IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

45 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I wonder if tge people who are pinning g their hopes on a vaccine realise it will take years to fully role out. It won't be released on the Thursday and by Friday everything is fine.

A lot if the uk forums I read people were happy to put their lives on hold for a short time so the nhs cold get ready for an onslaught. The good weather helped. Now though more people are getting fed up. The mayor of Middlesbrough has come out again st the enforced restrictions and the effect they will have on jobs mental health etc. I doubt he will be the last.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/middlesbrough-rejects-new-coronavirus-restrictions/01/10/#.X3b2usoYOD8.facebook

It's a tough one to balance. We have no restrictions on-island but the pay off is that travel to the island is heavily restricted. I think the balance is about right- and I've not seen my mum since February- as I appreciate the freedom on-island and don't want to lose it. I have family in Newcastle and Yorkshire and know how the situation is affecting them.

I think Comin have got it right, others think they're too cautious, some even think they're too lenient.

I'm glad I'm not the one making the decisions.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 2

It’s the complete lack of a plan compared to other jurisdictions that’s most concerning.

When asked when he expected family could visit he got arsey with the BBC guy as he asked same questions last time and still couldn’t answer.

the reason media are asking is because the public is asking them 

• Like 2

The plan is in the borders framework. Quayle has said they won't look at level 3 until it is 1-in-5000 in the UK but, to try and speed it up, they will split level 3 into 3a and 3b.

They can't give a date because it depends on the UK.

You may not agree with their plan, you may think they're too cautious/not cautious enough, but that's not the same thing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s the complete lack of a plan compared to other jurisdictions that’s most concerning.

That’s what concerns most people I speak to. Lack of resources too. They’ve had months to gear up to get a load of door knocker’s checking on more people and a more active focus on compliance and policing the rules and testing, tracking and tracing. But instead we’re more concerned with bringing people over to weld fucking railway lines as “key workers” and not even telling them that they shouldn’t go to Tesco’s as part of that process. It’s literally madness that the public by and large is being left to police this as there are gaps all over the place that should be being filled by people working in government having a properly resourced and detailed action plan. If that was in place more people could easily come and go. They seem to think that just doing next to nothing to ensure compliance and just chucking people in prison when shopped by nosy neighbours is effective. It isn’t. It’s almost no system at all. The number of people contacted during self isolation are tiny. They should have massively staffed up the coronavirus team months ago and been much more proactive. 

Also how hard would it have been to put a temporary Spar on board the Ben My Chree so that people could buy all this booze and food they need for 14 days self isolation on the fucking boat? They’d have made a fortune. But no we just let people get off the boat and assume they can fend for themselves - then we get surprised that someone is caught in Tesco’s buying food as they have no food in and we chuck them in prison! We really don't make it easy for ourselves. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

The plan is in the borders framework. Quayle has said they won't look at level 3 until it is 1-in-5000 in the UK but, to try and speed it up, they will split level 3 into 3a and 3b.

You may not agree with their plan, you may think they're too cautious/not cautious enough, but that's not the same thing.

Well I agree with Wrighty a respected consultant at Nobles who posted we could cope with 1/2 new cases every week and restrictions should be eased.

As usual with Howie we no nothing as to how these decisions are being arrived at and expect more questions in Keys this month 

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

@trmpton

Have you or your mum tried to get her an Entry Certificate on compassionate grounds?

If not surely worth a try.

She isn’t well enough to travel. My point about her coming here was hypothetical as it doesn’t apply in my case but does to lots of others.

Given I will likely need to go over in the not too distant future to clear her house and organise a funeral a can’t practically go away now and need more time isolating.

It’s bonkers.  Welders can come over to fix some toy train tracks but if I go away (and see practically no one apart from my mum, who see virtually no one) I have to close my business for weeks.

Thankfully Alf Cannan is talking some sense on Manx Radio at the moment re us having to learn to live with it and not being able to maintain a bubble for years.

Edited by trmpton

4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Also how hard would it have been to put a temporary Spar on board the Ben My Chree so that people could buy all this booze and food they need for 14 days self isolation on the fucking boat? They’d have made a fortune. But no we just let people get off the boat and assume they can fend for themselves - then we get surprised that someone is caught in Tesco’s buying food and we chuck them in prison! We really don't make it easy for ourselves. 

Anyone with any nous buys a bootfull of what they need in Asda before they get to the boat, as well as filling up with fuel.

