IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

With the increased testing in the UK, isn't it time for some interpretation of the results?  Originally, there would have been a high skew of postive symptomatic tests, because testing was limited to those admitted to hospital and similar high risk situations, so the predominance of positives could be expected to be higher.

With broader testing, is there anything to be learnt:-

A. About the spread in the general populace.

B. Of those, how many are symptomatic and how many have infected others.

C. Of those symptomatic, how many are requiring hospital admission.

D. Of those, how many are in ITU.

E. How many have died as a direct result of covid or have had covid as a major intervening factor in other health issues which have caused death.

F.  Of those 'recovered', how many are suffering longer term health issues caused by the disease.

It is only then that we can understand what the real likelihood and risk of contracting the disease might be.  Classic risk management duo of likelihood and impact. 

25 minutes ago, P.K. said:

If it ain't broke....

In your opinion but there are other systems and opinions I would just like to see some analysis of the Channel Islands process to establish which is best rather than stubbornly sticking to one that hasn’t been updated for 6 months 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

In your opinion but there are other systems and opinions I would just like to see some analysis of the Channel Islands process to establish which is best rather than stubbornly sticking to one that hasn’t been updated for 6 months 

What part of "Testing on arrival is not worth doing hence it has inherent risk" is it that you don't understand?

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I wonder sometimes about education. Specifically, I wonder about how people can go through life with such dreadful comprehension skills.

Amen to that...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

What part of "Testing on arrival is not worth doing hence it has inherent risk" is it that you don't understand?

Amen to that...

Did I say anything about testing on arrival I said I would like to see an analysis done on Channel Islands system to establish which is best rather than sticking to one where hasn’t been updated for 6 months.

please accept other opinions without trolling again.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I wonder sometimes about education. Specifically, I wonder about how people can go through life with such dreadful comprehension skills.

So what specifically qualifies you to comment from an education point of view when you object so much to the posts of others? A degree in marine biology and reading every world-o-meter report and fake covid stat you can get your hands on via Google? Seriously 😅 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

The Channel Islands have different systems. 

Guernsey's is very similar to our own, and they allow people a very similar amount of freedom.

Jersey's allows more incomers, so that they can take advantage of tourists, but they lose out on the freedoms, and they are likely to have to wear face masks in public places soon.

I know which one I would prefer to live with.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

So what specifically qualifies you to comment from an education point of view when you object so much to the posts of others? A degree in marine biology and reading every world-o-meter report and fake covid stat you can get your hands on via Google? Seriously 😅 

You should lay off the coke chief

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Banker said:

Did I say anything about testing on arrival I said I would like to see an analysis done on Channel Islands system to establish which is best rather than sticking to one where hasn’t been updated for 6 months.

So how is your analysis of the CI systems progressing?

43 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Guernsey's is very similar to our own, and they allow people a very similar amount of freedom.

Jersey's allows more incomers, so that they can take advantage of tourists, but they lose out on the freedoms, and they are likely to have to wear face masks in public places soon.

The big difference with Guernsey is that they allow UK residents in and they are investing a lot on money on their next phase of testing on arrival as they realize this virus is here to stay and borders can’t stay closed permanently.

when they go to next phase I would assume that will be end of direct flights there as the pitchfork brigade like PK will be in trolling overdrive.

Guernsey may be allowing UK residents in, but only if they self isolate for 14 days. Not many people will be taking them up on that.

All persons arriving in to The Islands of Guernsey ('the Bailiwick') from anywhere in the world (with the exception of the Isle of Man) must self-isolate for 14 days on arrival, unless they are eligible for and opt into a 'test on day 7' option. This is a legal requirement, and failure to comply is a criminal offence. 

Where you are required to self-isolate for 14 days, you must not leave your accommodation and you must not leave the Island.

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

And that’s fair enough, but not everyone feels the same.  I would prefer a bit more travel in and out with some social distancing and masks if need be.

There isn’t a right or wrong, but we are possibly getting to a point where public opinion needs to be properly measured.

New Zealand are also in a position where people with family who don’t live there are staring to talk about relocating

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Guernsey may be allowing UK residents in, but only if they self isolate for 14 days. Not many people will be taking them up on that.

All persons arriving in to The Islands of Guernsey ('the Bailiwick') from anywhere in the world (with the exception of the Isle of Man) must self-isolate for 14 days on arrival, unless they are eligible for and opt into a 'test on day 7' option. This is a legal requirement, and failure to comply is a criminal offence. 

Where you are required to self-isolate for 14 days, you must not leave your accommodation and you must not leave the Island.

Or opt for the 7 day test if eligible, but the main thing is they let families in.

just returned from testing, not the most pleasant experience. However the staff were extremely pleasant and talked through process. Said may get a call later this evening with results or call after 9am tomorrow.

the test was about 5 1/2 days after returning Sunday night. Seemed busy at test centre with 2 cars in front & 4 behind.

Edited by Banker

1 hour ago, Banker said:

The big difference with Guernsey is that they allow UK residents in and they are investing a lot on money on their next phase of testing on arrival as they realize this virus is here to stay and borders can’t stay closed permanently.

when they go to next phase I would assume that will be end of direct flights there as the pitchfork brigade like PK will be in trolling overdrive.

The Guernsey entry criteria are more stringent than those on Mannin. Not only on the length of time in self-isolation but also, unlike Mannin where you can arrive and leave in a few days, on Guernsey you are stuck there until the 15th day.

Incidentally the iom's borders aren't permanently closed - as you found out last week...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The Guernsey entry criteria are more stringent than those on Mannin. Not only on the length of time in self-isolation but also, unlike Mannin where you can arrive and leave in a few days, on Guernsey you are stuck there until the 15th day.

Incidentally the iom's borders aren't permanently closed - as you found out last week...

Yes , no system is perfect but I still think we should allow families to visit here as long as they follow existing restrictions . We also need some planning as to what we do if no vaccine available until say October 2021

• Like 1