IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

When do the current emergency powers run out. Is it Mid June? If so the temporary 40mph speed restriction is enacted under this act and would fall away with the act, so why are they proposing a further 'temporary' limit in mid June. I am assuming that they want another emergency period. Am I getting this wrong?

1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

I am assuming that they want another emergency period. Am I getting this wrong?

My guess would be yes - perhaps with many (but not all) of the emergency acts rescinded. No way could they open the border in June. There would be a public outcry as any good could be seriously undone in a couple of weeks.

• Thanks 3

Yup OOTB that's the one. The 1936 Emergency Powers Act.

The Governor issues a declaration that there's an emergency. This lasts 30 days and then has to be renewed. Here's how they renew it http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/opqp/2020-PP-0098s2.pdf

Here's the declaration made by Gozzer http://www.tynwald.org.im/links/tls/SD/2020/2020-SD-0296.pdf

If they don't renew, everything lapses.

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2020 at 5:21 PM, Roger Mexico said:

But people do see themselves differently and that is what makes national identity important to people and how it differs across the British Isles.  Cultural references are not all the same - not only do England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have ones that differ from each other (often quite extensively), they differ internally as well with regional and other factors.

But even when cultural references are shared, they don't imply anything more than that.  Just because we may get references to US culture it doesn't make us American.

People are perfectly entitled to decide just how British they are or not and what that Britishness means to them.   Saying "You are British and that is defined by whatever the London Press dictates this week", is not going to work.

Sorry it took me a long time to reply to this post; During weekdays I have some pressure.

By no means I meant Britishness according to a narrow interpretation London-centric. I do see the British isles sharing a cultural system that is a distinct case of the Anglosphere. As concerns the specific case of this island, I remind you that slightly more than half of the people living here are “British immigrants” rather than Manx born; thus, you can’t characterise the isle just as “Manx”.

In the meantime, it seems that, thanks to the border closure, the virus has practically disappeared from the isle. Ten days without a sole Covid case! It bodes well for the resumption of a (nearly) normal life on the island. But the plan appears to be to keep the border closed for ever and ever…

My concerns is that right now so many companies are downsizing staff levels; and with that border closed, actually only working the way of the exit, their IOM offices may be the first ones to get the cull. See the new thread about SES closing IOM offices, for instance. The island cannot exist in a vacuum.

Interesting that Jersey are considering changing quarantine rules as follows;

• Confirmation that air passengers are being offered tests on arrival in Jersey which would remove the need for a 14-day quarantine period. A pilot testing programme, which began yesterday, means self-isolation is only necessary for the 24-48 hour period until the test result is available.

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

Interesting that Jersey are considering changing quarantine rules as follows;

• Confirmation that air passengers are being offered tests on arrival in Jersey which would remove the need for a 14-day quarantine period. A pilot testing programme, which began yesterday, means self-isolation is only necessary for the 24-48 hour period until the test result is available.

At least it’s pragmatic which we’re all going to have to be. I see even Spain is banning the Brits until the UK government gets a better handle on the total mess it’s making of its Covid crisis even though it desperately needs tourists to re-boot its economy so that will give fuel to our own Covid nutters still yelling and screaming about the infection risk from people coming from the UK and wanting the borders closed for another year or so. So testing is probably the best way to go to manage the push back from those people and get the economy going again. We have a relatively low volume of flights (lower then Jersey certainly) so if that’s what it takes we’re probably going to have to do it. 

37 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The bigger challenge would be volume.  Quite often get a full easyjet flight and another flight or two landing in close proximity and you could be talking 300 plus people waiting for tests.  Very resource intensive. 

Could initially be trialled on the returning local residents which are a max of 100 per week to save all that hassle of checks, 14 day quarantine etc.

Buy a couple of boarding houses in Morecombe, get a small lab on the go, 24 hour stay before you travel to the island, test incorporated into price,  sell the hotels in a couple of years if the eden north ever gets built for a hefty profit.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Buy a couple of boarding houses in Morecombe, get a small lab on the go, 24 hour stay before you travel to the island, test incorporated into price,  sell the hotels in a couple of years if the eden north ever gets built for a hefty profit.

:-). Just like the old pet passport procedure.