IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Ok.  So I haven’t read the thread up to date.

People will be along shortly to tell us to grow up and that we can go across if we need to and that we “only have to isolate for 14 days” but guess what.  We both work and neither are in a position to do that.

My wife has just spent most of the morning crying her eyes out and telling me she wants to move back to the UK so she can see family and friends.

I am Manx and my family and friends are mainly here although I do normally travel regularly to see others who are dotted around England Scotland and Wales.  She has lived here less than three years and her family and close friends (people she has known a lifetime, rather than the close friends she has made here in the last couple of years) are mainly in the northeast of England and South Wales.  In “normal” times we are off island most weekends and while this current situation is making things hard for me it is having a real and significant impact on her mental health to the extent that she wants to relocate.

In the short term we have agreed that she put in her notice at work tomorrow and head back to the UK for a week to see those she can (subject to local restrictions, especially in wales).

I get that lots of people don’t need to travel and it makes no difference to them.  I have just checked back over the calendar and in 2019 we made over 100 trips off island between us for work and pleasure.  This situation just simply isn’t sustainable.  She is really, really unwell this morning due to it and there needs to be a clearly published roadmap back to some workable travel solutions.

I might be ranting, as seeing the person you love in pieces when so many people are simply screaming “close the borders” with no alternative plan or understanding that not everyone lives their lives like they do is really starting to wind me up.

Loads of sympathy with you on this as i will be seeing my wife and kids this week for the first time in 3 months. I suspect that I might not get to see them at Christmas as it makes no sense to make 3 people prisoners in the house and i don't think my work will stomach me being off then back on Island away from work in isolation so soon after a previous visit.

I guess its a matter of making big life choices if things don't change within ths next 6 months but i accept this is how it is. I wouldn't want the death of vulnerable people on my conscience just to accommodate my circumstances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having recently returned from the UK it’s not the Apocalypse that a number of the Facebook brigade make out with every person being infected with a deadly virus.

The restaurants are all well run with waiters in masks, tables distanced, hand sanitizers every where etc. 

The streets are busier at weekends but we just wore face masks in busy areas. The only large groups wandering around were teenagers and upto 21 , none with face masks on.

Be interested to see the age profile of cases over past few weeks as I’m guessing that most will be in under 25 categories with many being students.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

If they had a duty of care then why are they allowing so many people to die of other things?  Why not keep them informed on those?

Because they're not highly contagious?

Lobby your MHK...

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I guess its a matter of making big life choices if things don't change within ths next 6 months but I accept this is how it is. I wouldn't want the death of vulnerable people on my conscience just to accommodate my circumstances.

Which is the massive problem Mr Quayle et al have right now.

When the virus got into Abbotswood it was brutal.

I wouldn't want that on my conscience either....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Because they're not highly contagious?

So?

If, as you say, the government has a duty of care to stop people dying, then why isn't the proportionate amount of effort being put into stopping people smoking, drinking and eating excessively?

Whether something is contagious isn't hugely important if it's barely killing anyone compared to say, heart disease or cancer?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Which is the massive problem Mr Quayle et al have right now.

I think most people accept and appreciate that they’re doing a good job under almost impossible circumstances. But this idea that government is there to save lives at any cost is just nonsensical. Nobody was responsible for those deaths at Abbotswood. It was an unfortunate and tragic consequence of a pandemic and people tried their best. That’s all you can expect. When did it stop being about the NHS resources and start being about government should let nobody die of COVID-19 ever even if that destroys millions of peoples lives and bankrupts the country? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

So?

If, as you say, the government has a duty of care to stop people dying, then why isn't the proportionate amount of effort being put into stopping people smoking, drinking and eating excessively?

Whether something is contagious isn't hugely important if it's barely killing anyone compared to say, heart disease or cancer?

Lobby your MHK....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I think most people accept and appreciate that they’re doing a good job under almost impossible circumstances. But this idea that government is there to save lives at any cost is just nonsensical. Nobody was responsible for those deaths at Abbotswood. It was an unfortunate and tragic consequence of a pandemic and people tried their best. That’s all you can expect. When did it stop being about the NHS resources and start being about government should let nobody die of COVID-19 ever even if that destroys millions of peoples lives and bankrupts the country? 

The government of the day have a duty of care to ALL of their citizens.

How they interpret that into policy is up to them...

Just now, P.K. said:

The government of the day have a duty of care to ALL of their citizens.

How they interpret that into policy is up to them...

So they should ban smoking, alcohol, drugs, TT racing, and cars that have road accidents and kill people and a whole pile of other stuff if you really believe that. It’s a shame they don’t just let you sign the equivalent of a DNR letter that says you won’t take up NHS resources if you catch covid and then just get the hell out of dictating your life and leave you to manage the risks. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

So?

Also there have been and continue to be substantial delays in things like cataracts & other eye procedures, dental issues and probably orthopedic.

Yes I have lobbied MHK 

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Really paints us as a forward thinking & modern jurisdiction.

Well done Howard & those medical experts.

The people interviewed in that article seem especially thick. Comparisons with UK politicians are irrelevant.

Just like New Zealand, the IOM is doing rather well. Certainly much better than the UK. It's great that life and business is mostly able to carry on as normal here.

So yes - thanks to everyone involved.

• Like 1

Lots of talk that one of the welders who went to Tesco has tested positive and the prison is now on full lockdown.

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out as he obviously has been in contact with police, prisoners, wardens, plus he went to Tesco (wearing a mask)

Not seen anything official yet but am surprised there hasn’t been a confirmation or denial givin the level of chat about it.