corruption. It's got nothing to do with the NHS at all. I don't want to turn into PK but these fuckers are criminally inept.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Other factors from Sweden like no large gatherings, closing secondary schools and colleges (although not primary) and having a population that broadly responded positively to being asked to try and behave responsibly. They do seem to be a lot more grown up.

I don't think it’s fair to just follow the herd and blame this mess just on people not behaving. It’s far from the truth as most people have behaved - but it suits the UK government to blame the public rather than admit their whole Covid plan was shit. And is still shit. 

6 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I don't think it’s fair to just follow the herd and blame this mess just on people not behaving. It’s far from the truth as most people have behaved - but it suits the UK government to blame the public rather than admit their whole Covid plan was shit. And is still shit. 

To be clear I put most of the blame on the government approach in the UK. Which you can see from the second paragraph that you have selectively edited out of your quote, to once again come to a conclusion that isn't in keeping with the post. 

Did you see Dr Fauci having a go at Senator Rand Paul the other day for purposefully misrepresenting things? Cos that's what you do. All the time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

To be clear I put most of the blame on the government approach in the UK. Which you can see from the second paragraph that you have selectively edited out of your quote, to once again come to a conclusion that isn't in keeping with the post. 

Did you see Dr Fauci having a go at Senator Rand Paul the other day for purposefully misrepresenting things? Cos that's what you do. All the time.

FFS you are obsessed with making claims of alleged edits that simply don't exist. You did exactly the same yesterday. Nobody is manipulating anything and I “liked” your post. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Prof Mark Woolhouse doesn't agree, (article in the Evening Standard where he argues that lockdown only postpones, not eradicates and the Sweden model of 'soft' measures has worked) and there was a piece in today's Sunday Telegraph by a journalist who lives in Sweden observing the 'surprisingly upbeat mood' as opposed to the 'raised tempers, blame, hysteria and sense of panic in the UK'. 

Sounds like more of the hackneyed and unproven "herd immunity" faction.

So the UK is full of 'raised tempers, blame, hysteria and sense of panic' then....?

Nice hyperbole. But frankly, in my experience, the reverse is true.

Which is something of a problem in controlling the virus...

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Just close everything. Forever.

The posters to this thread seem to have missed this: there is actually a plan to relax a bit current border restrictions. The introduction of an intermediate level 3 is symptomatic of disquiet about the current situation at government levels.

When the border closure will be assessed, I mean the overall impact of it on people livelihoods and business opportunities, there will be a day of reckoning.

480746538_Wouldyousponsorarelativetocomehere.thumb.jpg.1fd7b1f4aebb586293b09574e22f41a8.jpg

35 minutes ago, Escape Artist said:

The posters to this thread seem to have missed this: there is actually a plan to relax a bit current border restrictions. The introduction of an intermediate level 3 is symptomatic of disquiet about the current situation at government levels.

When the border closure will be assessed, I mean the overall impact of it on people livelihoods and business opportunities, there will be a day of reckoning.

Don't be under the silly illusion that the present Covid dictatorship is going to end with the current crisis.

Mandatory stay-at-home orders and border closures will be a recurrence.

Anyone with a runny nose is to be ostracised and banned.

There has been a reassessment of the risk of living.

(Fucking idiots.)

964144906_Dontspreadfluandcolds.jpg.6ae5931384d851d45144cadfc1388464.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Debbie said:

Don't be under the silly illusion that the present Covid dictatorship is going to end with the current crisis.

Mandatory stay-at-home orders and border closures will be a recurrence.

Anyone with a runny nose is to be ostracised and banned.

There has been a reassessment of the risk of living.

(Fucking idiots.)

Was talking to a friend in the UK the other day. Within 10 days of their kids school re-opening after 6 months his child was down to a class of 3 because some kid got the sniffles and all the parents bricked it and withdrew their kids from school. So it’s a class of 30 with 27 kids at home now “self isolating” at home as some kid who didn’t have coronavirus but had a runny nose was ill. It’s absolute madness. It is little short of mass hysteria in some circles. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

3 minutes ago, Debbie said:

You will own an I Phone.

You will download the ap.

You will report your health status at borders.

You will have an island passport.

Tip of the iceberg.

• Confused 1