IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

32 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is broke, and the brokenness will become more and more apparent.

Wrong.

The system is not broken. It's working as designed. And working well it would seem.

It is, of course, designed around the characteristics of the virus. That's how it's working.

There are, of course, commercial casualties starting with anyone involved with the tourist industry.

There are also those who will have to make financial sacrifices to be with family etc but that will be their choice to make.

But to bang on and on about what the CI's are doing and that IOMG should follow their lead is a nonsense. Myself and others have already pointed out that evidence of the borders being open only to residents and key workers is damaging to the economy is thin on the ground. Plus I've never been a "profit before people" person but I do recognise that they exist and push their agenda....

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I don't think there has been a single poster who would put vulnerable people at risk, so why another lockdown?

Everyone who wants the current controls on the border relaxed is prepared to put vulnerable people at risk.

Sure they will huff and puff about infection rates and so forth but as they can't guarantee that relaxing the borders will give the same level of protection it's a moot point...

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, P.K. said:

The point I'm making is that those who contract the virus a day or two before entry their test will be negative. If they are then allowed into the general populace they could be spreading the virus for a day or two before a supplementary test is positive.

A test prior to entry from the UK will be delivered by whom? The TT & I system of the UK is a shambles. I suppose you could get one done privately but that will just be a bit of paper that says you have.

Can't see it working myself.

You either can’t read, comprehend, or lockdown in MTown has got to you. Pre test plus isolation and second test,  is what I said. Your para 1 still misses the point. The idea is to find safe ways of reducing quarantine.

Why Do you suppose it’d be TTI. It’d clearly be private. There’s huge private testing capacity. There’s many countries require pre entry PCR, Greece and Cyprus, to name two. And turn round is sub 12 hours. And results are Electronic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Apple said:

Agreed.  I said up three that this is a PR nightmare but was dismissed by the usual suspects.

As an island we are getting absolutely torn apart on a number of forums etc.

People who have never heard of the place saying they will never visit and suggesting the human rights card is pulled by the UK.  Reference to backwaters, Royston Vasey, The Wicker Man etc people going on about how we lock up gay people and had the birch until relatively recently.

I think it has the potential to cause some real issues. Hope I am wrong

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

Everyone who wants the current controls on the border relaxed is prepared to put vulnerable people at risk.

Sure they will huff and puff about infection rates and so forth but as they can't guarantee that relaxing the borders will give the same level of protection it's a moot point...

Absolutely wrong.

I wouldn’t want any vulnerable person put at risk.

Thats why I’d advocate they isolate & allow the population at large to get back at it & accept the risks.

• Like 1

"Positive cases of Covid-19 are rising weekly in Doncaster, with the climbing infection rate meaning that it is increasingly likely the area will become a coronavirus hotspot."

They were coming from a high infection rate environment to "have a jolly".

Tesco was "busy" when they visited.

I have no sympathy, particularly for the supervisors/managers.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

That’s not true. I’m vulnerable, and I’ve travelled extensively the last 8 weeks. I’ve had to take tests and I’ve experience of various regimes in various countries and crossing various borders.

Ive been careful and responsible. I’ve avoided hot spots.

We can’t stay as we are for ever. I’m trying to explore safe ways forward, to reduce time in isolation and keep risk at safe levels.

Its a balance between what’s politically and medically acceptable. Politically it’s the pitchfork brigade clamouring for total lock down. Something we have never had. Key workers have always been able to come and go. Then we had returnees, then compassionate, then residents able to leave and return.

None have resulted in any leak into the community.

Perhaps @wrightyand @rachomicscould comment on the suggestion of pre entry testing, admission only if negative, followed by 7 days strictly enforced isolation, then a second test and if negative then no further restriction.

Lots of countries are requiring testing within the 72 hours before arrival. As @rachomicssays it seems odd and can give a false sense of security absent further measures and follow up. Lots of countries are using 10, rather than 14 day quarantine.

Im trying to see if there’s a next step along the road to the new normal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

Will you be OK if, say, companies providing maintenance for health equipment decide it is not worth the risk of sending staff over? 

And don't think that because they are involved in health, they are any more likely to abide by the rules.  Someone who is connected with some kind of health service provider to Nobles said that when they next visit they will 'sneak out' to visit a relative's grave. The resounding reply was 'do not do that'. I won't get more specific,  but that is illustrative of the leaky sieve we already have whilst everyone is feeling we are bombproof.  Better to face up to reality and accept it.

we wouldn't want dead relatives to catch the virus would we.    i find it ironic that the UK police enforcing the rule of 6 turn up with mire than 6 of themselves,  they must be spreading the virus far more than joe public.

Edited by WTF

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

Wrong.

The system is not broken. It's working as designed. And working well it would seem.

It is, of course, designed around the characteristics of the virus. That's how it's working.

There are, of course, commercial casualties starting with anyone involved with the tourist industry.

There are also those who will have to make financial sacrifices to be with family etc but that will be their choice to make.

But to bang on and on about what the CI's are doing and that IOMG should follow their lead is a nonsense. Myself and others have already pointed out that evidence of the borders being open only to residents and key workers is damaging to the economy is thin on the ground. Plus I've never been a "profit before people" person but I do recognise that they exist and push their agenda....

I haven't 'banged on' about the CIs and it isn't profits before people, it is peoples' livelihoods and general health I am concerned about.

But you are OK with your public sector pensions, so everyone else can just suck it up.