IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

You’re completely missing the point. 

Testing on entry or in a short period beforehand is risky and can lull into false sense security.

But combined with testing after 7 days and if both negative quarantine ending is a risk averse compromise.

Test on arrival, or in 72 hours before arrival, would keep out some asymptomatic affected travellers.

The point I'm making is that those who contract the virus a day or two before entry their test will be negative. If they are then allowed into the general populace they could be spreading the virus for a day or two before a supplementary test is positive.

A test prior to entry from the UK will be delivered by whom? The TT & I system of the UK is a shambles. I suppose you could get one done privately but that will just be a bit of paper that says you have.

Can't see it working myself.

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I would love to understand what the long term economic shifts are other than stagnation and eventual putrifaction.

Covid is accelerating economic, social and technological trends which we were already seeing.

The upsides are around innovation. Disruption and change is always ultimately what drives economies.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

What I find so difficult with the likes of you and PK,  is that you have no conception of the ramifications of the current situation in very many different contexts.   Yes, we all want to be safe, but we also have to accept that our perception of safe can amount to terrible isolation and limitations for others.

Excuse me but just because we don't drip and moan about it doesn't mean we are unaware of the current situation and it's ramifications.

It just means we don't drip and moan about it.

Less of the judgemental if you don't mind....

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The point I'm making is that those who contract the virus a day or two before entry their test will be negative. If they are then allowed into the general populace they could be spreading the virus for a day or two before a supplementary test is positive.

A test prior to entry from the UK will be delivered by whom? The TT & I system of the UK is a shambles. I suppose you could get one done privately but that will just be a bit of paper that says you have.

Can't see it working myself.

You miss John's point that a test on entry or before COMBINED with a follow up test after 7 days may be the way to reduce the isolation period.

Just now, Gladys said:

You miss John's point that a test on entry or before COMBINED with a follow up test after 7 days may be the way to reduce the isolation period.

No I don't miss the point.

I've already posted how I can't see a test a day or two before travelling is a viable option.

How would you make it work?

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

No I don't miss the point.

I've already posted how I can't see a test a day or two before travelling is a viable option.

How would you make it work?

Same way that all the other countries that do it do, but with the addition of another test after 7 days to minimise the risks further.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Same way that all the other countries that do it do, but with the addition of another test after 7 days to minimise the risks further.

Take travelling from the UK. What system can do a test on an individual a day or so prior to travel that is not only acceptable to IOMG but is also not open to abuse?

25 minutes ago, pongo said:

Covid is accelerating economic, social and technological trends which we were already seeing.

The upsides are around innovation. Disruption and change is always ultimately what drives economies.

Yes, but that is more likely in economies that haven't been artificially shackled.  I agree that one of the upsides from this will be innovation, but if the economy is shot, innovation will wither and die on the vine.  We need to get things moving again  globally, that will then provide a better foundation for innovative change. 

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Take travelling from the UK. What system can do a test on an individual a day or so prior to travel that is not only acceptable to IOMG but is also not open to abuse?

How about an IOMG test centre in Heysham?  Or IOMG contract a private health facility near each of the departure points?