IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Polio infections are down by some 99%. Not a bad target to aim for.

Quite.

However, at its peak in the 1940s and 1950s, polio would paralyze or kill over half a million people worldwide every year.  Smallpox and TB was also endemic - but I don't recall the planet locking-down.

The reaction to this new pathogen is symptomatic of this new-age sterile, nobody-is-allowed-to-die group-think which has become endemic - unless, of course, it's a war to beat up some middle-east dictators where hundreds of thousands can be killed but not in the backyard.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Quite.

However, at its peak in the 1940s and 1950s, polio would paralyze or kill over half a million people worldwide every year.  Smallpox and TB was also endemic - but I don't recall the planet locking-down.

The reaction to this new pathogen is symptomatic of this new-age sterile, nobody-is-allowed-to-die group-think which has become endemic - unless, of course, it's a war to beat up some middle-east dictators where hundreds of thousands can be killed but not in the backyard.

Quite brilliantly put.

Tony Blair was our own little pandemic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Quite.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Quite.

During the Spanish Flu pandemic folks sort-of shut down for exactly the same reason - speed and level of contagion.

According to someone who would know Spanish flu burnt out because it ran out of victims...

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

I have already said lockdown was probably the only option in the early stages, and I have already said test, track and isolate has to be the way to go. 

Vaccination is not the only way to go: improvements in treatment (there is research that may be indicative of an interferon failure which makes some people more susceptible, Wrighty will correct me on the science, but what this means is without interferon adequately suppressing the immune response the immune system overreacts causing the severe  symptoms), herd immunity (no matter how offensive you find it) and natural mutation of the virus.   The latter may work for or against us, but it is another unknown. 

Total eradication is not without precedent, ask those idiots in the WHO. 

As I have posted previously, which for some reason you kept banging on was dropped at lockdown, Track, Trace and Isolate was supposed to replace it.

As it would appear to be a long way from replacing anything how many infections and deaths would you be prepared to inflict on your populace before you brought in another lockdown?

Incidentally I very much doubt Covid-19 will ever be eradicated. Do you think it will?

28 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As I have posted previously, which for some reason you kept banging on was dropped at lockdown, Track, Trace and Isolate was supposed to replace it.

As it would appear to be a long way from replacing anything how many infections and deaths would you be prepared to inflict on your populace before you brought in another lockdown?

Incidentally I very much doubt Covid-19 will ever be eradicated. Do you think it will?

No, which I why we just need to get on with it!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Not entirely, we will have to learn to live with it.  I keep banging on, as you so politely put it, because of the wider damage to the populace economically and health-wise  if more sledgehammer approaches are implemented.

As I said before, the widest benefit for the least cost.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Not for stopping for petrol you twit that was for someone who was breaking quarantine multiple times to see girlfriend and go to bars etc which you conveniently forgot to mention!!

He wasn’t jailed for buying petrol. It’s not illegal to buy petrol. Or food. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

During the Spanish Flu pandemic folks sort-of shut down for exactly the same reason - speed and level of contagion.

According to someone who would know Spanish flu burnt out because it ran out of victims...

That is the thing about viruses. Its own survival instincts means it has to mutate before it kills all the hosts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Not entirely, we will have to learn to live with it.  I keep banging on, as you so politely put it, because of the wider damage to the populace economically and health-wise  if more sledgehammer approaches are implemented.

As I said before, the widest benefit for the least cost.

So please answer the question:

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Thanks.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

No, which I why we just need to get on with it!

Yes, and we kind of are getting on with it. As has been said several times, the chances of reinfection are incredibly low to nil. Several thousand people over here have had it at low levels. For months people have been arriving in the island and isolating for two weeks. A good number of those will have had it at low levels, slowly building up herd immunity without large impact on the health service. We know this because of the seven days and test. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1