They should be fully aware of the restrictions well before they get to the port.

I've got no sympathy at all with them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

But they haven’t revised that figure to take into account a total change in testing regime in the Uk.

That figure has a completely different meaning now than it did when they published that document

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Anyone with any nous buys a bootfull of what they need in Asda before they get to the boat, as well as filling up with fuel.

They should be fully aware of the restrictions well before they get to the port.

But that’s the issue. Real life says that doesn’t happen as people get delayed or plans change so what’s wrong with putting a shop in as a back up? It’s common sense. If you’re expecting people to stay inside for 14 days on arrival they need to be able to leave the boat in a position where they can. Especially as you can’t get a slot at Tescos direct even if you donate a kidney. There are loads of ways these risks should have been managed before they become an issue that someone is jailed for. Buying food or petrol should not be automatic imprisonment. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

4 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Well haven’t recently been on the boats, I can say there are absolutely no warnings whatsoever of restrictions & penalties before boarding ,on board and when you disembark.

You get ID checked when you get off so how hard is it for the ones doing the checking to remind everyone of the draconian restrictions in Iom?

The shop on board has nothing of much use unless you want magazines or perfume , chocolates etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trmpton said:

It’s bonkers.  Welders can come over to fix some toy train tracks but if I go away (and see practically no one apart from my mum, who see virtually no one) I have to close my business for weeks.

It is not just IOM rules, as it happens. There are people in parts of the UK who are similarly restricted, and cannot travel out of their own area (North Wales is a case in point). 

The quarantine system has been catching people who come in with the infection, which indicates that it would be silly to let people go straight back into their places of work.

Bear in mind that most people are arriving in the IOM having travelled from, or via, the North West, where infection rates are very high at present. Few people do not stop anywhere to shop and/or seek relief before getting on the boat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

It is not just IOM rules, as it happens. There are people in parts of the UK who are similarly restricted, and cannot travel out of their own area (North Wales is a case in point). 

The quarantine system has been catching people who come in with the infection, which indicates that it would be silly to let people go straight back into their places of work.

Bear in mind that most people are arriving in the IOM having travelled from, or via, the North West, where infection rates are very high at present. Few people do not stop anywhere to shop and/or seek relief before getting on the boat.

So when do you propose we start improving things? Are you happy to live like this for ever?

Lots of people are near to breaking point with the current arrangements and simply want to see a logical and reasoned route back to normality.

I still haven’t seen anyone explain why we shouldn’t be doing the same as places like jersey and gurnsey?

I have to admit I don’t know what Scottish islands and other island are doing but will do some research later.

• Like 1

I would really like to know if the minute number of passengers arriving on the island are properly warned about not mixing in the community and heading straight to isolation? I'll bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t that nobody bothers their ass to make it clear, when it would be so bloody easy to do so! A friend returned recently on the SPCo, no advice or anything formal was broadcast on that loudspeaker thing that always wakes you up to tell you the shop and food outlets are closing! Otherwise, people coming from the UK will think we are applying the same rules, and why wouldn't they!

If our legal system wishes to be taken seriously then we should be consistent and take the fact that we have some lazy bastards in our midst who don't bother to make anything clear! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trmpton said:

So when do you propose we start improving things? Are you happy to live like this for ever?

It won't take forever, unless people play silly buggers.

There have been a few studies into the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic (which lasted 2 years). A quote from an American source (National Geographic) says:

"The studies reached another important conclusion: That relaxing intervention measures too early could cause an otherwise stabilized city to relapse. St. Louis, for example, was so emboldened by its low death rate that the city lifted restrictions on public gatherings less than two months after the outbreak began. A rash of new cases soon followed. Of the cities that kept interventions in place, none experienced a second wave of high death rates."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

It won't take forever, unless people play silly buggers.

There have been a few studies into the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic (which lasted 2 years). A quote from an American source (National Geographic) says:

"The studies reached another important conclusion: That relaxing intervention measures too early could cause an otherwise stabilized city to relapse. St. Louis, for example, was so emboldened by its low death rate that the city lifted restrictions on public gatherings less than two months after the outbreak began. A rash of new cases soon followed. Of the cities that kept interventions in place, none experienced a second wave of high death rates."

There wasn’t exactly world wide travel in 1918 though was there and the wild population was roughly one quarter what it is now, and we have significantly better treatment and sanitation.

Not really like for like is it?

• Like 1