IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

What if you test positive? Suddenly it's two extra weeks. Which isn't really a gamble a lot of people can take.

Exactly.  I would be interested to know how many have elected for the eighth day test.  Is it three or four that have tested positive as I know one was a “key worker”.

Anyway it would be an interesting statistic as it proves a number of people coming back have it (which anyone with a brain knew anyway) and that most of them won’t have had the right day test so are walking amongst us from day 14, their immediate family are mixing with them and in society and there hasn’t been an identifiable case in the community.

Also we can like assume these people who tested On day eight had no idea they were positive.

P.K. - you know most workplaces won’t take you back inside 14 days even with the clear test.  Mainly because of the mass hysteria bought about by banging on about being “Covid free”.  Imagine being the boss somewhere that let someone back after 8 days and then a colleague got ill.  You would be sued to death.

We really need to wake up and just allow a few cases in the wild and see what happens. 

• Like 1

I arrive back on Island a week today. I’ve thought long and hard about the 7 day test. I’m not going to have it. I’ll do 14 days self isolation. I work from a home office. I’ve my own en-suite. Shopping is Tesco delivery and is booked weekly 4 weeks ahead.

Ive appointments and hearings booked week commencing 26/10.

Cant see the advantage of day 7 testing. I can see the advantage of post arrival testing if it completely ends quarantine. Not sure why we don’t have a pre arrival test option in the 72 hours before arrival. Combine with testing on day 7 or 10 after arrival?

in the last 7 weeks I’ve crossed several international borders, entering 7 countries, and I’ve had two ( negative ) pre entry tests (at €135 a pop, so £50 is very reasonable ). I’ve filled out paper and on line locator forms. There’s not been any follow up or contact. Some weren’t inspected. One wasn’t even collected.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

If your employer will let you, and if you can't work from home, it is out of your annual holiday. 

Which is fair enough.

After all, going off-island is a personal choice made by thr individual fully aware of the the possible outcomes of their actions...

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

P.K. - you know most workplaces won’t take you back inside 14 days even with the clear test.  Mainly because of the mass hysteria bought about by banging on about being “Covid free”.  Imagine being the boss somewhere that let someone back after 8 days and then a colleague got ill.  You would be sued to death.

I'm unaware of any "mass hysteria" however I am aware of the count by John Hopkins University that the virus has killed 1m people world wide.

If an employer doesn't want the nuisance / expense to provide for folks wanting to return to work after a negative 7-day test then that's their choice.

After all, they didn't force you to go off-island. 

35 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Which is fair enough.

After all, going off-island is a personal choice made by thr individual fully aware of the the possible outcomes of their actions...

Absolutely correct.  So you concede that many people aren't going off-island because they can't due to their work commitments rather than because they can't be arsed using up their elastic annual holiday allowance?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I arrive back on Island a week today. I’ve thought long and hard about the 7 day test. I’m not going to have it. I’ll do 14 days self isolation. I work from a home office. I’ve my own en-suite. Shopping is Tesco delivery and is booked weekly 4 weeks ahead.

Ive appointments and hearings booked week commencing 26/10.

Cant see the advantage of day 7 testing. I can see the advantage of post arrival testing if it completely ends quarantine. Not sure why we don’t have a pre arrival test option in the 72 hours before arrival. Combine with testing on day 7 or 10 after arrival?

in the last 7 weeks I’ve crossed several international borders, entering 7 countries, and I’ve had two ( negative ) pre entry tests (at €135 a pop, so £50 is very reasonable ). I’ve filled out paper and on line locator forms. There’s not been any follow up or contact. Some weren’t inspected. One wasn’t even collected.

Decided to have the 7 day test so we can go out walking, and some essential shopping etc

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Absolutely correct.  So you concede that many people aren't going off-island because they can't due to their work commitments rather than because they can't be arsed using up their elastic annual holiday allowance?

There will be some like that but surely the main reason many people aren't going off island is because there is little point? That's certainly why I've no interest right now, people I know are the same. I know a few retired people who spend months away at a time normally, who haven't bothered.

• Like 3

On 10/1/2020 at 4:35 PM, P.K. said:

There's nothing stopping folks on the island going across to be with family. You have to factor in at least a weeks self-isolation on your return but it's easily manageable.

You know, exactly as you just did...

Quoted just to remind you. 

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Decided to have the 7 day test so we can go out walking, and some essential shopping etc

But surely if you believe in the wisdom of the Jersey approach you should be isolating for another 7 days?  Because Liverpool is currently has Red Status on their lists, which means that 14 days isolation is mandatory:

image.png.284d129dbd691b1135670ea4db1e96cb.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Gladys said:

Unlike the "false sense of security test on entry" employed by others it seems to me the IOM regulations for returning to the island are entirely built around the characteristics of the virus.

They seem to be working as designed as well. Which is good news for everyone.

As we have discussed (to death!) unfortunately the characteristics of the virus mean for some people, like the self-employed, adding a possible three weeks off work in the event they contract the disease off-island is too much of a financial hit for them personally to risk leaving.

Of course, it was their choice to be self-employed in the first place, because it can have advantages, but brings with it issues around holidays, sickness and so forth and always has.

So it's not about "conceding" anything. It's about a common sense approach to extraordinary circumstances. Which seems to be working.

Simple as...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Quoted just to remind you. 

Why would I need reminding about a vociferous advocate of loosening border controls in the midst of a pandemic who has recently visited the UK and returned without any histrionics whatsoever...?

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There will be some like that but surely the main reason many people aren't going off island is because there is little point? That's certainly why I've no interest right now, people I know are the same. I know a few retired people who spend months away at a time normally, who haven't bothered.

Personally, I have no interest in going off island either, although I am toying with the idea of going to see my brother who can't travel due to his health, subject to any measures to protect him.  But, there again I am not a relative newcomer here with a young family who misses their family in the UK and are finding the isolation from them difficult. 

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But surely if you believe in the wisdom of the Jersey approach you should be isolating for another 7 days?  Because Liverpool is currently has Red Status on their lists, which means that 14 days isolation is mandatory:

That's more stringent than the IOM rules because the manx day of arrival counts as Day 1.

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Why would I need reminding about a vociferous advocate of loosening border controls in the midst of a pandemic who has recently visited the UK and returned without any histrionics whatsoever...?

Just reminding you that you thought off island was easily manageable, but it has been pointed out to you that for many in employment it is nigh-on impossible.